• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Follow-up Thoughts Regarding Colorado

Guest Sarah Marie

Guest Sarah Marie

This past week I have not been my usual self. I have shed tears off and on for the trial of Angie Zapata’s murderer is another reminder of the terrible price too many of our community members pay. At the same time, I have found Gwen Araujo back in my thoughts a lot lately. Her tragic tale has haunted me for several years for reasons I can’t put a finger on.

This latest trial has clarified within me what needs to be done. Angie cannot speak on her own behalf to say that all she wanted was to lead an honest life. Gwen cannot speak out about the travesty of justice her killers’ two trials became. They, and way too many others, cannot speak up because of senseless acts by those sadly deficient in common human understanding and emotional control. Therefore, we must stand and be their voice. We must be the ones to say "this is wrong; we deserve far better from the rest of society." We must be the ones who do what we can so Angie, Gwen and the others can accomplish in death what they never had a chance to accomplish in life.

How can the changes we need best be brought about?

"Be the change you want to see in the world." This wise piece of advice comes from the late Mahatma Ghandi. The best way for the transsexual community to build society’s acceptance of our existence is to accept the rest of society the way it is. We need the rest of society to tolerate our uniqueness, so we need to tolerate their viewpoints first. Doing this can be very hard at times, but it works.

To me, patiently pursuing the changes we need using nonviolent methods will propel us forward faster than if we try to force the issues by getting in the faces of decision makers. This I learned as a child by observing the Civil Rights push led by my childhood hero, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Over the long run, we as a community will achieve better results and more secure progress through quiet activism than through protests and public arguments. I am concerned that the gay marriage effort will ultimately fail because those advocating for it too often make public spectacles of themselves, thus alienating the rest of society.

These are my thoughts about how to begin bringing about the changes in state and Federal laws the community needs. Others are invited to agree, disagree, ask for clarifications, or even tell me I am all wet.

Thank you everyone for allowing me this chance to get these reflective thoughts off my chest.

http://' target="_blank">