• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

ear piercing

Guest Vicky

• Admin

Do be sure to follow the aftercare instructions carefully and you will be having some new fun in life. I love the large heavier hoops, but it was nearly two months before I could wear them due to healing. Congratulations!!

Also don't remove the piercing studs for the first few days and for the first six weeks keep them in constantly except for cleaning. I didn't do that and it hurt putting the piercing in after taking it out for 8 hours 5 days in.

• Forum Moderator

I had mine done just before i went full time. It was thrilling for me so i know how great it feels. Good advice above. Do as good a job as you can at keeping things clean. I managed to get an infection and thought i'd have to give them up but after a time it settled down.

Hugs,

Charlize

I got my ears pierced yesterday, yay! I didn't realize it would feel so fulfilling. My inverness aftercare instructions say:

1. Always cleanse hands prior to touching your ears.

2. Three times daily, TURN earrings completely around to prevent them from adhering to the ear. DO NOT REMOVE EARRINGS.

3. CLEANSE the pierced area at least three times daily using a clean cotton swab soaking both sides of the ear . . .

4. Keep the pierced area DRY and CLEAN, especially after swimming or exercise. Moist environments breed bacteria and can cause severe infection. Etc.

5. Etc.

Etc.

Read, remember and follow ALL of your aftercare instructions!

Guest KerryUK

Ooooh, I remember when I had my ears pierced. Liberating indeed. I love wearing earrings and I wear a different set every day.

Awesome! You're gonna love it. You'll wonder how you ever wore clips once you get past the healing part and can start wearing the all the lovely fun stuff. And DO follow those aftercare instructions. You can't be too diligent about hand washing, turning them, and cleaning around them. Don't rush the healing period either.

I predict....that soon you'll want a second piercing...and maybe a nose piercing....and... :-) My sweet wife keeps me under control and in line there. And then taunts me with buying all kinds of ear rings for me.

Enjoy!

Briana

• 1 month later...
  • Forum Moderator

I remember getting mine done last December it was such a rush. I was paranoid about getting an infection so I was really careful about cleanliness. I typically wear the same ones every day but do change them if I'm going out. I love colorful ones but the heavier ones get tiring soon.

Let your ears heal then experiment as they really aren't expensive, but they change everything!

Cheers,

Jani

Guest audrey michelle

I remember getting mine pierced a couple of years ago. Like everyone else said it is extremely important to keep them clean and yo clean the studs. I was happy when I got mine done too but the first night of sleep was rough due to the swelling.

I have three pairs. I had a forth pair but I had problems and had to let those heal shut. I love to wear a menagerie in my ears, posts, hoops,dangles no want of variety.

• 5 months later...

I just got my ears pierced yesterday and am not sure why waited so long.

I'm so happy with them.

Hugs and wishing you all a great New year 

Shawnna

• Forum Moderator

Enjoy!  I love earrings.  Just make sure you follow directions so they heal well, stay open and don't get infected.

Hugs,

Charlize

Piercing my ears was the last thing I did before going full time. I love earrings, they're usually the only jewelry I wear. My husband also enjoys buying them as cheap easy gifts.

• Forum Moderator

This is so great Shawnna!  It won't be long before they are healed enough to be able to swap out different one as you dress in different fashions. 

Jani

I got one ear pierced when I was sixteen, had to beg my Dad for years before he relented. Got the other one done almost 25 years later and it is so awesome! I'm not even completely out yet, but I just wear plain steel ball studs while going as a man at work. I only did it because I saw another guy in the company with diamond studs in both ears and I was like, if he can do it, so can I!

• Forum Moderator

The VP of Operations at my former employer had emerald studs and he was older than I, retired military, married, etc, etc.  Pierced ears are just no big deal any longer.

Jani

Guest cheyenne skye

I just don't understand why piercing your ears is a big deal anymore.   I've had 5 holes in my ears for about 25 years now.  I also have had my navel pierced since 99 and my nose is the most recent at 3 years. I only started transition 5 years ago. 

Yep...pierced ears are the best.  There are so many to types and styles to pick from.  Like others have said, be sure to follow the daily cleaning & care instructions.  And please don't try to shortcut them - it's not worth it.

On the topic of earrings...  If you've ever tried to wear clip-ons, you'll wonder why they ever made 'em.  My mom gave me some of hers many moons ago and...and...I just don't know how anyone ever wore them.  Within an hour the pinching crushing aching pain was just too much to bear.

If you ever get anything pierced again, use the professional piercers. The gun used in a mal isn't able to be properly sterilized and they hurt far worse than the other method. I have three ear piercings from gun and one from needle. The needle was SO MUCH BETTER! Almost no pain at all, healed quick!

Just a note............