• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Electrolysis

Guest Donna Jean

Guest Donna Jean

Ok......I'm nervous....why lie?

I start electrolysis tomorrow at 9:00!

Anticipation : I want so bad to get this done and be rid of this curse on my face and never have to worry about it again!

Apprehension: I'm scared!

But, I'm gonna do it anyways.....

Have you done it? Or is anyone currently doing it? I realize that it won't be a matter of just 6 visits and I'm prepared to go the distance! But if you've been there....how about some soothing words for Good 'ole Donna Jean?

I've found a really nice lady about an hour from here (the very closest to me..the sticks, remember?) and she said that she will do me for as long as I want because I have to drive so far...what ever I can stand, she said!

She works on a sliding scale so I can do very little or a marathon session....

Will I need an anesthesiologist or will a handful of Tylenol do?

Will I look like a horror show on Sunday or will I be ok?

I need some experience here.....OK?

Thanks.....

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K

I heard it hurts like hell

I heard it really scars your face all up and makes you look like Frankenstine (not the bride - the green dude)

I hear you have to stay in bed for four days after with hot compresses

I hear it take over 2000 sessions - and then you have to keep going back for 134 years

I hear that SRS is half as expensive!

And darn it - you are ahead of me on this!

Hope this helps you...

hee hee

Lizzy

Guest Nekomata

I don't know what you look like, but if you have pale or lighter skin and very dark facial hair, laser is more for you. I had 1 electrolysis session then heard laser can be done first with electrolysis cleanup. I saved a ton of time and money doing that. If you have reddish or blonde facial hair, or there's no laser nearby, then you are probably stuck with electrolysis.

Here's some info regarding my 1 electro session.

-Don't drink caffeine 2 days before your session. I did and it magnified my pain by about 10. It's really bad.

-I didn't need numb cream, but it would have been really nice to have for upper lip and chin. The upper lip and chin killed me. Every other area was more than tolerable.

-My face was really red, broken out, and noticeably hurt for 2 or 3 days after electro, then it started to heal. I'm not going to lie, you will look bad after a session.

-I've found that closing my eyes and relaxing, letting my body go limp helps. Try to focus on something in the darkness, like counting the number of times you get zapped, counting sheep, or reciting the plot of a good book you've read.

Guest van-na

hi Donna,

<<hug>>

Don't listen to her, it's gonna hurt so good :lol:

I've never done it , but I have been lasered, and wonder why you don't try it first. You can get your whole face done in 15 minutes it's cheaper and works great. Only down side of laser is it dosen't work good on light colored hair like gray or blond.

I bought a machine called Elight that uses IPL+RF ( Intense Pulsed Light + Raido Frequency) they claim it will remove gray hair but I'm still fighting a few patches, but it does work great on darker hair. I've heard that you can spend a lot on electrolysis please let us know about the pain and all. Good luck.

love, vanna

Guest Donna Jean
hi Donna,

<<hug>>

Don't listen to her, it's gonna hurt so good :lol:

I've never done it , but I have been lasered, and wonder why you don't try it first. You can get your whole face done in 15 minutes it's cheaper and works great. Only down side of laser is it dosen't work good on light colored hair like gray or blond.

I bought a machine called Elight that uses IPL+RF ( Intense Pulsed Light + Raido Frequency) they claim it will remove gray hair but I'm still fighting a few patches, but it does work great on darker hair. I've heard that you can spend a lot on electrolysis please let us know about the pain and all. Good luck.

love, vanna

Thanks, Vanna!

Well, there is the fly in the ointment for me!

So, I'm in for the individual hair removal method! YIKES!

And let you know about the pain? I think everyone will know by tomorrow at 9:05....LOL

Hurt so good...yeah...THAT's how I'll look at it!

Thanks, Sweetie.....

I will have an update or two to follow in a day or so...soon as I get out of intensive care!

****BIGG HUGGS****

Donna Jean

Guest Irielle

Donna Jean - I was teasing you in my other post but you know that :lol:

I haven't had electrolysis but I have already had my first laser treatment on my face and neck about 5 or 6 weeks ago. It's so nice because I am already losing hair on my chin and cheeks.

I've never had much facial hair but have always hated what I do have. I have four more treatments and they are to be spaced about 6 to 8 weeks apart (my next one is on May 8). I can't wait until the hair is all gone.

The doctor tells me I might need some electrolysis to clean up any really light hairs that the laser doesn't get. I don't look forward to that and have to be sure my own will is up to date. :lol:

The laser isn't too painful, it's usually described as having a rubber band snapped against your skin. The denser the hair, the more painful. Afterwards it felt as if I had a very mild sunburn and the doctor covered my face with cold towels for a while and it was fine after 1/2 hour or so.

Good luck and have a safe journey to the Land of the Hairless Faces!

Guest Elizabeth K

Donna Jean

I was kidding as well, but you know that I hope. I thought if you can, so can I - my first consultation is Tuesday next week. I am opting for electrolysis - and found someone here in town. The hesitation on the question, "have you had a transgender client?" was interesting (she hasn't).

