• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Look In The Mirror

Guest MrAwesome

Guest MrAwesome

Lately, I find myself unable to see my reflection, or any pictures I have of me... from forever, as a girl. I think this is good, a progress, I see myself as a boy 100% I feel like my pics from when I was a little kid are pictures of a little boy that is cross dressed. I sat down and tried to do a self portrait of me, using a pic from when I was in 4th grade, a school picture, and I traced the lines, and played around with it a little bit to make the one side of the face look like the current me --- and then the other side I was gonna draw a picture that still looks like me, but more of a masculine looking face... and to my surprise... all I could draw is the other side of the same face. ^_^

It's nice, but still, my dysphoria with the rest of my body is getting worse, and I actually started wearing my binder to bed... (Wouldn't want you to think I was feeling better about it trust me, I'm not! >_<)

So my question is for you guys, what do you see when you look in the mirror? what do you see when you look at your pictures?

I see me, the same me that I have always seen - I have yet to see the woman that others say they see.

It is because of all of the years of denial that keeps me from seeing the real me - others see it but I can't.

You see yourself as male, but can't wait to transition, I would think that it should be easier for you than me, you see yourself as male, you are living as male and people are accepting you as male - that my young friend is about 95% of transitioning!

I am still battling with the fact that I can not begin to live as female for another 12 months or more, I have to see myself as male so much that losing that image when I look in the mirror is almost impossible.

Hopefully when I do start on my hormones, I will begin to relax a bit more and see the same person that everyone else does.

For both of us only time will tell.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Liam

I look at some old pictures and see a little girl, and in some I see a little boy. Really, though, just me. Being a girl is a part of my history and I'm not ashamed of it. It is a bit odd to look at those pictures, though, and think about how I got from where I was then to where I am now. Now I look in the mirror and see a young man, growing in confidence and strength, and I'm proud. :)

Careful about wearing the binder to bed. I know how you feel, and it sounds tempting to me, too, but it really isn't good for you to wear it 24/7. Gotta give your lungs a break.

Guest Elizabeth K

Mr. A.

I see me! Elizabeth... it took 61 years, but I finally see me.

It started about month 4 on hormones. One morning, there I was! I've been there ever since, so I guess I had better get accustomed to it!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaa

that's why I changed my avatar - I see me in my photos now.

Lizzy

Guest Cody_T

In the mirror, I see a guy.

In pictures, I see a girl but don't really associate her with myself. I've always been bad with that though; I'm always kind of shocked to realize the person I'm looking at is supposed to be me.

Guest MrAwesome
I see me, the same me that I have always seen - I have yet to see the woman that others say they see.

It is because of all of the years of denial that keeps me from seeing the real me - others see it but I can't.

You see yourself as male, but can't wait to transition, I would think that it should be easier for you than me, you see yourself as male, you are living as male and people are accepting you as male - that my young friend is about 95% of transitioning!

I am still battling with the fact that I can not begin to live as female for another 12 months or more, I have to see myself as male so much that losing that image when I look in the mirror is almost impossible.

Hopefully when I do start on my hormones, I will begin to relax a bit more and see the same person that everyone else does.

For both of us only time will tell.

Love ya,

Sally

Thanks, I don't normally see it that way --- I'm 80% there! :D (I still have to get my name officially changed, the lawyer hasn't gotten back to us. Then I'll be 95% there! :) ) I can't believe you're not on hormones yet! What have you been doing eating 50lbs of soy a day?! O_O nothing but soy... I thought you already had SRS XD There's no way that's a boy in that pic! O_O You gotta be playing a joke on me... -.- How could you no see a... slightly obese... woman in that pic?!

Guest MrAwesome
I look at some old pictures and see a little girl, and in some I see a little boy. Really, though, just me. Being a girl is a part of my history and I'm not ashamed of it. It is a bit odd to look at those pictures, though, and think about how I got from where I was then to where I am now. Now I look in the mirror and see a young man, growing in confidence and strength, and I'm proud. :)

Careful about wearing the binder to bed. I know how you feel, and it sounds tempting to me, too, but it really isn't good for you to wear it 24/7. Gotta give your lungs a break.

I know :( I take it off to shower, and I only just started wearing it to bed... sometimes after I get out of the shower I leave it off for an hour or 2.

