• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Florida "Experts" Debunk Bathroom Predator Myth

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

http://mediamatters.org/research/2016/01/12/florida-experts-debunk-the-transgender-bathroom/207916

In case your wondering why I put "experts" in quotation marks, its only because being a government employee or a police official doesn't, on its own, qualify someone to become an expert in sexual predator issues, IMO.

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I have put my 2 cent definition of an expert in here before, but here goes again; X is the mathematical symbol for an unknown number. A spurt is a drip of water under pressure. Thus an Xspurt is an unknown drip under pressure. That definition does fit many government officials that I worked with over the years. (Another government employee here.)

They have credit for admitting that they have no knowledge of any problems, and for at least being able to access information that has no information about problems. You cannot prove a negative!! Lets see the opponents come up with valid government records that show a problem actually exists and my hat will be off to them.

I have long suspected that the people who run that Liberty Counsel curse are closet perverts!!

• Admin

I have long suspected that the people who run that Liberty Counsel curse are closet perverts!!

Wouldn't be the first time, Vicky.

Carolyn Marie

Geez, is this rocket science??? What the Chicken Little theorists of the Boogieman fears fail to understand or accept is that someone would have to be as dumb as them to commit such a crime in public in a tiny room with only one entry/exit. One screem and they know they would be in bracelets. Dah!

We the people, hold these stupidities to be self evident??? All others please grow up or seek psychiatric help for your unfounded phobias! Excuse me I gotta go pee.

BTW, we are not running into the Men's room to get us some either.

Any fabrication of these type crimes could be a staged backlash to these findings should be carefully scrutinized as the fear mongers twisted little minds at work. They don't have a problem to work with, so they will have to fabricate one. Oops, excuse my paranoia of them.

So I have a question about this actually, has anyone ever been confronted while using the restroom of their choice? I mean, worst case scenario and the people back these weird bathroom laws. Aside from people who are newly transitioning, what are the actual chances someone would actually be encountered and questioned and by then what's to make them stick around for someone else to show up I. Response? I do understand that not everyone can be stealth, but if you've made it far enough along into the transition and have your paperwork done (ID and such) then again would it still effect us?

I think aside from the fact that it's literal fearmongering, and discrimination; that it wouldn't have a giant impact. Maybe an inconvinece? I may be wrong in that, feel free to correct me.

~JB

• Admin

Personally, no, I've never had a problem in 4-5 years out and about. I've read all kinds of posts here, thousands of them, and can't recall off hand anyone saying they were accosted or questioned upon entering a restroom. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but my impression is it is very rare.

Carolyn Marie

I remember first going to the public ladies room on November 7th 2014, I had been on hormones for four months by then, and I just blended in. I came out to work two weeks later thus going full time. I have never had anyone ever show signs that they thought I might not belong there in the ladies room. I blend in very well, hormones, and shaving my face did some amazing things for me. I recently added a thread showing my two driver's license photos side by side for comparison, a really big difference. :) In any case, I haven't had any problems.

hugs,

Stephanie

• Admin

I have had some apprehensive males direct me to the Ladies Room, and one man told "where my wife and daughter" are going just now as he gestured oblivious to the fact I was Trans*!!. I have not yet seemed to be able to terrorize the other patrons of the "Girl's Room" and wonder what I am doing wrong when I think of all this malarkey coming from these folks. that says I have to do harm.

I have not yet seemed to be able to terrorize the other patrons of the "Girl's Room" and wonder what I am doing wrong

Don't shave for a week. Wear a gaudy sloppy dress. Wear muddy scuffed old Army surplus boots and mis matched socks. Swagger in banging the door. Stand in the stall with the door open. Drop nasty male chonies to your ankles then start to pee standing up. Miss the bowl. Loudly belch and flatulate, exclaim Ahhh! Then scratch your butt. When you bend over to retrieve those nasty drawers, look back between your legs to see their reactions.

Swagger out and washer your hands. Belch again and exclaim "How bout those (add sports team name)???" Take a huge wad of paper towel and throw it on the floor in front of the trash receptical. Then swagger large out the door again.

Gee, where have we all seen this before!?!

Well, that should about do it. The Potty Police will be waiting for you outside.

Thank God I never have to go back in that smelly male place again. Please may I have the disinfectant and sanitizer so I can hug again? JodyAnn

• Forum Moderator

Jody you crack me up. While the ladies doesn't always meet one's hope for perfection it has always been better than the men's room. it is occasionally simply beautiful.

Unfortunately did have a friend who was extremely upset about being literally dragged fro a restroom in New Orleans. She was just beginning her transition and was in a bar (without buying a drink) listening to music. I have never had a problem myself and feel quite comfortable at this point.

These folks are simply nuts. Unfortunately loud mouth nuts can make big waves.

Hugs,

Charlize

Jody you crack me up. While the ladies doesn't always meet one's hope for perfection it has always been better than the men's room. it is occasionally simply beautiful.

Unfortunately did have a friend who was extremely upset about being literally dragged fro a restroom in New Orleans. She was just beginning her transition and was in a bar (without buying a drink) listening to music. I have never had a problem myself and feel quite comfortable at this point.

These folks are simply nuts. Unfortunately loud mouth nuts can make big waves.

Hugs,

Charlize

I think that mental image or some variations there of, are what these potty haters conjure up in their minds. The men's room and male pecking order are their point of reference, however sad that is. More the pitty, more the work ahead for us. Hug. JodyAnn

Does it really take "experts" to debunk that fear-mongering? I think we should simply bring some transguy (the more passing, the more effective it'll be) to meet those toilet-obsessed legislators and have him ask them "So, you want me to go into the ladies room?"

I have heard about some trans* girls and women talking to courts and legislators to try and bring them back to their senses, but I think it'd be a better strategy to focus efforts from the other side of the gender spectrum.

IMO, the simplest counter to the "predator fallacy" is this:

Sure, hypothetically, a predator could pretend to be a trans* woman to enter the ladies' room without these regulations.

But a predator could also pretend to be a trans man to enter the ladies' room with these regulations in place.

They don't solve the problem they claim to address, and they cause additional issues. It's an objectively loss-loss approach.

Hugs,

Edu