• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Swine Flu

Guest StrandedOutThere

Guest StrandedOutThere

All this talk on the news about swine flu, or H1N1 influenza if you prefer, has me all scared. I'm one with a hypochondriac bent, so this really has my anxiety levels up. I've been avoiding the outside world a good bit, but not completely.

No. It probably doesn't make sense to be so scared. The problem is that I think I have flu-like symptoms. I think... When I get anxious, I think my brain invents stuff. Anyway, I keep wanting to go get checked out, but I know that would be just like jumping right into the line of fire. If there is some kind of pandemic, you do NOT want to be near a hospital or doctor's office. NO WAY!!

Mostly I just wish to know the answer to this question: out of all the people in the world that have mild flu-like symptoms, what percentage of those actually have swine flu?

*sigh*

Who else is anxious? Hearing about swine flu in your town? Supposedly there aren't confirmed cases where I live....not yet.

Guest Pioneer

Media is just hyping this thing. It's nothing. Don't worry about it. Average common flu kills Americans by thousands, but only one person died from this and everyone is recovering fine.

Avian bird flu was much more dangerous and with more fatalities but you never heard anyone talking about closing the Canadian border in which it started.

Guest Neuro

In TX where I live, there are people in my town even who have it. But only one person has died in the state, a 22 month old from Mexico here on vacation. Schools are closed and even churches are taking measures.

I may be wrong, but for right now; the swine flu actually isn't that BAD. It just doesn't have any persons with immunity to it, because it is a new disease. It is fairly weak, and the people who have it will likely recover like from an ordinary flu because it is still not used to humans yet.

If you do have flu symptoms, you should go to the hospital; though. The sooner it is treated, the sooner whatever it is can be defeated. And the sooner a vaccine or countermeasure can be made.

If you do have aching or fever, and don't want to go to the doctors office because of other people with the flu; you can wear a mask and be sure to stay away from people who seem sick. Be sure to keep hands away from face, and take some hand wipes/disinfectant soap with you.

I am no medical professional, but flu symptoms should be seen by a doctor at this time... so they can be given medication ASAP.

Where I live, it is VERY widespread. Because we are right up next to our neighbors, Mexico (where is supposedly started). But only a tiny percent of people with flu symptoms have the actual Swine Flu. And the people who have it, are recovering quickly. The only people who seem to be doing poorly are very young children with it (like in schools closing). Elderly and people with immunity problems may be at higher risk, but healthy people--even if they catch it--are recovering very fast. At the moment, it is not worse than an ordinary flu. At the MOMENT. If it gains strength in the fall flu season, it may be worse to worry of. BUT--because people are getting sick while it is weak, immunity will be built up faster; and a cure/treatment can become better.

I am anxious about this as well, because I am fairly succeptable to disease <_< But so long as you avoid people who are ill, and don't fly to Mexico or Texas; the strain of flu should not be a bad one. Let's hope, at least. Are there any doctors here with a better opinion, maybe more accurate? I have only heard this information in the newspaper.

Guest leo

here in hospitals and such your not allowed to call it swine flu, its actually mexcian flu as its a mixture or chicken, human, and swine flu

Mis-information is just as scary. In Egypt they are slaughtering all the pigs even though you can't catch it that way.

Laura

Guest Deeedoo

I have an anxiety disorder, and so does my mom. She made me very paranoid about the swine flu for a while and I was so afraid that someone I knew could die. Now, I'm just mildly paranoid about it.

Guest Drew

oh yeah, it's got me pretty freaked out. especially since i work around sick people everyday and am in a hospital quite often. there have been a few cases in new york, so as a safety precaution, a lot of first responders (that would be me) are required to wear masks. it's really not helping with my anxiety at all, and i was a lot like you, Ainsley, to start out with. my brain seems to invent things when i'm anxious. :mellow:

Drew

Guest StrandedOutThere

Neuro. Hello. I'm not sure we've formally met. Welcome to the forums!

I'm not even sure I have flu symptoms. Like I said, I've got a bit of an anxiety disorder (high 5 for the anxious club, Deeedoo). If I get worried about stuff like the swine flu or whatever they want to call it now, what I think I feel like isn't always right...if that makes sense. I'm odd like that. When I was working on my thesis, I kept thinking I had meningitis. No, I never had it and wasn't exposed to it. I was just really freaked out and kept getting headaches. Not meningitis.

A bit ago I took my temperature. It was normal. I don't have a fever. If I feel worse in the morning, I will call the student health center and see what they say. There is NO WAY I'm going near a hospital or doctor's office. If I didn't have it, I'd be a lot more likely to get it there than at home.

