• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

IRS Name Change?

Guest Jamie61

Guest Jamie61

Greetings!

I had previously change my social security account information (name and gender marker in 2016), but after submitting a 2016 tax return using my new legal name, my tax return arrive addressed to my old name...  

Does anyone know if you have to "change your name with the IRS? I don't recall that being mentioned anywhere.

Has this same thing happened to anyone else?

Thanks and be well!

Jamie

Good question, seeing as I owed.  I don't think you do, but I also got my W-2 in Marcie's name. Did any of your w-2's have the dead name?

• Admin

I am a retired tax agent for CA. that worked with the IRS as well.  If your name has been changed by your employers for this current year, you do not have anything special to do, but it would not hurt to just call the IRS, or set up a personal internet based account with them and communicate that way.  If all your W2 forms have your current name on them it will all smooth out next year.

If your check came in your old name, just endorse it with old name on top and new signature below and deposit it in the bank account where you changed it with a bank and it will be fine.  No need to send the check back that way.

What will happen is that your SSN will be tied to two accounts for the next 3 years and you may be given a TPID number to use to separate the old name and new name until the  prior information drops off their records. 

Guest Jamie61

Thanks Ladies!

My W2 was in my 'live' name. So it sounds like it should work itself out.  All financials and employer have alreadybeen 'transitioned' :) 

I may call the IRS after tax season just to confirm.

Jamie

• Admin
2 hours ago, Jamie61 said:

I may call the IRS after tax season just to confirm.

You can go online now to "My IRS" and probably get things done even faster than a phone call will.  Having the account access gets 24/7 service