• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Its really sad when you get told No to wear a dress to an event you really wanted to

LavaPrincess

So in my school. Since I'm in the JROTC program, we have an upcoming formal event #MilitaryBall.

I had asked in behalf of the other trans/ cross dressing students who wanted to wear a tux or a dress. I seriously wanted to wear a dress but when I had asked I was told No... That those boys in program who wore a dress would be kicked out the faculty and if girls did not wear a dress they be booted. And if 2 lesbian couples or 2 gay couples came in they be booted if the showed affection in the first part of the ball... *-* I have no words for this at all :+(

• Forum Moderator

I'm sorry you can't attend as you wish.  Unfortunately it seems your JROTC program is well behind the Pentagons present policies.  Be patient times will change.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

Whether it is right or wrong, there are some things we cannot change.  Since the JROTC is holding or sponsoring this ball they can make the rules for it; dress code, etc.  This is no different than any other organization. 

Jani

• Forum Moderator

It would be interesting if that happened here as strictly speaking it would be illegal to discriminate, although I can imagine great pressure would be levied on the individual to conform :unsure:

Tracy

im still debating if i should just go in a dress anyway. and risk been kicked out. i would have to have my friend to do a complete make over so im not recognized.

I don't know much about JROTC, but in the real military dress uniform is an option for a military ball.

You are dealing with petty rules enforced by small minded, petty people.

That said, there are smaller ways you can defy their small mindedness and make a statement without getting kicked out. 

When he explained the rules to the class he said it was a desecion decided on by all the ROTC instrudcters in the district. I might just go up to the county and despute this.