• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Another Tear

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

An interesting development!

Taken with your new leader and your version of the Berlin Wall over there I do think how many people are now likening the changing situation to past European dictatorships :(

Tracy

• Forum Moderator

We have one major advantage in that we do have another election coming in 2 years and again in 4.  I hope not too much damage is done before then.

Hugs,

Charlize

Between the court system and procedural things, you would be surprised how a minority party can cause problems. Those things take time to sort through, and I am pretty sure (at least legislatively) LGBT rights won't be threatened at the Federal level. The hurtful thing is that we lost a good ally in the Whitehouse (at least concerning LGBT issues) and the resources that gave us.

Ugh, well, since I was born in Idaho I've got no way to change my birth certificate anyhow, so this doesn't personally change anything for me--other than my not being thrilled that USD is near the top of my husband's short list for grad school applications.

• Forum Moderator

If my drivers license and US passport isn't good enough to use the ladies room then at least it should be good enough to get me out of the country if things go too far south.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

<rant>

Let's just cut to heart of the matter, OK ? There is a significant group of people in this country that have taken power that don't want you to exist (as a trans - person). You all know who these people are, and yes there are people that come on this board and tell you that everything is just fine, and actually support the people that don't want you to exist, heck they even boast about voting for them, what fools. All I can say is we told you so, it was all there in black and white there have been so many threads about this already, I am not posting anything new. It's all about biological sex at birth, that is all that matters when crafting these types of bathroom bills, but it goes further than that, your gender identity protections are being systematically removed at the state levels, OK. Your ability to be protected from discrimination and harassment are being removed based on your gender identity. Your ability to seek medical assistance for gender identity issues are being removed piece by piece. This is nothing compared to what's coming, OK ? There are many lessons here from the 1930's in central Europe.

</rant>

• Forum Moderator
24 minutes ago, CyndiRae said:

There are many lessons here from the 1930's in central Europe.

I Agree.

Jani

On the positive side, at least the SD governor said he'd veto it again if it reached his desk.

(Ravin, is that U of South Dakota, or U of San Diego, or?)

21 hours ago, MarcieMarie12 said:

Between the court system and procedural things, you would be surprised how a minority party can cause problems. Those things take time to sort through, and I am pretty sure (at least legislatively) LGBT rights won't be threatened at the Federal level. The hurtful thing is that we lost a good ally in the Whitehouse (at least concerning LGBT issues) and the resources that gave us.

Hardly a minority party, the Republican Party holds a majority of seats in both the Senate & the House of Representatives.  The Republican Party controls the majority of state legislatures and governorships.

5 hours ago, Charlize said:

If my drivers license and US passport isn't good enough to use the ladies room then at least it should be good enough to get me out of the country if things go too far south.Hugs,Charlize

Respectfully....I have seen some folks make such declarations, but I have never seen anyone follow through on such public resolves.  Hopefully, we'll all make the best decisions possible.

5 hours ago, CyndiRae said:

<rant>Let's just cut to heart of the matter, OK ? There is a significant group of people in this country that have taken power that don't want you to exist (as a trans - person). You all know who these people are, and yes there are people that come on this board and tell you that everything is just fine, and actually support the people that don't want you to exist, heck they even boast about voting for them, what fools. All I can say is we told you so, it was all there in black and white there have been so many threads about this already, I am not posting anything new. It's all about biological sex at birth, that is all that matters when crafting these types of bathroom bills, but it goes further than that, your gender identity protections are being systematically removed at the state levels, OK. Your ability to be protected from discrimination and harassment are being removed based on your gender identity. Your ability to seek medical assistance for gender identity issues are being removed piece by piece. This is nothing compared to what's coming, OK ? There are many lessons here from the 1930's in central Europe.</rant>

Well, I voted for President Trump in the general election. I voted for Senator Cruz in the Republican Party's Presidential Primary, In past elections, I have voted for Senator Cruz, Governor Abbot, Lt. Governor Patrick, and Attorney General Paxton.  Having so voted, it would be pointless to deny that I support them.  Don't know that I can tell folks here that everything's gonna be fine for all though.  {That's a matter of perspective. So far things are fine for me...]

Frankly, I haven't seen any systematic dismantling of anything...least ways not anything that seems remotely concerned with anything gender-related.  As far as harassment/discrimination...haven't had any experiences that I couldn't deal with myself.  As far as protection...I think I'd rather handle that myself; don't think I'd want to entrust that task to anyone/anything else.

Interesting observation about 1930's in Europe.  I'll have to think about that one.  Personally though, I thought a lot about the parallels between the previous POTUS (and his minority party) and that of the 1920's & '30's Weimar Republic.