Thank you for getting me started on this (I think).

I sincerly hope you are one of those women who can tolerate 'discomfort' well - I have been told by my therapist to take a couple of tylenol before going in. Other than that I understand it is less painful that childbirth (talk about karma!), so you will be okay.

Please let us know how it turns out!

Lizzy

Guest Frank67

Hi Donna,

i did both alexandrit laser and electro, is this unusual for a man :P ?

All I can say electro hurts much more and the laser was more effective.

In both cases you will have a reddened skin and a kind of little red pimples (burns), but you do not look like a horror show *lol*.

Important

- Don't use lotions or creams for a min of 24 hours, but if you need you can use an ointment.

- Try to avoid direct sunlight and a solarium visit for the next days.

- Your hair should be about 2-3mm (should be 0,11") long

To reduce the pain (yes it really hurts) use a numb cream like emla before your sessions.

Frank

Donna Jean,

Don't be scared, you will probably survive!

I almost did!

It isn't that bad unless you have really sensitive skin - then check for bumps that don't go away.

So don't start on your upper lip!

I had a test area under my chin - shadows are your friends when you are our ages!

Just try to relax and let them do what they do!

(Don't think about it yet but some doctors suggest having some genital electrolysis! :o )

Love ya,

Sally

Guest van-na

Hi Donna Jean,

<<<hug>>>

If you go to the site http://www.alibaba.com/ and do a search for Elight you can see the specs on that kind of machine, they are wonderful. IDK if Dr in the US use them yet , I just bought mine strait from china and I do my self. It does many wonderful things. I do love my Elight, they are expensive, but it removes all hair as well as re collagenates the skin. and they also have a breast function that stimulates the mammary gland will give you a breast lift. :D .

Alibaba is a good site I think, they sell just about everything. You can also buy electroysis machines there; they are dirt cheap to buy, But you would need a partner to do your face.

Anyway take a look.

Remember no pain no gain :)

<_< or was it no brain no pain :lol:

bye bye

love, vanna

Guest doodle

I have had both and they both hurt. laser usually costs much more. 175 to 250 dollars here in NYC. electro is about 65 to 75 an hour. Laser hurts a lot but it is fast and over quickly compared to eletro. You can get your whole face done quickly. I don't think it works as well. I have had a lot of eletro I kind of think that is easier, it hurts less and works on any color hairbut if the persson doing it is not good they can damage your face. Everyone is different when it come to pain. Having a clear face is wonderful.

doodle

Guest Donna Jean

Hey all!

I DID IT!

And I didn't faint!

I'll be totally honest with you, though....it's not pleasant....I don't like it...it's not fun!

But I can tolerate enough to achieve what I want and that is to have a smooth clean face!

My electrologist is a wonderful woman who I just fell in love with right off! She has a tender touch and talks to you soothingly the whole time..

She starts with the first hairs under the eyes and works downward....half of the session on each side of the face so as you don't have a big clear spot sitting there by itself!

Six hours latter and my skin isn't even hardly pink where she worked...and a great thing about her is that she only charges $45 an hour and because I drive 50 miles, she said she will do 1 1/2 or even 2 hours on me if I can stand it!

Oh, My! 2 months on HRT and now this....my head is spinning! I've already given half of my male clothes to Goodwill, got my ears pierced, and I got a letter from my therapist Thursday that says that I am being treated as a Transsexual and that is why I would be dressed (Kinda like a "Get out of Jail Free" card)...and I can use the ladies restroom...but, I'm not ready for that yet!...lol

WOW ...the world is spinning really fast!

And thanks for all of the kind words and encouragement....I'm a big chicken and I cry easy so you all helped me a lot....Thank you!

****BIGG HUGGS****

Donna Jean

Wonderful!!

Did she give you anything before you started? I'm doing the lazer, and I'm offered vicodin and diazepam, numbing cream and a glass of wine. I pass on the wine.

I'm excited and happy for you!

Congrats on your first of many sessions, have had four laser sessions and number five is next week. After my sixth session i will start electro in addition to laser.

I too sent over half his clothes to Goodwill even though i will not go full time till early next year.

HUGS!

Paula

Donna Jean,

What a trooper -didn't faint - WOW!

Were you expecting to - after all it's just sticking a needle into the hair folcle and zapping it with electricity!

That doesn't sound good does it?

Oh, well!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest van-na

Hi Donna,

<<hug>>

It was good to hear about your experience, thanks for sharing it.

I was wondering If you can say about how many hairs They can remove in and hour, and also how long do you have to let them grow out for her to remove them. I am still fighting a few gray hairs under my chin, and am thinking maybe I'll do it your way. :)

Thanks, vanna

Guest mia 1

Tough Lady,,oh the thought of it scares the hell out of me....especailly the upper lip....vicadin,,,you betcha....glass of wine I'll take it! Someone hold my hand or better yet LET ME OUTTA HEAH!!!!!!!!!CONGRATS.............MIA

Guest Donna Jean

Nova.....thanks, Sweetheart..