This is probably just media hype...mostly. Laura, I did read about them killing off pigs in Egypt. I think that's why they are not wanting to call it swine flu anymore.

What scares me isn't what's going on now, it's the potential for the virus to mutate as it spreads. That's what the World Health Organization is scared of too. I think it isn't drug resistant now, but that could happen.

Bummer though... A friend of mine is coming in from Germany tonight. He wanted to meet a group of us out for dinner or something. My anxiety is going to make it hard to go out into a crowded place. Maybe we can go somewhere and sit outside. :(

Guest StrandedOutThere
oh yeah, it's got me pretty freaked out. especially since i work around sick people everyday and am in a hospital quite often. there have been a few cases in new york, so as a safety precaution, a lot of first responders (that would be me) are required to wear masks. it's really not helping with my anxiety at all, and i was a lot like you, Ainsley, to start out with. my brain seems to invent things when i'm anxious. :mellow:

Drew

Wow...Drew... Be careful out there! You're living in NY now, huh? Maaaaaan....keep that mask on!

My anxiety has gotten a lot better since I started T. I think a lot of my anxiety was fueled by general unrest about who I was. The generalized anxiety is still hanging around. I'm just high strung, like the rest of my family. However, I'm very thankful to have the volume turned down on it at least a little.

Guest Neuro

Uwah, anxiety does make things worse. I was very worried at first, StrandedOutThere. Maybe you could talk to someone who knows a lot of hard facts about the swine flu, to see what they think (I wouldn't know who, though) o^0

If you still want to go somewhere with your friend, though; somewhere less crowded and more open/less touching (like, not the McDonalds play place!!) would be a healthy spot. Like a park, a nice restaurant with open space, et cetera. Of course, there can still be fun staying at home; there could be something to do. (TV is always good y'know?)

I am worried about the mutation, too... Is supposed to get bad in fall. But like Pioneer said, Bird Flu was bad; but no borders were closed. Hopefully it will get under control! I am hoping it was just media hype. VP Biden didn't help matters <_<

(Also, thank you for the welcome)

Since so many health people are on it, though; whatever this virus is should be set under control very soon. I am kind of downfallen, because an anime convention that I was going to attend in Dallas in May; might be canceled for disease prevention :( My nerdy glee of dressing as bishonen and buying gundams is going to be shot down until September >_>

Guest StrandedOutThere
Uwah, anxiety does make things worse. I was very worried at first, StrandedOutThere. Maybe you could talk to someone who knows a lot of hard facts about the swine flu, to see what they think (I wouldn't know who, though) o^0

If you still want to go somewhere with your friend, though; somewhere less crowded and more open/less touching (like, not the McDonalds play place!!) would be a healthy spot. Like a park, a nice restaurant with open space, et cetera. Of course, there can still be fun staying at home; there could be something to do. (TV is always good y'know?)

I am worried about the mutation, too... Is supposed to get bad in fall. But like Pioneer said, Bird Flu was bad; but no borders were closed. Hopefully it will get under control! I am hoping it was just media hype. VP Biden didn't help matters <_<

(Also, thank you for the welcome)

Since so many health people are on it, though; whatever this virus is should be set under control very soon. I am kind of downfallen, because an anime convention that I was going to attend in Dallas in May; might be canceled for disease prevention :( My nerdy glee of dressing as bishonen and buying gundams is going to be shot down until September >_>

No one really knows the kind of statistical information I'd need to deal with my anxiety. It's okay. I'll cool out soon. I'm used to handling anxiety. I think I deal with it myself as well as any medication did. Meh. It's just something I deal with.

If they end up going to someplace with outside seating, I'll head on over. Otherwise, this boy is staying inside the house where it is safe.

What's up with VP Biden? I live in a hole (graduate school) and don't keep up with the news. I've heard people cracking jokes about the VP lately but didn't know what it was about.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Anime convention cancelled?!!! I hope that doesn't happen. I'm with you on the nerdy glee! My nerd designation is "sci-fi nerd". If anime had been big when I was younger, I'd have been a huge anime nerd. Even as an "adult" (and I use the term lightly) I indulge my otaku side as much as time allows. Good stuff.

I am no good at remembering exact numbers when the talking heads on the news begin to spew statistics.

However, a doctor in my area pointed out what the deathe rate was from any flu when treated with the most efective vaccine is only .75% (that's right onthree quarters of one percent) lower than the untreated death rate in Mexico - not quite the end of the world, it doesn't sound too pleasant so I believe that I will pass on having it.

