• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Issues At Home

Guest Draik

Guest Draik

Recently (about 6 months ago) my mom decided to have her boyfriend move in with us and it really is hard for me. I told her I don't want to move in with him because he is completely disrespectful towards me and definitly uses my being trans as a form of verbal abuse on occasions. Several times he has made comments like "you're not a gentleman you're a lady" and "it's not my fault you're PMSing". It really bothers me. I have been uncomfortable around this guy since the moment I met him. I stay in my room most of the day (I take online classes so I don't go to school) because he is down stairs watching TV or playing XBox since he just got laid off. It bugs me and my mom knows how it is but because of money reasons neither of them can afford to move out. About an hour ago was the last straw for me. My sleeping has been a little weird and I was up all night. Times like this have happened before where I read a book or play a game all night and don't get sleep. So I had my television on. I didn't think it was loud but apparently it was because when this guy wakes up he starts blasting his music when I want to sleep. I go to turn it down, he turns it back up. I go to turn it down again and the just goes off on me. "you F*** C***" "Eat S*** and die" " You worthless B****" "All you care about is yourself" and it just kept coming. He kept yelling at me saying I kept him up all night with my TV blasting . It made no sense because first off I've had tons of times where I stay up all night and have my TV on and he has never complained once. Second, He never once came to my room and said "Can you turn it down a little I can't sleep". All he had to do was ask and I would have done it. I NEVER cry and it takes a lot for me to do so but after what that guy said and knowing that my mom still wouldn't kick him out I just went in my room and had like a 1 hour mental/emotional breakdown. This guy know that I'm dealing with depression issues right now and you just don't say stuff like that to a depressed person... or anyone for that matter. For all he knows everyone could come home and I might have killed myself (please don't take that seriously. I'm just saying he doesn't know how serious the issues I'm dealing with might be). I just don't know what to do about this guy anymore. I stay in my room all day and always try to avoid getting in his way. What more Can I Do? Now I'm worried he might try to hurt me because, out of anger I just cut the cord to his XBox, TV, and Stereo. I know, not the smartest or most mature thing to do but I'm tired of this guy treating me like that.

Okay, vetting over. Sorry about this I just, like I said, have no idea how to deal with this guy anymore.

Guest Leigh

well, i don't know how old you are. but if this keeps going on, that guy might not be safe. he sounds like a total...jerk, to put it nicely. you should have a serious talk with your mom. if i were you, i would make it clear to her that you feel threatened by this guy. no one should be able to talk like that to someone else (especially someone younger than them who they're in a position of power over, almost like a parent). talk to your mom. that's the best thing i can tell you.

i hope everything gets cleared up.

peace&love

Guest joe0117

Draik,

I am so sorry. I hope you can stay safe. I want to try to give you some advice but I also feel like it may be more helpful if I knew a little more information about your situation. I have very strong views and opinions about people being abused and threatened. I can't not try to help in some way. I feel like I have been in very similar situations and in situations that have escalated. I am unsure of your age so I don't know if you leaving to stay with a friend is an option without it being seen as running away. However, if you feel that he is escalating or makes threats towards you or you feel unsafe - LEAVE IMMEDIATELY. If you are a minor, then the options are having him removed or you removed from the home. Going to the police and stating that he has threatened you, any physical violence, verbal assaults...and you don't feel safe to return. That really puts the pressure on your mom. Social services should be notified and you should be removed if she doesn't agree to make him move. I don't know if you have another relative you can stay with? If you are 18 or older, you could stay with a friend or a shelter. You could try one more conversation with your mom and give her an ultimatum. You are dealing with depression. That is serious. A stressful, traumatic environment is only going to make it worse and it could compound it with other symptoms like PTSD. You don't want to stick around to find out if it escalates to physical violence if it hasn't already. He isn't showing you any respect and you can point out to your mom that he isn't respecting her to speak to her son that way. He may not respond favorably to your cutting the cords. It may be a very symbolic gesture. It may be that you have to cut the cords with your mom until she comes around to the fact that you are her son and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect - especially in your own home. Some families just can't give you what you need and deserve. Don't stay in an abusive home, the results are long lasting and not favorable. I don't want your depression to get worse and I especially don't want you hurt in any way verbally or physically. I hope your mom can listen to reason and see your pain and respond appropriately to it. Please stay safe. I'll be thinking of you! Stay strong!

