• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Big day tomorrow, out to best friends

Jani

• Forum Moderator

Well, tomorrow we'll visit our best and oldest friends who live an hour away in another state for dinner. We haven't seen them since last November. I'm bringing the main course, salmon and they're providing the rest. My therapist has been after me about telling them but I've been waiting for the appropriate time. It has come! I'm nervous. I am confident it will be fine but... I've known this guy since I was 18 and his wife two years later. So we have over 40 years of history.

Our last date was a concert and the wife did make a comment about my hair length. I shrugged it off as being to poor for haircuts now that I'm retired. When we arrive I'm going to suggest opening a bottle of wine and having some conversation before we start to cook. I'm sure my lack of beard shadow, longer hair and earrings will pique a little interest.

What I'll say is what I've said to my family so no need to rehearse lines. I'm bringing a copy of Jenny Boylan's book, "She's Not There" for them to read later, hoping it will provide some insight and answer any questions they might not feel like addressing right away.

I have close to fifty people in my life that I'm out to; my family, my doctors and people at a few business I frequent. We have a small circle of close friends and this is the first one I'm revealing too. I hope it goes well so I can move on to the others. I will feel much better when its all done!

Wish me luck,

Jani

• Admin

It seems to go slowly, but it all gets done, and is so great a relief you will not believe it. Best wishes, you have chosen a very good book for them to use as a reference and an insight to you.

• Forum Moderator

Best of luck to you! I've been 98 percent lucky and hope you do even better.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest LesleyAnne

All the best to you Jani :)

I certainly know the nervousness associated with telling an old friend that has known you for a good part of your life.

Good idea about the Jenny Boylan book...I hadn't thought of that.....

Anyway I wish you a welcome reception to your news. I'm sure it will be fine. :wub:

Success Jani,I look forward to hearing how well it went!

jeannie

The best to you Jani !. In 1996 I came out to my best friend, he after 42 years is still my best friend. His wife of 10 years is supportive. His daughter is very sick and I had a life threatening event and we are there for each other. He still doesn't get it but is very protective of me. Sarah

• Forum Moderator

Well it all went good. When we arrived we settled into catch up conversation as a lot has been going on in our lives. When we finally wound down to start preparing dinner I said I had one more thing to tell them. I gave a brief history and said that my personality wasn’t changing and that I would be the same person they know. They were surprised but not shocked. My friend said OK as long as I don’t change my opinion of tools. He’s a machinist and we’ve both done woodworking. I reassured him that this bond would not be broken but I would be more careful not to break my nails!

When I gave them the book, the wife who is a librarian said they had it in their stacks and that the author had actually come to the library once for a presentation. There were questions for my wife about how she was doing with it all and about the state of our marriage. She reassured them all was good with us.

As I had hoped, they were accepting and supporting. What a relief. Oh, and we had a great dinner and dessert. When we were leaving my friend offered his best wishes with my journey. I do have wonderful friends.

Thank you all for your kind words of support also.

Jani

Groovy news Jani! It is truly a great feeling to get in touch, and keep in touch, with old friends during transition's journey. May all your friends accept you as these have. :)

hugs,

Stephanie

• Forum Moderator

You're right Stephanie. I guess that's why they are old (and dear) friends. I'm hoping for similar results as I go through my list. Thanks to everyone for their kind words. Sometimes a sounding board like this is all I need to keep me moving.

Thanks!

Jani

Guest LesleyAnne

Awesome news Jani :thumbsup:

One just never knows how it will be received, and when it is well received, it is so nice to hear kind words of support! :wub:

I've lost some friends over this, and it has estranged my youngest son, and his wife whom I thought would be the most supportive. Out of my two sons, and their wives, I was surprised that it was my oldest son, and his wife who embraced me. :(

It hurts to your very core when a loved one turns away, but as we all know, it eventually has to be faced.

So happy for you Jani, and my wish for you is continued success as you work down your list :)

LesleyAnne

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KerryUK

Hi Jani,

I always seem to be late to the party (that does make me very sad and a little cross). Do accept my apologies for not coming to wish you all the very best of luck before you went to visit your friends. I am thrilled for you that it went so well. That's another of the hurdles well and truly jumped Jani - the hurdles do seem to become easier to jump as you progress too. Good for you girl.

Kerry

• Forum Moderator

Thanks Kerry! I know we have a time zone difference to contend with and you also have a job to tend to so I fully understand. Yes it went quite well, all things considered. They are truly my dearest of friends. The next time we see them I will be in full feminine mode so that will be interesting too.

