• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Beginner makeup tips

Imaginary Spiders

I have never used makeup in my life and don't have a clue, but would like to give it a try. I don't where to start. I know I don't like my eyebrows, I want them to be more noticeable with a feminine shape. They are too thin in my opinion. So where is a good place to start with makeup?

• Forum Moderator

If you have no female friend that can give you tips and cannot get a professional makeover for good initial guidance then I would suggest looking online and learning. That is how I started. There are many videos on Youtube and many womens sites giving tips.

With eyebrows it is a good idea to get a professional job, at least initially, as you would likely get good advice on the shapes which best fit your face. Women's eybrows often tend to be thinner so that is probably to the good. You can use eyebrow makeup to make them more noticeable. If you are doing things youself this would be a good start as, if you don't like what you see you can easily remove it. Look online or in shops to get a feel for what products are available and how they are used.

What you need to do is practice in front of a mirror. I learnt by using makeup daily, as some (but for definate not all) women do.

It takes a while, but one thing to remember is less is more and that it is easy to overdo it and look (as the saying goes) like a panda (I found this easy as, being artistically inclined I tend to throw the colour on :D ).

Good luck

Tracy

Thanks. I've got a lot of learning to do. Basically I'm trying to determine what products I should start with as I don't know anything about makeup. For the eyebrows they are too low and barely noticeable though they are black.

• Forum Moderator

Here's a hint for when you practice or any day you use makeup. Pick up a bottle of makeup remover and a bag of cotton b a l l s. It makes cleaning up so much easier and is much less harsh on your skin than washing with face soap, or whatever you have.

I like to use Neutrogena Cosmetics products. You can go to their website and input some info about your skin type to get recommendations. Good luck and have fun!!

Cheers,

Jani

Edited by Carolyn Marie
Fixed word to avoid comical word filter change
Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Do you feel brave enough to go get your eyebrows waxed at a salon?

Do you have female friends you can ask makeup questions to? If not, there's always YouTube. I'm sure searching "makeup for beginners" would bring up a bunch of helpful videos.

Or just a Google search of "makeup for beginners" should bring up a lot of information.

Like a giant ice cream sundae, don't try to eat it all at once. Take little bites.

Also Walmart has some good makeup remover wipes. If you're using any makeup products that are waterproof (like waterproof mascara), you should find makeup remover products for waterproof makeup, too.