Joe

Draik,

You have received some pretty good advice, I know that you realize that cutting the cords on his 'toys' wasn't the best idea, try to explain that to your mother and offer to pay for new cords - let here know what happened and the choices that have to be made for your personal safety!

Make sure she knows that you don't want to leave her but that he is giving you no choice.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest ~Brenda~

Dear Draik,

Does you mother know about the abusive language that her boyfriend uses towards you? This sound like a potentially very dangerous situation. You, at home, not at school. He, at home, not at work. Where is your mother during the day? The boyfriend and you in close proximity all day, and with his attitude towards you. This is not good. If you mother does not know, tell her!! I strongly suggest until he either gets a job, comes to his senses and respects you, or your mother gives him the boot, stay out of his way!! Try to be more mature than he is. This guy strikes me as very unstable and could physically lash out at you at any moment with little or no provocation. The fact that he could yell at you and use profanity to a minor and knowing that you are trans, and still talk you that way is unforgivable. He is supposed to be tha adult, he clearly is not. So for your own sake and safety, try very hard to rise above this idiot.

I think if your mother does not help in mediating this situation (protect you!!) then we are going to have to come up with another strategy on how to deal with what is happeing to you. I would hope that you mother makes it clear to him that he never under any circumstances talk to you that way ever again, or else!!

I do hope things get better. Until thing are resolved, just swallow your pride and be nice to him whenever you have to interact with him. I know this is next to impossible, but fighting with him is only going to get you hurt!!

LOL

bernii

Guest Elizabeth K

DRAIK

This is seriously getting out of hand Does your mother know what's going on? She needs to intervene. YOU ARE IN GRAVE DANGER here - can you leave? IF NOT, CAN YOU LOCK YOUR DOOR! I think it might get worse before it gets better. PLEASE be careful!

Wow -this is worrysome!

PLEASE keep us posted...

Lizzy

Guest Draik

Okay so for everyone who's wondering I just turned 15 last month. And yes, my mother knows about this. I called her up at work hysterical and she couldn't leave work early because she is leaving tomorrow since I have a therapist appointment and it's a new job so she doesn't want to loose it. She knows about past events like when I tried to go downstairs to watch TV but he came home and said I was selfish and always hogging the TV since he wanted to watch a football game and the time when I went stomping around angry because I took my moms cigarettes because she knows I don't like it. I'm not really worried about my safety (yet) He isn't abusive because if he were my mom wouldn't stay around. It's just he doesn't treat me with respect. I try to stay out of his way and I still do something wrong. I don't think I'm in any physical danger I was just worried because he treats his TV more like a human being than me. Like I said I'm only 15, and I just moved to Las Vegas recently. So the only people I know are my mom and some of her friends. That was the other thing that bothered me is that I'm stuck at home with this guy and I have nowhere to go. My closest relatives are in Texas and California. Even if I did try to go there I don't have any money or anything so it would be hard to get away. I tried to say sorry to the guy and tell him why I did it but he just kept yelling at me. I was just standing at the top of the stairs breaking down begging him to let me explain for 1 minute but he just won't let me get a word in. In his mind he's turned this all on me and he did nothing wrong. My mom knows about this and if she thought I was in any physical danger she would leave but because of the financial issue both of them would be on the street if they left.

I strongly suggest until he either gets a job, comes to his senses and respects you, or your mother gives him the boot, stay out of his way!! Try to be more mature than he is.