I personally, don't even REMEMBER back when I was a girl... I get only a few images. When I saw the pics, a lot of them were me in boys clothes, or just normal clothes like shorts and T-shirts, the were androgynous or like were Pink in color. -.- I had my hair short for as long as I can remember. So it's not surprising I think of them like that. I look a lot like my little brother Andrew in some of them. Hence I don't remember being a girl I guess, I remember just being me, a little boy, in ways. :)

I am ashamed that I ever was female in any way/shape/form. I'm glad you don't feel ashamed of that, it's... healthier.. that way.

Guest Neuro

I have always seen myself as a guy. When I see images of my younger self, I think "That's me as a little boy." I always knew who I was, but was rarely allowed to dress it... so I just acted out who I was the best could do. Looked very male when I was younger--now, have to cover more <_<

When I wear my girls clothes and see myself, I think; "These would look so much better on a girl. Why do I have to wear these?" Just something inside telling me, "You don't look like a little girl is supposed to. And it makes you happy? Normally that would be insulting, to hear from people. But you wear it proudly."

It might be a stupid answer, but it is what I think when I see myself. And now that I have started binding my chest better and wearing more androgynous clothes (SOMEDAY will be able to buy mens clothing!!)--It makes me happier to see myself. Once I can wear real men clothing and have some work done--So happy a thought he he~

I hope that someday everyone can see themselves happy for who they are, even if it seems far-off. We can achieve our dreams, someday.

P.S: When I see your icon Mr. A; every time I think how biologically male you look is amazing! It is very incredible. But wearing a binder to bed, even if it is loose; can be damaging to ribs and lungs--hope you be careful with it, yes.

Guest ~Brenda~

Hey Lewis,

In the mirror, I see everything that I don't want to see, the body not feminine enough, the face.. too masculine. Pictures? don't even go there! My pictures are awful.

bernii

Guest Leigh

i see a weird slightly androgynous guy with tumor on his chest and puffy lips....

and i need new clothes...

but it does make me uncomfortable. i wish i was looking at something else..

peace&love

your big bro

You need to lose the shame of having been born female, isn't it enough that you hide the shame of being a male when you were perceived as female?

It is time to stop being ashamed and be proud of who you are, the past is but a dim shadow in the flickering light of a single candle, let it go - you can life for the future if you can stop dieing in the past.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Benzrathe

I see me, the guy who's still a work in progress. But I have to say, I like the progress thus far. =]

Benz

Guest MrAwesome
P.S: When I see your icon Mr. A; every time I think how biologically male you look is amazing! It is very incredible. But wearing a binder to bed, even if it is loose; can be damaging to ribs and lungs--hope you be careful with it, yes.

EXACTLY!!! I don't LOOK like a girl! >_< No bodys ever seen me as Female unless they were told that I was... or saw my chest... :( I always hated it when MOM outed me! T_T Every time I'm called a girl it's like a slap in the face! I'm just so glad that's over now... and soon I'll hopefully be on T! :D and I can pass as my age! ^_^

Guest Evan_J

I hate old pictures :(

I hated em on the day they were took cuz I knew "I looked dressed up like a girl".

I hate em now because I look like a boy who was dressed up to look like a girl and its very sgaming and hurts.And makes me "hate myself" and want to tear up the picture. If I could I would collect every picture everybody ever had of me and tear em up.

When I look in the mirror now -after being on T for the last ...7 months is it?.... I see a good looking guy who I'd like to have have more hair on his face :P

Oh yeah and "stop wearing the binder to bed".

Guest Evan_J
i look in the mirror and dont see myself, just makes me wona break it

I used to have that "I don't see myelf" feeling :( Especially in my twenties for some reason. Then it faded into starting to "ignore" the mirror all together. I'd go out at moments looking all kinds of crazy -big piece of lint in my hair or something- because I wasn't lookin in the mirror. Any mirror. I hurt every time I saw "not male". So I didn't look any longer.

Try to stay together emotionally. Just know that it will be over.

Guest Donna Jean

I see Donna Jean......

I can't really see "That Guy" anymore...

In old pictures I see some some guy standing next to an airplane....

Not bad looking...and probably smart....and in pain....

Now.....where did I put that cherry red nail polish????

Donna Jean

Guest julia_d

I just see me.. looking good, hungover, tired, stressed, happy, sad, worried.. whatever.. it's still me.

