• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Shaving face

Guest Vicky

Guest Vicky

I am struggling with my Gillette Fusion razor. It seems to me that this type of razor is not good for shaving the facial hair short enough...I need to go over the same face area with it over and over, and of course, it is not great for my skin...at least I have this troublesome experience. I really like my face smooth and hate to see any facial hair left over after shaving. And it is so expensive to buy these kind of new razors. Do you know any better razor solution for shaving?

Vicky

I'm using bic disposable lasers (pink ones :) ). I have the same problem you do, there are certain areas that take multiple passes to get smooth as I like. Side note, part of me wonders if my dysphoria makes me overly paranoid about it. I have had laser remove 99% of my dark hairs-so no beard shadow. Its just when I touch it it is not completely smooth.

I also have this problem. I've tried multiple types of razors with no solution as of yet. I just do the multiple passes as needed and try to not nick myself. I can't wait to have the laser and electrolysis make me completely hairless on my face!

• Forum Moderator

I think the disposable razors just aren't as sharp as the pricy models.  I've found they just don't cut clean for very long at all.  At least they are cheap!

Jani

Guest Squallsong

I've had this issue with these "new" multi-blade razors.  I've very sensitive skin and my facial hair was pretty course (before HRT and waxing) so I get razor burn something horrible.  Many moons ago, I used a straight razor, then single blade disposables, and never had this problem.  Around 2000, I switched back to using single blade razors (the really old gillette or wilkinson styles with changeable blades) or cheap double blade (with none of those styptic strips on them) for my face, and the problem was much easier to deal with.  Even the cheapest disposables have better quality steel these days...the reason they switched to 3-7 blades was to make it easier to avoid nicks...but they discovered that they could get away with using cheaper steel.  I still use the multi-blade ones for my legs and bikini areas because I don't wear my glasses in the tub, so it helps avoid nicks.

The real trick to going over the same areas with a razor is lubricant...make sure you apply cream and wait a few minutes before shaving, and never go over the same area without a light splash of water or more cream.

Alternatively (if you are really sick of shaving), I've resorted to waxing and plucking...it lasts three weeks, and has made my hair finer, while each removal kills many of the follicles so they never grow back.  It's been about a year for me (15 visits at $25 per, so cheaper than those expensive razors), and I'm probably at the point where even a home wax would work.

• Forum Moderator

Same old problems here I guess. If you saw all the tools in my arsenal for my battle against hair, you'd think me nuts. I've tried muti blade razors, to little availe. I've practically mutilated my face trying to shave closer, tried electric razors. I have really dark facial hair. I just use a single blade disposable and touch up spots with an electric, all the while trying not to cry because of the shadow that never goes away.?

Lots of love,

Timber Wolf?

Guest Vicky

I will definitely try the single blades, both the disposables and the old style Gilettes. Hopefully, one will work for me better than what I have now. But waxing my face sounds very scary to me. Is it safe? Plucking is just like electrolysis but without the juice?

I switched razors and the simply Venus 3 blade with a pivoting head I shave one direction then turn and go the opposite direction. Also the angle you hold the razor seems to make a difference for me hold it so the back of the blades contact more I can really nick bad when the cutting edge is tipped down if this makes sense. I finished my 3rd lazier session out of 24 we started on the chest and worked to the feet it is not bad and the bikini area was no worse than the rest. 

Good luck & smooth shaving. 

5 hours ago, Timber Wolf said:

all the while trying not to cry because of the shadow that never goes away.?

Lots of love,

Timber Wolf?

Try a beard concealer or a red or or lipstick, I used that when I had a beardshadow and it worked pretty well.

• Admin

Use the rinse out type of hair conditioner on your face instead of shaving cream, or use a women's shaving gel.  The hair conditioner has one layer put on a couple of minutes before shaving, and smear more on as you start to shave.  This is a good lubricant and it does get the hair ready to stick out far enough for the razor to catch it.  With blade razors, you will have to go in a couple of directions to get it absolutely smooth and the conditioner can be redone for each direction.  Messy but effective.

I actually use an electric shaver (a Norelco) and then clean up with a Gillette 5 blade after adding the lubricant.  Noxzema or Nivea face creams do pretty good as well.  Old faithfuls to me.

Derma Blend foundation does a great job for beard concealer since it is made as a tattoo cover, but the Brick red lipstick trick under your concealer is an old faithful thing that works just fine. 

• Forum Moderator

I have had good luck with the fusion you mentioned when i use it in the shower.  I wash first then after doing my general hygiene routine i use soap as a lubricant and then shave.  Perhaps i'm luck but that does it for me.....smooth and no sign of a beard.

Hugs,

Charlize

I use bic disposable. The most expensive ones (2$ / piece) and I use them only once each. My skin is very very sensitive, other models make me bleeding

My beard grows too fast and I must shave my face twice a day, which hurts my skin

Perhaps I should use other lubricants.... 

Love 

Clara

• Admin
29 minutes ago, gt002 said:

Perhaps I should use other lubricants....

Give my creme rinse / conditioner trick a try.  That was suggested by person who does special make-up work for the drag community and their pageants.

On 22/03/2017 at 3:06 PM, VickySGV said:

Give my creme rinse / conditioner trick a try.  That was suggested by person who does special make-up work for the drag community and their pageants.

Just tried this. It's a good trick. (but like you said it's "messy")

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

I wish I could offer a solution but I use the Gillette Fusion as well.....
(I am having trouble finding the 4-pack replacement cartridges though! I ended up buying a 4pk of the Fusion Power in hopes that it will work just as well)
I also tried looking around the female shaving section but I just feel more comfortable using a men's razor. Less gimicky and more functional, in my opinion.

Guest Kaylee

For my part,  I prefer the Schick Hydro 5 blade.  I particularly like it because you can fold up the lubrication strip,  and get into tight areas like under the nose, and around sideburns better. They also seem to last a pretty long time as well,  since I use them to shave elsewhere as well. 

The only time I've used a blade razor since my teens was Basic Training. Otherwise, always used electric. Blades always burned my face badly. Even the good electrics burn me sometimes too. Ugh

• Forum Moderator

I use electric now almost exclusively as I've found my skin is easily irritated the longer I'm on estrogen.  Electrolysis is working good also so there is less to do.  

Jani

Another thing to try is changing shaving creams. One might work better than the other.

On 3/30/2017 at 11:27 AM, MarcieMarie12 said:

Another thing to try is changing shaving creams. One might work better than the other.

I did use a medicated Gel for a long time until my body kinda got used to being shaved sometimes, but no, the face, never got used to the burnnnnnnnn..........

• 1 month later...

For me I found using a moisturizing body lotion works better than shaving cream,   Also if I remember right if you have sensitive skin anymore than 2-3 blade razor is not good for you