• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Resentments

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

The Book "Alcoholics Anonymous" tells us that resentments are one of the biggest impediments to living a sober life.

One way i can gauge how i'm doing in handling those is simply to take a drive. In certain moods i resent every other car on the road for disturbing my driving pleasure. This ones too slow, that ones too fast and why didn't you do this or that to be a good driver like me.

Yesterday i got cut off twice while out doing errands. In both situations the other vehicle was going to the same store i was headed for. At the first the guy parked well away from the feed store so i was in and picking up supplies before he even came in. I must admit i had a temptation to lay in wait and tell the guy off. Instead i got about my business and soon forgot about him. Let it go.

The second guy cut me off just before entering the office of motor vehicles where i was headed to renew my license for our farm's dump truck. My forms were filled out so even though he was in the building before me he was behind me in line. We were told to change lines and so i went to the teller who had given me my new drivers license almost 4 years ago. He followed me and made a comment about the fact that he was behind me. ( Mmm weird, let it go Charlize.)

The teller and i had a nice chat. She said i needed to get my license redone in July but i could do it now. She then said she remembered me and smiled very nicely with a comment about how horrible NC was in it's recent laws. I told her i had to get home for lunch so i'd come back. At that point the man behind me told me where he was having lunch as if to invite me to join him. (a pass?) It was nice to have an ally at Motor Vehicles, as well as a bit of admiration (despite the source) and i left with a smile.

Later i was on a side street waiting for a light and he drove by, waving and smiling with happiness at seeing me.

I loved it. Funny how my resentments could have kept me from enjoying my time. When i was drinking i know i would have reacted poorly with nasty comments at the least.

There are so many times when life is better if i let go of resentments quickly.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

:thumbsup: Here is todays daily reflection. You're right on Erinanita.

April
THE "NUMBER ONE OFFENDER"

Resentment is the "number one" offender. It destroys more alcoholics than anything else. From it stem all forms of spiritual disease, for we have been not only mentally and physically ill, we have been spiritually sick.

— ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 64

As I look at myself practicing the Fourth Step, it is easy to gloss over the wrong that I have done, because I can easily see it as a question of "getting even" for a wrong done to me. If I continue to relive my old hurt, it is a resentment and resentmentbars the sunlight from my soul. If I continue to relive hurts and hates, I will hurt and hate myself-. After years in the dark of resentments, I have found the sunlight. I must let go of resentments; I cannot afford them.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
Hugs,
Charlize

In my current life situation my Higher Power is teaching me about dealing with resentments.

This little sparrow has her plate full with health setbacks, financial problems, truck troubles, sponsoree issues as just the tip of the iceberg. I'm tested in resentments and faith in my HP. If I sink, I will still swim. Life on life's terms can be very testy. Drat!

I remember a small young sparrow learning to fly. Staring from the nest in fear, flapping weak wings, afraid to take off. Probably if I too am stuck there, my HP will send a gust of wind to overturn my nest. We shall see if I can fly resentment free... Giggle.

My horn has been broken for years, my protests are drive like a patient Lady, or resort to sign language! The former choice being better. "CRAZY WOMAN DRIVER!!!" Proudly I wear that title fellas! LOL!!! Hug.JodyAnn