• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Boardgaming

Mayo

Does anyone here consider themselves a boardgaming fan/aficionado?

I grew up with regular family boargame nights (e.g. Scrabble, Monopoly, Probe, Rich Uncle) and my dad introduced me to Avalon Hill wargames in the 1970s. In high school I got heavily into D&D but also belonged to the local university's gaming club (at a time when personal computing was in its infancy and so 'gaming' meant 'board gaming' by default) and AH's Advanced Civilization and Titan were among my favourites. Back then a serious board game took at least 3-4 hours to play.

I drifted away from both RPGs and boardgaming for several decades but have picked up the latter again as a hobby in the last couple of years (as well as Neverwinter Nights online for my RPG fix). I now have about 150 board games and, if time allows, will try to play at least twice a week.

Adv. Civ. is still one of my top games, though I haven't actually played it in several decades. Other favourites include Village, A Study in Emerald, Spyrium, Stone Age, Outer Earth, Corporate America, and the Anglo-Saxon-themed card game Ortus Regni. Love Letter is a favourite quick filler game. I'm not a big fan of Catan.

Is anybody else a hobby gamer? What do you like to play?

• Admin

I used to play a lot of Battleship, plus the old standard popular stuff like Life, Monopoly, etc. I haven't played anything besides Monopoly in years. Thanks for bringing back some fond memories, Mayo.

Carolyn Marie

Growing up I played Life, Monopoly, and Aggravation quite a bit. In college I got away from them, but I'd get together with some friends now and then to play Rail Baron. I don't have much time to play anymore though. :(

• Forum Moderator

I played a few as a child and again when our children were young. Time constraints keep me away from much more than this key board. I probably should spend more time playing. I do love a good game with the grandkids but they are still young so their need to move on sometimes interferes if things drag. The confuser with all it's motion draws them more than a stationary board with a mobile mind. Kinda a good reason for a vacation where there isn't any power.

Hugs,

Charlize

Hmmmm, I grew up playing games like Axis and Allies, Shogun, Fortress America and it progressed to more complex board games such as Avalon Hills Panzer Blitz, Afrika Corps, Assault, Nato (the next war in Europe--didn't happen in real life that way, thank god), 2nd Fleet and a slew of others. Now I focus on games that las no more than 3 or 4 hours tops. Battle Star Galactica, Ticket to Ride Europe, Settlers of Catan, Conquest of the Empire, and a few other ones. I like the fact that computers are not involved!!!

Oh, talk about complex, I played a World in Flames game for about a year and a half--8 hours once a month. I will never play that game again!!! Takes too long. :)

• Forum Moderator

I used to play them a lot when I was little and the kids were little but not recently as I don't know anyone who plays.

I still have lots from the very basic Ludo and Snakes and Ladders etc to more complex like Monopoly and Cluedo.

I have never had anything modern, although I did have a strange one when I was in my teens. It involved two players building a puzzle toward each other so that they could advance their tanks against each other. I cannot remember what it was called or what happened to it but I wish I still had it.

Tracy

I play star wars battlefront 1 the ps2 version not the 2015 computer version . clone(me) vs droid. I don't play human vs human.

Also:

Monopoly

Crosswords

Jigsaw puzzles

Everyone have a nice day.

Guest Alicia Rose

Does anyone here consider themselves a boardgaming fan/aficionado?

I grew up with regular family boargame nights (e.g. Scrabble, Monopoly, Probe, Rich Uncle) and my dad introduced me to Avalon Hill wargames in the 1970s. In high school I got heavily into D&D but also belonged to the local university's gaming club (at a time when personal computing was in its infancy and so 'gaming' meant 'board gaming' by default) and AH's Advanced Civilization and Titan were among my favourites. Back then a serious board game took at least 3-4 hours to play.

I drifted away from both RPGs and boardgaming for several decades but have picked up the latter again as a hobby in the last couple of years (as well as Neverwinter Nights online for my RPG fix). I now have about 150 board games and, if time allows, will try to play at least twice a week.

Adv. Civ. is still one of my top games, though I haven't actually played it in several decades. Other favourites include Village, A Study in Emerald, Spyrium, Stone Age, Outer Earth, Corporate America, and the Anglo-Saxon-themed card game Ortus Regni. Love Letter is a favourite quick filler game. I'm not a big fan of Catan.

Is anybody else a hobby gamer? What do you like to play?

I play video games but I have always enjoyed playing board games too. When I was a kid, I remember playing Candy Land, LIFE, Monopoly, Battleship, etc. and kind of miss that. Today, I don't know ANYONE that likes board games so that's something I can't do. I'm also a fan of miniatures/war-gaming but never played them myself.

I've always wished I'd meet others that wanted to enjoy playing games. There's a YouTube channel I watch (GameGrumps) and they have one series called Table Flip where they play board games. I'm a fan of some of the people on that show, which is why I enjoy watching them play. Of course, I'd rather play than watch, lol.

I've played miniatures games since I was 11 or 12. The painting was the fun part, because I could tell by the scheme that they were mine!! I'm actually getting back into my table to gaming post divorce and transition (X-wing and War Machine). I still do RPG's with the same firends of 20 years about one day a month.

I play a lot of board games with my kids. With friends it tends to be more card-based games like Munchkin and Cards Against Humanity.

Guest BobbiLee

MarcieMarie, I so wish I was still in the DC area!! I loved those games. I still have several versions of Axis and Allies (including the bookshelf version with counters instead of miniatures). I had the entire MB game master series including broadsides and boarding parties, Shogun and Samurai Swords. I wanted to get into the miniatures but did not have anyone to play with! If I get back that way, we have GOT to get together!!

Bobbi

Hmmmm, I grew up playing games like Axis and Allies, Shogun, Fortress America and it progressed to more complex board games such as Avalon Hills Panzer Blitz, Afrika Corps, Assault, Nato (the next war in Europe--didn't happen in real life that way, thank god), 2nd Fleet and a slew of others. Now I focus on games that las no more than 3 or 4 hours tops. Battle Star Galactica, Ticket to Ride Europe, Settlers of Catan, Conquest of the Empire, and a few other ones. I like the fact that computers are not involved!!!

Oh, talk about complex, I played a World in Flames game for about a year and a half--8 hours once a month. I will never play that game again!!! Takes too long. :)

I've played many of those, though of the AH wargames I can only remember D-Day, Gettysburg and Afrika Korps. I remember hearing of one game - was it War in Europe? - that took up an entire ping-pong table and took months to play.