• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How do I know if I'm an Alcoholic?

Cindy Truheart

I know this sounds strange to ask, but I'm not sure if I should seek help or not.

Honestly, at my worst I was drinking about 12-15 shots of vodka every night. Ever since I stopped repressing and I got into therapy I've been able to cut back to 3 to 6 shots and I've been able to go a couple days during the week without drinking at all. I honestly see this as a situation where I can either have alcohol or I can have my estrogen. One blocks out everything I have to deal with temporarily, the other is going to help me to be finally be who I am inside, but I can't have both because my blood work is starting to show the signs of too much stress on my liver. I also can't be me yet because we live in a bad area and I would lose my job. That is being taken care of soon though.

• Forum Moderator

Cindy, thank you for your honesty.  It was difficult for me to admit i might have a problem.  I have attached what is a pamphlet used in AA.  I have been sober now for almost 10 years because of this fellowship.  I'm sure there are other ways but AA has worked for me and millions of others.  Amazingly in my area the rooms are very accepting of anyone, regardless of sexuality or gender expression.  That is of course not the case everywhere but i've found most areas have a GLBT meeting and if not we have a meeting here on chat and there are also great A/V meetings on the web which i and other members here have found very helpful.  You might want to see the information posted in this forum for more information.  My therapist was ecstatic that i had stopped drinking and had the support of the rooms of AA.  

In the long term Alcoholism is something we often diagnose ourselves but it helped me to know that it is a progressive disease and often there is a tipping point that many never return from once passed.

Hugs,

Charlize

I second everything said. Try an open AA meeting, they're fun, anybody can come. You don't have to identify as anything, just listen and enjoy. You are now personally invited to attend, no RSVP required. Giggle. Hug. JodyAnn

Thanks Charlize, I passed it again.  No I  never envied anyone's drinking, I  was too busy smashed.

I didn't have blackouts, I knew ever time I was dancing with a lampshade on my head.  Giggle.

Clean and sober is so much better!