Pictures of me as a child don't relate (dug out my divorce papers.. ooo.. look.. 2 complete strangers names!!).. my body is different.. my face is different and my hair is even a different colour.. who is that kid??.. it sure ain't me.

Guest B.heard

Mostly I see me now, how I feel but in my kid pic's I can see how badly my mother was trying to girl me up long hair and fluffy clothes >.< yuk I dont know how well I pass its hard to really judge without going up to odd strangers and getting them to make a gender comment seems about 80% if i dont speak and alot less if I do speak >.< even with the fact I have NO moobs now gah.

I have a pic of me in my gallery have a look and judge for ya self I still not sure but T will be kicking in soon and that will help mind and body :)

Guest Donna Jean
Mostly I see me now, how I feel but in my kid pic's I can see how badly my mother was trying to girl me up long hair and fluffy clothes >.< yuk I dont know how well I pass its hard to really judge without going up to odd strangers and getting them to make a gender comment seems about 80% if i dont speak and alot less if I do speak >.< even with the fact I have NO moobs now gah.

I have a pic of me in my gallery have a look and judge for ya self I still not sure but T will be kicking in soon and that will help mind and body :)

Oh, MY!

You're HOT!

Why didn't you say so sooner?

Nice pic.

You should be proud!

**wipes steam off glasses**

Donna Jean

Guest julia_d

behave!!! we are supposed to be spoken for.. or is it "open" relationship time..

I could do with a bit of younger manflesh myself.. but that would be cheating.. and superficial... and and and.. /me tries to find excuses....

That is NOT a girl! That is a cis-man!

You will be SO HOT with beard stubble and/or a goatee! (yummy....)

Anyway, I had this problem growing up; I didn't know what my face looked like. I mean, I knew my face when I saw it in a mirror cause I was standing there, but I couldn't even readily oick myself out of a photogrpah. It was wierd and I remember people commenting about it. When I hit my teens, the dysphoria was in full swing and I got a full taste of the face: I looked like a girl with short hair. In fact I was relived when the facial hair came in because I looked less like a girl. But I almost always saw a girl staring back at me, and I hated it. Even when I (forced) myself to see a guy in the mirror, it was a very effeminate one. I grew out a beard, and it did help, but a lot of the time, I saw a drag king staring back at me. Just a really ugly drag king. It was exasperating.

myuglymug.jpg

This is me three years ago, was it all just in my head, cause I really can't understand how someone can look at that face and say 'guy.'

Guest kirsty

Me and the mirror have a bad time with each other at the best of times. I think it all started when I smashed one in temper as a kid. When I look into the mirror these days I just see an unhappy face staring back at me. I don't particularly like myself so looking in the mirror is hard for me.

Guest April

For me mirrors can be ok if I pay close attition to what I am doing ..... hehe ..... ok now I know that really sounds stupid but I can explain. For me at everypoint in the day I mentaly see myself in my head, mental pic. of myself so to say. At anytime during the day I can walk up to a mirror and be fine as long as I do 2 things, (1) remenber to mentaly tell myself that what I am fixing to see is different than what the picture in my head is. ( I know this sound really stupid, but trust me it is better for me to do this than what normaly happens if I forget to. Last time I forgot to do this I spent 2 weeks in mass deppresion and even wished I would die. Not very fun at all !!!) (2) If I am doing something like brushing my hair then I look at my hair and not the whole mirror ...... less destracting for me that way. Like I said it really sounds stupid but it really has seemed to help me out greatly.

As far as pictures go, when I see a picture of myself it dose not hardly ever register that that is me atleast at first, just seems to be a picture of some boy or guy in a picture. This is made worse by the fact that I blocked 75% of my childhood, and really only remenber the parts related to me wanting to be a little girl on the outside to match how I felt on the inside.

Guest Jackson
Oh, MY!

You're HOT!

Why didn't you say so sooner?

Nice pic.

You should be proud!

**wipes steam off glasses**

Donna Jean

Jeez, and she didn't even say that about me. I'm hurt.

I used to hate looking in the mirror because I was always surprised by what I saw. It's getting better even though I really don't see much of a change. There is quite a bit of change though.

I can't help being impatient. It's only been a little over eight months and I know this is a long long process, but can't it happen a little quicker?

PS -- Man, I've missed y'all.