• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Health insurance updates

Jani

• Forum Moderator

In light of the recent post concerning health insurance coverage I am wondering what others have experienced. Specifically I see there could be issues when updating one’s insurance policy for name and gender. I am about ready to complete a name change. I am pre-op but can also update the gender marker on my driver’s license. I don’t know if that makes any difference other than for that one document.

Many members have traveled this road and I believe our collective experiences could be beneficial for all.

So what has been your experience with your insurance provider? What did you have to do to get everything updated and complete? Did you run into any roadblocks? Are there any questions I might have missed? For those over 65, was there anything different once you transferred to Medicare?

Cheers,

Jani

• Forum Moderator

I have yet to have any trouble with medicare or my supplemental insurance provider. That being said i do pay for my hormone HRT supervision and prescriptions out of pocket. My doctor (McGinn) is reasonable and unfortunately does not accept insurance. I would guess that is due to many instances of insurance coverage problems. I also paid for my own orchiectomy for that reason.

Insurance should pay for the services we need. Fortunately the law is being interpreted to give us better coverage but one also may have to fight for coverage of certain procedures. The binary world of gender just leaves us little room to exist. Fortunately the arguments at this point are making our situation a lot more visible and sunlight tends to kill off diseases.

Please take a look at this link: http://forum.lauras-playground.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65892 .

Ravin has been battling insurance for some time and has had good results.

Changing or stopping that change of gender markers should (that's should) not be a problem.

Hugs,

Charlize

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Surprisingly, when I signed up for health insurance through work, my company info already had me listed as female, so my health insurance automatically had me listed as female, too, and that was 2 years before my gender marker was officially changed. So in my case, the problem was already fixed before it even became a problem. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on Medicaid and I was able to change my daughter's name and gender on her insurance with name change order, birth certificate (with new gender) and new SSI card. Was easy with this documentation. The bank was the only place so far that needed old and new bc.