He does have a job. He's a journeyman or whatever and he works for the county. When shows or conventions come to Las Vegas he help builds them but when they don't have any shows going on he get laid off then brought back. I have tried to be more mature then him. I tried to talk to him calmly but he just yells every second. I tried to explain why I did it but he didn't care he just said that, like always, when I don't get my way I start whining and crying like a baby till I get it. I stood in front of this guy more upset than I can ever remember being and he didn't clue in at all that maybe there was more too the situation.

Guest ~Brenda~

Dear Draik,

Just keep us posted as to what is going on in your life!! We are always here to help you!! Never forget that!

LOL

bernii

Guest Pól_Eire

Draik,

You gotta talk to your mom first of all and make sure she really understands how serious all this stuff is. She's in a position where she could potentially help you.

Joe gave you some solid advice. It might seem extreme from where you're at now, but if you see things starting to escalate, you have to take care of yourself and do what's best for you. This kind of thing can seem not that bad for awhile and then all of a sudden it gets a lot worse and you could end up seriously hurt. When you say "he treats his TV more like a human being than me," that concerns me a lot because if he really feels that way then he'll have less of a problem hurting you if he gets angry enough. It might not get worse, but you have to be prepared to do things quickly if it does. Have a plan.

For the time being, stay out of his way as much as you can and talk to your mom. Maybe even arrange something with one of your mom's friends where you can stay with them if you don't want to be home. You don't have to tell them about this guy, just say something like you want to have someplace safe to stay in case you and your mom argue.

Take care of yourself and watch your back. Keep us posted -- we care what happens to you.

-Pól

Guest joe0117

Hi Draik,

I'm glad to hear that you are safe right now. I agree with Po'l. You need to have a plan just in case. He seems volatile, irritable, and impulsive. That is a dangerous combination. What do you think about bringing your mom into your therapy session and explaining how uncomfortable and threatened you feel? Maybe having a mediator that can point out the potential dangers of the situation and your mom hearing from another adult that his behavior is unacceptable and depending on the threats, crimminal. Verbal abuse can be just as, if not more damaging than physical abuse. You shouldn't have to hide in your own house or feel like you need to walk around on eggshells. I do agree you should avoid him for your own safety but that isn't fair to you and your mom should hear that. If you are home during the day, maybe you could look into joining a gym or a YMCA to get you out of the house for a few hours. If you have to do school work online during that time maybe go to a library. Do you like sports? You could find a park and shoot some hoops or skateboard or run. Get rid of some pent up energy. Exercise can help a little with some depression symptoms with the release of endorphins. Maybe you could find a team sport or group to join to meet other kids your own age. Isolation won't help your depression either. I would suggest maybe having a "safety bag" ready to go in case you need to leave in a hurry. Pack some clothes, emergency money, emergency phone numbers, if you are on medication - a couple doses and have it stashed somewhere like in your closet. If you feel you need to leave in a hurry you have a few essentials. I hope it doesn't escalate but your mental health is important too. Just because you haven't been hit doesn't mean it isn't abusive. Does he drink? That could be a potentially dangerous situation. I really hope your mom comes through for you. Good luck with therapy!! I'll be thinking of you!

Joe

hey Draik,

this guy sounds like a complete d**k

when my parents are like this i go for a drive or something

but our 15 and your stuck at home like 24/7 with that c**t

i really feel sorry for you but please stay safe, get out if you need to and contact social servies

Guest Elizabeth K

Well, I know you seem to feel safe, but I don't think you are. This guy could come at you at any moment and you might get caught out in the open. Please be careful.

You say, My closest relatives are in Texas and California. Even if I did try to go there I don't have any money or anything so it would be hard to get away. Have you asked them to send you busfare? It would be good to have some cash on hand in case you need to leave immediately.

And if there is ANY scary stuff or threats - call 911. You have a right to be safe. But it would be much better to be with your relatives than to get put in foster care.

Keep us updated...