You know, I enjoy hearing/reading differing socio-political opinions & perspectives,  and have enjoyed my time here on this forum immensely.  I do hope others here  also express such the same sentiments. 

• Forum Moderator

I agree with Lisa, there are far more pressing issues to be dealt with. Protections from discrimination are not high on the current regimes list of action items, it would seem their rhetoric will just encourage further discriminatory actions. Although I suspect many subtle policy shifts will occur, some will be not so subtle like the title IX challenges and interpretations.

Thank you Tejana for taking the time to respond to my simple rant, I think you write very well worded and thoughtful posts. I appreciate your input.

A few small examples here early in 2017. Here in our state, that very same group of people mentioned above have introduced legislation that specially removes gender identity protections already in place here this state for over 10 years. In other words, they have gone out of their way to attempt to legalize discrimination against your expressed or sincerely held gender identity in this state. It's called HB 1011 here if anybody really cares to look, it also contains a bathroom use condition (no pre-ops in the ladies for example), we are fighting this of course. The chances our governor would sign something like this here are about zero.

A co worker at my job has a trans daughter, who recently changed jobs herself this year, and was denied her coverage for trans related medical expenses on the basis her trans related care was considered a "pre-existing condition", specially due to shifts in policy by impending adjustments to the ACA. In other words the insurance companies are benefiting already by lowering their risk exposures. $$ over people, no surprise.

I know who these people are, and they simply don't want you to exist (at least on the same level as cis people), get it ?

Guest LesleyAnne

CyndiRae,

I for one enjoyed your rant, and completely agree with you!

During the Obama years, my wife, and I experienced benefits from his efforts. Our stock recovered from near extinction in 2008 which we rely upon as a supplement to our Social Security income. 

Plus I was finally able to be seen by the VA during Obama's presidency, as opposed to the Bush era screening that excluded me. I am now receiving care that otherwise would not have been there for me. The VA during the Obama administration was more open in identifying service related claims. The VA was also directed to be more open to LGBTQ care, and of course I have been a recipient of that as well. My severe PTSD was diagnosed by the VA, and supported by outside Psychiatric evaluation which the VA ordered. Their help has literally kept me out of the morgue (to be blunt). I was denied the initial eval during the Bush administration years ( I didn't meet their requirements) since I could not prove my condition related to my combat experiences, or that it was serious enough to be seen. During Obama's years the VA did not require any proof by me for an initial eval other than that I served in a combat theater as recorded on my DD214. Consequently I was seen by a VA Psych., then evaluated by an outside Psych.

My wife after being laid off from an oil company one year before being able to retire after 20 plus years of service with that company could not afford COBRA, so she did without health insurance completely for a year before she became eligible for retiree's insurance (it's complicated to explain, but suffice it to say even though she was laid off one year before full retirement she became eligible to certain benefits once she reached age 55). The retirees insurance was roughly the price of COBRA, so we still couldn't afford over $1200 a month for just her alone. I was fine since I was now being taken care of completely by the VA( I am 70% disabled). So we sweated it out till the ACA came along, and even though monthly rates were not cheap they were cheaper than her companies retiree's insurance, plus we qualified for subsidized premiums which made it more affordable. Yes the premiums went up this year again, but still not as high as company insurance, or private policies offered. We could argue all day about how it could be better, but the point is, it is better than being without. And pre-existing was also eliminated because of ACA legislation. That was also an issue for us. 

From what I've witnessed the Republican party has a platform embracing anti-LGBTQ.  Gregory T. Angelo, president of the nation’s largest gay Republican group," The Log Cabin Republicans" has stated that the current Republican platform is the most anti-LGBTQ in the Log Cabin's 162 year history. http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/log-cabin-republicans-gop-party-platform-anti-lgbt/story?id=40564850

Lt. Gov. Patrick here in Texas used language from "The Family Research Council" (a known LGBTQ hate group as identified by the Southern Poverty Law Center) in constructing SB 6 that was introduced this legislative session in Texas. Cruz, Patrick, and Abbott are not known to be LGBTQ friendly. And on a federal level the VP is unashamed of his anti-LGBTQ views, and belief's in reparative therapy. So having benefited from an Obama's administration, and actively fighting against the current administration's picks for their cabinet, and by my own beliefs, and experiences I do not support the likes of Abbott, Patrick, Cornyn, Cruz, Trump/Pence. For me to support such would be akin to shooting myself in the foot. 

So for those that suffered for whatever reason during the Obama presidency, I'm sorry you had to experience that while my family benefitted from it. I never wish to benefit from others pain.

Yes the Republicans are the majority party in charge right now......

