• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Plastic Surgury

Guest Leigh

Guest Leigh

So, I know that some of the ladies opt for FFS to help them pass/feel more comfortable, etc... ladies, will you have it? have you? what do you think about it..?

And I was just wondering, for the guys and androgyns and anyone else I'm forgetting (sorry)...have you ever thought of having surgery (besides the top surgeries, etc for guys) to help you look more like your gender (or lack thereof)?

Personally, I've always thought that I have a nice jaw, but it's a bit crooked, and I wouldn't mind having it evened out once I've been on T for a while. And my nose always comes off (to me at least) as pretty feminine, so I've thought about nose jobs too...

what do y'all think?

peace&love

With all the bad publicity out there on plastic surgery and botox and such I feel I can live with my face just the way it is. Just let the facial hair grow and let the T- therapy do its thing. Its better than getting a botched job.

Peace

Guest Leigh
Not getting any FFS here. I don't want to. Find it not worth it, and will never in a million years be able to afford it.

i guess i hadn't really thought about costs...though i'm sure its more for the ladies to get all those procedures than it would be for me to get a couple...still, i probably won't have money for it either. especially after the top and lower..

peace&love

Guest Donna Jean

Hey, Honey....

Not for me either...I'll think I'll suffice with I have. It's passed a few times already, much to my amazement!

Maybe a different nose, but my real mom had it as did my grandma, so I'll guess that will stay, too.

Besides...I'll need the money for my surgery and that's WAY more important to me.

But, if you go to some of the sites and see "Before & After" pictures you will be floored!

It's truly incredible what can be done!

And, good luck with your nose....

**** BIGG HUGG****

Donna Jean

Guest ~Brenda~

Dear NobleLight,

My attitude towards surgery is that it should be done as a last resort. Surgery, no matter how trivial it may seem should be taken after great contemplation. Whenever you have surgery, you put yourself at risk for infection and other complications. Before surgery is entertained, I think that all other options must be exhausted.

Just my opinion,

Love bernii

I am having some FFS done in a couple of months from now. Even though I'm "read" as female most of the time, it's not all the time. I believe reducing and eliminating some of my more male facial characteristics will make a major difference. Being able to move through the world safely is just one reason I am doing it.

Yah, it is expensive; depends on what you're getting and where it's done. My surgery fees, including operating room and anesthesia will be 12,000. Some people pay more than double that, depending on the procedures involved.

Guest April63

If I do transition, I think I'll probably get some FFS. It depends on what I look like though. I don't think hormones will do enough for my face. I'm not going to immediately opt in to surgery, it would take some time and contemplation.

I don't think money will be a problem for me. Maybe others though.

April

Guest brookerenee

some girls opt for FFS, it might help, might not-depends on your facial structure to begin with. Its your body-mak your own judgements and choiices hun

~Brooke

Dear Noble Light,

I am not a fan of surgery and the facial surgeries are truly elective as are the breast augmentations - I am not looking for any extra surgeries - I am planning on one big one and that's it for me!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Little Sara

I'm not sure where I'll even get the money for SRS, 15-18,000...where am I supposed to get that? I get 16,800 + overtime, minus income taxes and other deductions a year (9.60$/hour * 35 hours a week * 50 weeks). This leaves me with less than half that a year to buy the unnecessary, like clothes, food at work for lunch, paying my ride to work, medications.

2 weeks paycheck is 600$ after deductions.

I pay 165$ rent (and that's cheap only because I live with my mom), 15$ for my cat, 30$ saving for the move in July, 40$ cigarettes, 15$ life insurance, 30$ clothes ish (I buy once in a long while), 5$ make-up, 30$ food at work, 30$ for my ride to work, 25$ medications.

That's 215$ left per two weeks. That's a bit over 5,000 a year, but I found I can't save it up in weeks I don't work 5 days/week (which has been most of the time the last 6 months). Next week I work 1 day. I can reliably save maybe 1,000$~2,000$ a year. Going to take me about 10 years, if I have the patience to wait that long.

Oh and benefits, insurance? Don't exist for my position where I work, would be too costly or something.

Guest Martin

I'm not comfortable with cosmetic surgeries. I do my best not to judge those who get them - after all, I'm not them and I don't know how much it improves their lives. However, I'm not comfortable getting them myself. For me, any surgery on top of the top surgery and the bottom surgery would be cosmetic. Thus, even if I had the money (which I don't), I wouldn't do it. I think I need to learn to accept my body rather than use cosmetic surgery to alter it.