Did she give you anything before you started? I'm doing the lazer, and I'm offered vicodin and diazepam, numbing cream and a glass of wine. I pass on the wine.

I'm excited and happy for you!

No, she just told me to take some Tylenol or Advil before I come in...but, I have a prescription for Darvocet so I'm covered!

Paula...Thank you, too....

I too sent over half his clothes to Goodwill even though i will not go full time till early next year.

I just can't seem to stop buying clothes! I guess that I'm making up for 50 years of doing without!

I actually drove right by Goodwill today and my wife made a wisecrack about that!...LOL..lol

Sally, Honey....

What a trooper -didn't faint - WOW!

See...the good thing is that my electrologist is also a R.N. so if I did faint, I wouldn't have far to go...

Vanna, Thank you, too....

It was good to hear about your experience, thanks for sharing it.

I was wondering If you can say about how many hairs They can remove in and hour, and also how long do you have to let them grow out for her to remove them.

Hon, I didn't opt for laser because my hairs are light brown or gray and it wouldn't be effective. Just expensive. My Electrologist is licensed for both and she said it wouldn't be any good for me

As I lay there I counted that she was doing a hair every 10-12 seconds ...so, about 5-6 a minute....I only have to shave every other day so mine doesn't grow very fast...I shaved Wednesday...and not after that for my Saturday appointment and she said that it was just right..But I felt really ugly and not very feminine by that morning...I couldn't bear to look in the mirror...And today there is no redness or soreness of any kind and the areas are silky smooth!

And I realize that the upper lip is on the agenda....lots and lots of nerve endings there!

Mia, Sweetie!

Tough Lady,,oh the thought of it scares the hell out of me....especially the upper lip....vicadin,,,you betcha....glass of wine I'll take it! Someone hold my hand or better yet LET ME OUTTA HEAH!!!!!!!!!CONGRATS.............MIA

Thank you so!

But I'll bet that I can make you cringe....

She told me that she has a number of women come in and have their armpits done! OMG!!!!

That's when I almost fainted!

Thanks all....I have a long way to go, but there's the very first step...And I'm back there next Saturday!

Love you all!

Donna Jean

Guest AniStacy

Ok well here's my two cents.

Electrolysis is more of a thourough "tough hair removal"

IPL is more effective on dark hair with light skin.

So I'm doing IPL first and then clearing up with electrolysis :)

Sooo amped though, I hate facial hair. My sking gnna be so smoothe <3 yay

Hehe

Stacy

Guest Donna Jean
Ok well here's my two cents.

Electrolysis is more of a thourough "tough hair removal"

IPL is more effective on dark hair with light skin.

So I'm doing IPL first and then clearing up with electrolysis :)

Sooo amped though, I hate facial hair. My skin gonna be so smoothe <3 yay

Hehe

Stacy

Good for you, Hon!

And there is the key right there!

I'd love to be able to do it that way....won't work on me, though!

Yes, your face will be as smooth as a baby's ____.......well, you know...lol

Good Luck!

Donna Jean

Guest doodle

Good for you Donna Jean. An hour and half to two hours of electro is a lot. The price is great. Be very careful about skin damage. I have always had skin problems and I am maybe over careful. I have seen a lot of t women with skin damage from to much electro who needed to have their faces smoothed out with dermabraision.

doodle

Guest Donna Jean
Good for you Donna Jean. An hour and half to two hours of electro is a lot. The price is great. Be very careful about skin damage. I have always had skin problems and I am maybe over careful. I have seen a lot of t women with skin damage from to much electro who needed to have their faces smoothed out with dermabraision.

doodle

Thanks, doodle!

And I appreciate your warning!

I seemed to have tolerated the session very well...no redness or pain, no little bumps or problems of any kind!

Gee, it's really smooth today....and I'll go again this Saturday for more!

Be Gone, Hairs!!!

Donna Jean

Guest rayne1

I guess you have already experienced the electrolysis, but if you can do the laser if you have dark hair and light complexion it would save you so much pain. My beard was so heavy, but I have light hair and laser won't work for me. My electrolysis lady gave me some viatique to use on my face after an electrolysis visit and it seems to help with the healing. It can also be used as a foundation cover. An ice pack on the part of the face worked on will cool the skin down and reduce the redening and chances of infection. I do this and the next day I have no redness. The ice pack can be used for the lasr also. both of these generate heat to the face and need to be cooled down. Electroysis takes a long time if you cannot do laser. I have been doing it for 3 months and have not cleared all my beard for the first time and I have gone every week. My beard is so thick I decided to go for he total body package which has a lifetime electrolysis included and I get all of he hair removed for one price.

I hope you can get yours taken care of with laser and then a little electrolysis to finish up. I got my docotr to prescribe some lidocaine ointment for my lip, but it still hurts.