Lizzy

Guest StrandedOutThere

Draik, I literally have a stomach ache from reading your post. I realize that I don't have all the facts about the situation, but this sounds dangerous. Regardless of whether your mom's boyfriend has physically harmed you, the stuff he's said easily crosses the line into verbal abuse. In my opinion, anyone who would talk that way to a 15-year-old has VERY poor judgment and is NOT an adult. No matter what you have done, said, or acted like, there is NO EXCUSE for talking to you like that. When I was your age, I did all kinds of horrible, annoying things. My mom got angry. She made me go stay with my dad for a month, but no one EVER talked to me with that amount of disrespect. People that flip out and curse like that are also likely to be dangerous. I think you need to talk to your mother and try to convey the seriousness of the situation.

As you have said, cutting the cords on that Xbox and television was a very bad idea. That is just the excuse a man like that needs to be physically abusive. In all cases, except for maybe the TV, those cords are replaceable. You probably should offer to pay. That way you are the bigger man. It takes a real adult to admit they are wrong and take responsibility for their actions. In everything you've said, I think you were in the right. Cutting those cords was wrong. I think you can show your mom a lot by stepping up, which it sounds like you've done. You're awesome.

If you lived closer to me and weren't a minor, I'd totally have somewhere you could stay. However, things being as they are, I guess you have to work with things where you are. As a minor, you can still call child protective services. They will investigate your home and find a foster family for you to stay with if they decide your home isn't safe or healthy for some reason. Of course, this would be a very serious step and isn't something you should do unless you are absolutely certain you are in danger.

Draik, if that guy flips out on you again and you are afraid he will hurt you, CALL THE POLICE.

At your age, I am very surprised that you do not go to school. I didn't know that there were online classes for someone in high school. What's up with that? You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. I'm just curious. It sounds like you don't have a lot of contact with the outside world.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. We all care about you!

Guest StrandedOutThere

This is probably awful of me to say, but you might not always be able to depend on your mom to protect you. I know you have said that she would get you out of the situation if it were dangerous. However, if this man truly loves your mom, he would not be talking to you the way he is. My guess is that he isn't always kind to her.

Moms are human too. They have all the same insecurities as anyone else. Sometimes moms don't see the danger in guys they are dating. Abuse situations are complicated. Your mom might need help too. I've known people's whose mothers stayed in places they shouldn't because of money concerns. The economy is rough right now. Money is tight for a lot of people.

Draik.... please, please, please, please, please... BE CAREFUL. Be quiet. Get headphones for your TV. STAY OUT OF THIS GUY'S WAY! Keep your conversation with him to a minimum.

Guest Draik

So I finally talked to my mom about it and basically it's just water under the bridge for them. She told him yelling at him was wrong no matter how angry he was. And as I figured he's apologized to my mom a million times but has failed to apologize to me. He fixed him TV so it's just back to normal. My mom keeps insisting that he isn't violent and and that I have nothing to worry about.

At your age, I am very surprised that you do not go to school. I didn't know that there were online classes for someone in high school. What's up with that? You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. I'm just curious. It sounds like you don't have a lot of contact with the outside world.

I've done schooling at home since 8 grade (I'm in 9th). My mom thought it would be a good idea to home school me because I got bullied a lot at school and the teachers didn't do anything about it. The when we moved out here to Las Vegas I was going to go to school but when we got out here the house we were supposed to stay at got foreclosed on so from August to December we were constantly moving around and it was just convenient to do classes online. I'm going to start school in the fall.

if this man truly loves your mom, he would not be talking to you the way he is. My guess is that he isn't always kind to her.

Moms are human too. They have all the same insecurities as anyone else. Sometimes moms don't see the danger in guys they are dating. Abuse situations are complicated. Your mom might need help too. I've known people's whose mothers stayed in places they shouldn't because of money concerns. The economy is rough right now. Money is tight for a lot of people.

He does like her... I think. It's just I get in the way. If the situation got abusive she would leave because she has been in a abusive relationship with my dad (he's a drug addict) so she wouldn't get herself into that situation again.