Jani

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 52 Guests (See full list)

• Heather Shay
    • Maddee
    • Willow
    • Pip
    • Rachel Stockport
    • April Marie
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Tiffany Cross
    Newest Member
    Tiffany Cross

1. Clara_D
      Clara_D
      (53 years old)
    2. Deborah121
      Deborah121
      (64 years old)
    3. Kerry_Autumn
      Kerry_Autumn
      (38 years old)
    4. OC
      OC
    • Petra Jane
      We have been asked to bring the following to the attention of our members. Please note that you would need to send an email to receive the actual survey link.   Seeking Interview Participants for Research Study on Digital Spaces of Transgender Belonging What is the Study About? Over the past several decades, the Internet has fundamentally changed how trans people form community spaces, explore gender identity, and practice community care. My dissertation will evaluate trans people's relationships to digital trans spaces, and I am conducting interviews as part of this research study. Who Qualifies? To qualify for this study, you must: • Be 18 years of age or older, • Identify as transgender or otherwise gender nonconforming (such as, but not limited to, nonbinary, genderqueer, genderfluid, agender, or Two-Spirit), • Have sought out online transgender resources or communities, AND • Currently live in the United States. What Does It Involve? A brief (five minute) screening survey, later followed by a virtual interview lasting approximately one hour. You will receive $75 after participating in an interview as compensation for your time. Your participation in this interview is completely voluntary. If you choose to participate, you will be asked to reflect on your history with trans online communities and resources. Data Usage and Confidentiality Policy This research study is being conducted as part of a Ph.D. dissertation, which will be published. Raw or identifiable data, including interview transcripts and recordings, will not be made publicly available. Analysis from this study may be presented publicly or included in future publications. Further, your confidentiality will be respected during this study. The data collected for the study will be de-identified prior to any analysis, publication, or report resulting from the study. Identifying documents, such as consent forms, will be stored separately from all other data on a password-protected computer. If you are selected for an interview, we will review these policies and your rights in greater detail. Interested in participating? Email [email protected] to receive a link to the screening survey. Want to learn more about the study? Visit the study's website at: https://sites.google.com/view/transdigitalstudy/about-the-dissertation Lead Researcher: Theodore Davenport (he/they), Ph.D. Candidate at the Department of Geography, University of Washington. Please reach out at [email protected] or (253) 271-8574‬ (private line with call, text, and VM) with any questions or concerns. Contact for subject rights: UW Human Subjects Division, [email protected] or call at 206-543-0098. Institution Supervising Research Study University of Washington Web Address for Study Participation https://sites.google.com/view/transdigitalstudy/interview-recruitment
    • VickySGV
      This will head for a court case and the notable fact that the people opposing puberty blockers is that they have not revealed their source and its competence.  It will be present the evidence and let your "experts" sit on the grill above the hot coals. 
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Pretty typical for many nations.... corrupt police, and only great effort by the victim's family will eventually yield prosecution.  Conviction is uncertain, and sentencing even more so. 
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.ncronline.org/news/2-conservative-groups-influence-us-catholic-transgender-policies     Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.washingtonblade.com/2024/05/21/argentine-authorities-charge-10-police-officers-with-murdering-transgender-woman/   Wow.  This is bad, even for Argentina.  Let's hope these charges result in convictions.   Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-politics-and-policy/south-carolina-governor-signs-ban-gender-affirming-care-transgender-mi-rcna153382   Shameful, unscientific decisions will harm trans kids in S.C., but these people don't care.   Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      Welcome to Trans Pulse, Bobbi.  It's nice to meet you.  I remember well all the emotions you mentioned upon starting on this journey, about 15 years ago now.  It's an exciting, albeit scary time, and there will be many questions and decisions along the way.  Any way we can help, all you need to do is ask.  We'll be here for you.   HUGS   Carolyn Marie
    • MaeBe
      Everyone is their own person and has their own way of operating in the world. Being “enough” isn’t for anyone to judge, outside of maybe our closest loved ones, and definitely not those that are trying to measure themselves high by cutting others down. They know I wouldn’t succeed for very long—or at all—keeping my life bifurcated as you, but I am happy you are content with where you’re at with yourself. 
    • Adrianna Danielle
      Paternity test was done today,hoping it is over.Good thing this woman and daughter are coming up,daughter meeting me for the first time.Also reuniting with this woman.It will be good and I am not going to be chewed out.Also liking the new hoist at work in my stall,came in and installed it.Learned how to operate it as well too.Boss has a new heavy duty transmission jack for semi trucks coming too
    • MaeBe
      Ignorance can be bliss sometimes, no?
    • Ivy
      My kids are grown now.  I realize I don't know the half of what they did.  But my parents didn't know the half of what I did either.  It's just how it works.   You kinda know, but please spare me the details.  
    • Birdie
      May more doors open up with more advantageous employment. 🤞
    • MaeBe
      Thank you, @Mmindy!
    • Mmindy
      @MaeBe, Good luck and best wishes on the new start in the Great Northwest. I don’t know a parent that didn’t call out their kids for being drunk or high as rebellious teenagers. I just told my teens that they can’t kid a kidder, and I was a teenager early 1970s we could drink legally at 18 so I have tons of experience spotting drunk kids.    As for the poetry, I liked it.  We never have enough support bras or tee shirts in the rotation.    Hugs,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • Mmindy
      Oh my @KymmieL, I’m sorry you’re on the job hunt again. They didn’t seem to be a good fit for you anyway. You deserve to be treated fairly and not undermined by competing owners who don’t communicate well.    Hugs,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.