Pew Research Center has this information.  http://www.people-press.org/2015/04/07/a-deep-dive-into-party-affiliation/

This is my first post here, I haven't yet introduced myself.  But, the current administration in the US is the issue most on my mind these days.  I am in the process of coming out and beginning some form of transition.  There's a lot I haven't figured out yet, and I'm only out to a few people close to me.  Aside from all the usual fears that come with this process, I am terrified not only at the prospect of lack of protection from this government, but potentially active discrimination.  My Jewish grandparents survived the holocaust in eastern europe; that history is very real and immediate for me.  I fear that dark times may be ahead, though I hope we are able to fight back and overcome this.  I don't want to let this apprehension hold me back - but part of me wonders if I'm not being reckless.  

Thanks for reading. 

• Admin

Welcome to the Playground, Sam.  Yes, these are uncertain times, and transitioning, or even admitting to others that you are TG, carries risk.  But the new administration has a lot more on its mind, and its plate, that the likes of us.  I don't see any direction action too soon at the Federal level, but the red states do seem encouraged to start a war against us.  Luckily for you, you are not in such a state.

When you get a chance, please avail yourself of the opportunity to post an introduction.  We all would enjoy learning more about you.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

On 1/26/2017 at 2:56 PM, tracy_j said:

An interesting development!

Taken with your new leader and your version of the Berlin Wall over there I do think how many people are now likening the changing situation to past European dictatorships :(

Tracy

I think when popular opinion turns against him, and congress starts obstructing him or doing what they want and not what he wants. Our parties are really coalitions in European Parliments. A little bit lesss chaotic in make-up but they do have common goals but not always. You also have the leaders in congress, Paul Ryan for example is not a huge fan of trump, he will probably ignore any commands from Trump. In the end our government is great at gridlock, even with a party in control of two of the branches.

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, MarcieMarie12 said:

I think when popular opinion turns against him, a

The mind control spin-meisters are going to need to work overtime. The koolaide's effects might be wearing off.....

Oh, what's that thump ?

Must be the trump stump sliding in a rump...

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 2:44 PM, Tejana said:

Frankly, I haven't seen any systematic dismantling of anything...least ways not anything that seems remotely concerned with anything gender-related.  As far as harassment/discrimination...haven't had any experiences that I couldn't deal with myself.  As far as protection...I think I'd rather handle that myself; don't think I'd want to entrust that task to anyone/anything else.

I'm in Texas too. So far I consider myself very fortunate that other than a few misgenderings, which I interpreted as honest slips and not malicious, I have not had any issue....yet. However, I also know that if my employer had not had gender identity in their nondiscrimination policy I would have waited to transition for fear of being fired. States and the federal government are now looking to strip those policies of any meaning. Texas wants to make it legal to not provide benefits for same-sex couples. Will it happen, probably not, but I shouldn't have to worry about the possibility. I shouldn't have to worry that even when my gender marker is changed next week, could they still say it's a same-sex marriage and still try to deny them.

I do believe that the intent is to make us go back into the closet. To make us hide again. We can be transgender, as long as no one knows that we're transgender. How many of us grew up thinking that the only way we'd ever be able to be our true selves was to disappear one day and live like we're in the witness protection program. Live stealth, lie about your history, never let anyone get too close, work menial jobs because after all "you" have no degree or work history. I don't want that life. I want the one I have now, with a career, a family, lots of friends, all of which know I'm transgender and love and support me for it. I want any transgender students that may be out there to see me and see that you can have a full and happy life and be transgender.

How basic is the ability to safely go to the bathroom in public? They say these bills aren't about us. They lie! If it's not about us, why write things into the laws that exclude making the easiest most basic exceptions for us. Because they don't want to. I transitioned months ago. I went to HR and Administration. We made arrangements for my transition. It is known that I am transgender, therefore I am not one of the "pretending men" this law is supposed to protect against. So why doesn't the law say, "individuals that have made it known previously that they are transgender, and have undergone transition to their identified gender may use the proper restroom." Instead, they explicitly forbid making that accommodation.

6 hours ago, CyndiRae said:

The mind control spin-meisters are going to need to work overtime. The koolaide's effects might be wearing off.....

Oh, what's that thump ?

Must be the trump stump sliding in a rump...

Oh wait popular opinion has already turned against him.....his approval ratings are below 50%.

• Admin
10 hours ago, MarcieMarie12 said:

Oh wait popular opinion has already turned against him.....his approval ratings are below 50%.

His personal opinion of himself has gone up more than enough to counter the slide in popular opinion. :P:banghead:

On 1/27/2017 at 9:32 AM, Briana said:

On the positive side, at least the SD governor said he'd veto it again if it reached his desk.

(Ravin, is that U of South Dakota, or U of San Diego, or?)

University of South Dakota.