Guest StrandedOutThere
He does like her... I think. It's just I get in the way. If the situation got abusive she would leave because she has been in a abusive relationship with my dad (he's a drug addict) so she wouldn't get herself into that situation again.

Draik, NEVER think of yourself as being in the way. If this guy wants to be a part of your family, he needs to accept you. You aren't a "problem" that will go away. You are your mom's son and a valued member of the family. Remember, this dude is joining YOUR family...not the other way around. Always be respectful, but remember that. If your mom's boyfriend thinks you are in the way, he needs to go find someone else to date.

Also, someone that loves your mother should also love you. I don't like kids, but I have loved the children of women I had feelings for. If the feelings are real, you can't help it. As your mother's child, you are part of her. If he loves your mom, he should love you too.

My parents are divorced and both have remarried. My mom has remarried, divorced again, and remarried for a third time. She dated people during the time that I was your age. I suspect I was a LOT like you. If someone so much as started to suggest that they maybe were sort of about to consider treating any of her kids with disrespect, they were out the door. Gone. Even now that I am a grown up, my mom doesn't like her husband to get in on disputes between she and I. Dude, it is NOT cool for that guy to yell at you...ever.

Now, I do not know your mom or anything about your particular situation. However, I do know that women who have been in abusive relationships are likely to get into other abusive relationships. Have you and your mom been to any counseling since your parents separated? It takes a lot of work to repair the damage that's done by being abused. People always SAY they will never do it again, but it is really hard to actually NOT do it again...this goes for being an abuser, as well as entering into an abusive relationship. I'm not saying that you shouldn't trust your mom, but I am suggesting that she might need you to be a friend and a supporter. Sometimes even parents can't see things clearly.

Draik, check out this website. It talks about the signs of an abusive relationship. That might not be the situation you are in, but it's good information to know. Even if it doesn't apply to you now, knowledge is power. The more people that are informed, the more we can do to prevent domestic violence.

Helpguide.org

Guest Draik

It's no use. I've tried talking to my mom like 3 times and she just says the same thing. "I care about you both equally. He was just angry and I don't want him to leave because this is the first major relationship I've had since your father". I try to tell her that if he loved her he wouldn't disrespect me but she just said she understands why I'm angry and that we just need to talk it out. And when I say I don't want to see him she says "see you aren't even trying". I don't know how to get it through her thick skull :angry:

Guest StrandedOutThere
It's no use. I've tried talking to my mom like 3 times and she just says the same thing. "I care about you both equally. He was just angry and I don't want him to leave because this is the first major relationship I've had since your father". I try to tell her that if he loved her he wouldn't disrespect me but she just said she understands why I'm angry and that we just need to talk it out. And when I say I don't want to see him she says "see you aren't even trying". I don't know how to get it through her thick skull :angry:

There might not be anything you can do. It sounds like you have tried to talk to her and are being mature and respectful. I know it is stressful and difficult for you right now. Just know, you aren't the one with the problem. Think about what your mom is saying. She is basically saying that she doesn't want him to leave because there is no one else. She isn't saying that she doesn't want him to leave because she loves him very much and that he is a good man. It sounds like your mom is pretty lonely. It's hard being a grown up because you don't have as many opportunities to go out and meet people. Does your mom have some friends in town? ...friends that she hangs out with without her boyfriend?

A lot of women don't feel valued unless they are in a relationship with a man. My mom definitely went through a phase when she was like that. She dated this guy who still lived with his parents (he was like 50 at the time and it wasn't because they needed help). This same dude came to our house after my mom broke up with him and wouldn't leave until she talked to him. He kept walking around in the front yard and ended up breaking a window. My sister got really angry and told him to get lost or she'd call the police, even if my mom wouldn't. My sister was maybe...17 or 18 at the time. She's a rough customer. Anyway, finally he went away and my mom ended up taking him back. They didn't get married or anything, but it took forever for him to go away. I don't know what he finally did to make my mom angry enough to dump him. Anyway, my mom admitted later that she was just lonely and never would have dated him in the first place if she hadn't been so lonely. This dude had been a close friend of my dad's, way back in the day, and I think dating him must have seemed like a connection to the past or something. Oh...and this same guy...he ended up getting arrested for misrepresenting himself as an attorney. He was a used car salesman...definitely no law training.

