• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Gender dysphoria causing ED?

Paranoid Princess

Hi, I'm wondering if for anyone else their eating disorder has been caused by their gender dysphoria?

For me, as an MTF transgender, I started going through long fasts of up to 72 hours, and using laxatives for weight loss so that I would have a smaller, more feminine body. I also did this as a hope to stop myself from going through puberty, because in my mind I thought if I ate little enough my body wouldn't go through puberty.

"Masculine" body features of mine have also been triggering, such as broad shoulders, rounded stomach and having muscular body.

I've spent some time on eating disorder forums such as myproana, and I've seen many FTMs talk about how they would fast or restrict to stop mensturating, to have smaller breasts and less curves on their body, to look more like an adolescent boy.

I'm wondering if for anyone else here their gender has played a role in their eating disorder?

• Admin

When we do not know, or merely suspect that we know what is going on with our bodies and damn well do not like it we do many things that are capable of harming us. The list of ways we abuse our bodies to see if we can change the direction of their development goes on for volumes and volumes. The list of things we do to change our brains is about the same as the bodily items is just as long. One thing seems to change that almost completely, and that is ACCEPTANCE of our condition by ourselves first, and our families and communities nearly neck and neck. From that ACCEPTANCE, we can seek out medical assistance in many forms, beginning with Gender Therapy leading to Hormone Therapy and social changes.

My suggestion is that you read the other posts in this forum, and you will see the degree that GD does play in eating problems. Many of our members, present and past have kicked ED in the head and gone on to do what they needed to be the wonderful people they were born to be.

• 5 weeks later...

I suspect that this is the case with my excessive eating and binge eating, personally, though I am still looking into the issue and want to address it once I have counseling set up in here (I just moved this week). How much that generalizes, I can't really say.