• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Highway crosses to send our message?

All over Arizona, at intersections and rural roads are peppered with small white crosses as memorials to fatalities and accidents. Most stand for a long time until ADOT finally takes them down, usually after at least a year. This sparks an idea within me that we could use it to send our own message and as a memorial to TDOR, as a message to the current backwash of hatred towards us,

The cross may consist of wood salvaged from broken discarded pallets one can find most anywhere. A can of white paint, some screws, a way to do the lettering, a shovel or a post hole digger, a little time and effort that could make a huge impact to those that are not all consumed in hatred. It may make the haters even more socially unacceptable in the church and state.

Gee, I was just given a pallet a week ago that I salvaged the wood for an unknown project. Lucky Me. I envision my first cross would be lettered on the horizontal with the words "John 3:16" (which most all Christians know.) and on the vertical with something like "Bigotry is a sin", "Jesus doesn't hate" etc... also Proverbs 6:16-19 is a very powerful message, pointed directly at the hate speech spewed by right wing nuts currently.

If I may, could I have your comments, ideas and input of how I could implement this plan. Also any Bible verses that could speak to this issue, the simpler the better. I don't really know how to get the pictures up on the web, but I would love to see the cause go viral. Please share with me your thoughts pro and con on this plan. Hug. JodyAnn

Guest Kenna Dixon

You have sparked another idea.

It would be simple to create a transgender memorial wall in photo editing software and add a small gold plaque with the name as we lose someone. I just don't know where it could have a greater impact - as a Facebook page or as a web site.

• Forum Moderator

I interact with some trans groups in Facebook- a couple are large and there are some people there who are adamantly anti religious -especially anti-Christian and I suspect would be absolutely opposed to crosses. as a religious -particularly a Christian -symbol.

And I fear that as things stand now any real world memorials would be targets of vandalism and worse. A focus for the haters to vent their ire in ways they cannot otherwise. You also would need permission in the city for instance which some would not give because of fear of reprisals. There was a woman hit by a drunk driver near here and there was a huge fight because the family put a cross up on the highway near where it happened. A nearby business owner objected and I believe altercations resulted. You can imagine what would happen with a trans murder.

It is a touching idea but perhaps not one that can be implemented yet.

Johnny