My point in saying all of this is that your mom is probably dealing with a lot of stuff herself. There might even be stuff you don't know about. Here's how I think you should proceed.

1. You've told your mom how you feel. Now you should just tell her how much you love her. Let her know that she has your support.

2. Look out for yourself. Be aware that this man could be dangerous. Be quiet. Don't give him excuses to make trouble. If it seems like the situation is threatening, get to a safe place or call the police.

3. Pól had a great suggestion. Quietly arrange a "safe place" that you can go to if you don't feel comfortable at home. This might be a little difficult if you have just moved to a new town and don't know anyone. If you can, please get the phone number of a responsible adult (meaning someone with their own car and home) that you can call if you feel like it isn't safe at home.

Guest My_Genesis

My appraoch is always fight fire with fire although that has gotten me into trouble at times (that's mostly with girls though, they don't like that approach very much)

:P

Guest Pól_Eire
My appraoch is always fight fire with fire although that has gotten me into trouble at times (that's mostly with girls though, they don't like that approach very much)

:P

Draik, you should make up your own mind, but I completely disagree with My_Genesis on this one (no disrespect intended). I know I'm not the only one here who has been in situations that have escalated past where yours is now and gotten physical. I really hope yours does not. You're in all likelyhood smaller than this guy, and "fighting fire with fire" is only going to make it more likely that you get hurt.

Please be careful

-Pól

Guest StrandedOutThere
Draik, you should make up your own mind, but I completely disagree with My_Genesis on this one (no disrespect intended). I know I'm not the only one here who has been in situations that have escalated past where yours is now and gotten physical. I really hope yours does not. You're in all likelyhood smaller than this guy, and "fighting fire with fire" is only going to make it more likely that you get hurt.

Please be careful

-Pól

Yup, quiet and respectful is the way to go here. Don't give him any excuses to mess with you. If you were older you could just go live somewhere else. Since that doesn't sound like an option you have, best to play it safe.

Draik, I hope things are quiet at home!

Guest My_Genesis

that was more an anecdote than actual advice, i don't think you should do that. maybe like in a more moderate way? lol.

i mean i do think you should assert yourself, rather than just having to take all that from him.

but don't go about it rashly

:rolleyes:

unless of course you think that would only make the whole thing worse. in that case keep doing what you're doing.

lol i suck at this whole giving advice thing. hopefully i get an A for effort :P

Guest Benzrathe

By pointing out:

FIRST off, though she cares "about you both equally", only ONE of you she brought into this world, and nurtured in her womb!

SECONDLY - Why is it that the ONLY one being asked/expected to act like an adult, is the ONLY one of you who isn't legally or chronologically an adult?! When did it become a child's responsibility to make their own home safe, respectful and nurturing, instead of the PARENTS &/or parental figures??

THIRDLY - How can she "care about" anyone who makes someone ELSE she allegedly cares about, feel the way he makes you feel?

FOURTHLY - When did you become a justifiable sacrifice for HER happiness? Was there some "Freaky Friday" incident in yer house that we missed?

This is so unfair, Draik. I'm sorry, man. You deserve better. I know your mom seems to have had some bad interpersonal experiences, but they were HER choices. Now she's making this one impact you. She needs to pull her head out of her ummmyeaaaahhh... and be a MOM 1st. She brought you into this world, you didn't ask her to.

Besides, any man who can't respect her kid, doesn't truly respect her. He doesn't have to condone your choices, but he DOES have to be respectful. I'd suggest family and individual counseling for you and her. She has some apparent self-esteem issues, and needs help prioritizing. You need support in this unsupportive world. He just needs to mosey the heck on...

My piece, & my best to you....

Benz