For me, top and bottom surgery are different because they are needed as a direct result of my transsexualism. They are medically necessary because studies show no amount of therapy can make someone not be a transsexual any more. I tried to become comfortable as a guy with atypical parts and could not. I still feel weird about getting surgery, but I feel like I have no other choice. I can also understand why some MTFs opt for FFS and breast augmentation. The reasoning seems similar.

Guest Evan_J
Dear NobleLight,

My attitude towards surgery is that it should be done as a last resort. Surgery, no matter how trivial it may seem should be taken after great contemplation. Whenever you have surgery, you put yourself at risk for infection and other complications. Before surgery is entertained, I think that all other options must be exhausted.

Just my opinion,

Love bernii

I love Bernii's answers :) And I agree. I've "thought" fleetinglyf about "well, maybe it'd be nice to have a surgically masuclinized, uber square, male jaw blah blah, but the risks (and lets not talk about the costs) make it a "naaah, go with the T" decision. Plus, at least for guys, I think we get into thinking that way because of "impatience" because every Tguy I've ever seen that transitioned more than a couple years prior honestly looked "indistinguishable" from a natal guy.

Guest Jeannine Bean

I've decided to have FFS, it's only a matter of time (to save the money). Most likely I'll do it late next year. It's still hard for me to prioritize FFS or SRS but FFS gets the nod every time because I'm so much less certain about the results of SRS. Whereas FFS is an extension of regular plastic surgeries done on faces, which they've been doing for decades, by the millions. I know there's risks, but I would like to have my whole body restored as much as possible.

I may actually end up doing it a little as I go. Several smaller and cheaper surgeries might be easier on my body than one 20 hour long trip under the knife... Also working out in the months before hand, and eating very well and keeping good nutrition afterwords and doing some good Qi Kung and such can really aid the healing process. I'm also a youngin' so I have an advantage there.

Sure, I'd prefer not to feel as if I needed surgery, but it looks like it's a pathway to the miracle I always wanted, and I'm going to do my best to give that to myself.

In a perfect world, we'd all have found genies in magic lamps and gotten our wishes a long time ago, LOL.

--Jeannine.

Guest Zenda

Kia Ora NL,

Well this is for those trans-women thinking about facial surgery....I'd recommend giving HRT at least six months to 'shape shift' facial fats and also finish your facial hair removal first - removing/dissolving the roots on facial hair can help change the shape of your upper lip and chin areas...Research carried out in the UK also found that a 'simple' nose job on some M2Fs went a long way in feminising their profile...

When I first started to affirm my gender, I thought about a boob job and some facial surgery[not that I had any money], but after a while I found I didn't need it to blend in...If your face is quite androgynous looking to begin with-the chances are you won't need any surgery - Hrt will suffice ...

Metta Jendar :)

Guest Nelly

Hi,

my opinion is that it would be best to have no surgery at all. But if the inner preasure is bigger than the brain than I think a surgery is an option.

Facial surgeries are allways a surgery at the person. People know you with your face. If you change your body your voice and your face, what stays to rememeber you? I think if you are in a relationsship with someone than it is important to make the discision together.

The big different in faces is the bone structure over the eyes. Eyebrows job can help a lot to get more feminen. Some MTF make surgery to remove the bone structure above the eyes. The result is a more rounded face from a side view. But I checked a lot of people now and I see also girls around with a boney male structure. So I think this job is only usefull if you look like a caveman.

If you are a FTM and want to have a male face, than it will be a job to add some parts. Adding some parts can also be done by a special FX guy with rubber parts. It will not cost so much and you can see if you like the result.

Greetings

Nelly

Guest Leigh
If you are a FTM and want to have a male face, than it will be a job to add some parts. Adding some parts can also be done by a special FX guy with rubber parts. It will not cost so much and you can see if you like the result.

Greetings

Nelly

hmm..rubber parts you say? maybe not then. i'm not a big fan of adding false things to my body...taking the wrong things off, yes...but adding on rubber...maybe not.

thanks everyone for your opinions, you've given me a lot to think about.

especially how i'll never have money for it anyway..lol..

peace&love

Guest Elizabeth K

You people seem all over the place on this!

I suspect it is a personal choice. It also depends on what you start with, and how you end up on HRT

Jedar makes a great recommendation - to wait until after HRT - estrogen, or T in the other camp, has a MAJOR effect on how you lock, especially in the face.

I told my post op friend, when I first started, I would need so much FFS I could never pass. She laughed.

Now I can't cash a check at my own bank!

So hold the decision making until late in the transition. And remember, expensive as it seems, its about the cost of a good quality used car, and unlike the car is a lifetime thing.

Hope this helps

Lizzy