Deeedoo, don't panic, let me slip into my hazmat suit that I keep nearby and I'll give you a hug.

In the 70's there was a comet that was supposed to strike the Earth and kill us all - well, that missed too!

Please don't breath directly on the screen like that!

All of this panic because the members of the CDC don't get enough 'face time' on television.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Neuro

Biden said all sorts of things about quarantining his family and weird stuff, but even the President has said he overreacted.

Sci-fi is teh awesomeness!!! D8 Since it already cost me a load for a hotel and et cetera, cancellation will cost me big time (investment) but they already canceled Mayfest, and that is even bigger.

There was hardly anyone at the movie theater, either. And I was looking forward to Star Trek <_< (This adult enjoys his nerd glee. With some sort of odd pride.) A lot of people are just staying home, for now; that might be the best thing.

Guest DanM

First of all this flu really isn't any different from any other flu. Thousands get the flu every year and some do die if they get a high enough fever that can't be broke or the lungs are too stressed. But in most cases it is mild. The only reason people in Mexico are dying from it is because of their level of medical care there is so poor. Avian flu which is found in most wild birds has the capability to kill more humans than most flus do.

Wash your hands often, limit contact with those you know have cold or flu like symptoms and you can go through the year without even getting a mild case.

The best thing to do is try to prevent the spread of any virus, even a cold.

Guest Evan_J

I like when you get goofy over stuff like the swine flu only because it verifies for me that we both are overreactors :)

Real serious bro, I did the exact same thing like 2 days ago (well not "exact" but y'know....) I got into reading all the scientific postulating and "pandemic" and the level of concern of the homeland security and the plant in Stillwater PA and blah, blah, blah..... We're germaphobes lol. You likely do not have the swine flu. Don't drive yourself berserk and in your case only wash your hands one extra time than you do already lol. I suspect me and Ainsley have a monopoly on "cleanliness" (in no way related to whether or not you have stuff strewn about the joint, talkin about germs here) the rest of the forum can only speculate about lol.

Guest StrandedOutThere
I like when you get goofy over stuff like the swine flu only because it verifies for me that we both are overreactors :)

Real serious bro, I did the exact same thing like 2 days ago (well not "exact" but y'know....) I got into reading all the scientific postulating and "pandemic" and the level of concern of the homeland security and the plant in Stillwater PA and blah, blah, blah..... We're germaphobes lol. You likely do not have the swine flu. Don't drive yourself berserk and in your case only wash your hands one extra time than you do already lol. I suspect me and Ainsley have a monopoly on "cleanliness" (in no way related to whether or not you have stuff strewn about the joint, talkin about germs here) the rest of the forum can only speculate about lol.

Evan, my worry-brother! Yeah, that's us. Overreacting is the new manliness!!

Neuro, I need to see both the new Star Trek movie and the Wolverine movie too. Eventually I will become Wolverine. I need adamantium claws. I need them now.

Sounds like the VP made a little presidential faux pas. Gotta be all chill when you are the VP.

My friend sent me this website link:

Do I have swine flu?

I think she was messing with me.

Guest CharliTo
My friend sent me this website link:

Do I have swine flu?

I think she was messing with me.

lol.

but really though. Swine flu is being hyped up a bit too much... I do wonder what's making the people in Mexico have a higher mortality rate...but I'm guessing it must have to do with some of the poor facilities in some areas.

:\

lol.

but really though. Swine flu is being hyped up a bit too much... I do wonder what's making the people in Mexico have a higher mortality rate...but I'm guessing it must have to do with some of the poor facilities in some areas.

:\

we don't really think about it that much but Mexico is truly a third world country, over crowded, poverty stricken, and sanitary conditions are horrible.

Even in the Capital of Mexico City they have Millions of people and the worst air in the world - polution that makes LA's smog seem like fresh mountain air - the real question is how is the mortality rate staying so low?

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Zabrak

My parents have a vacation house in mexico. If you just walk down a few streets you can go see the 'locals' living styles. Theres garbage laying on every street, dead, rotting dogs on every conner. Wild dogs everywhere that follow you, limping, looking like their about to die. They have street stands selling food thats ROTTING with fly poop all over them. And you see mexicans BUYING this rotting, fly pooped on food. It is so nasty, so gross. And its not just the "poor town a couple streets down". We went to many places and there are tons and tons of poor towns like this. There are so many mexicans living in the most horrid conditions with poor medical, no wonder their death rate is so high. I got to see how a lot of them live with my own eyes....so trust me.

I wouldn't worry and go crazy about it just because the news is making this so big. You live in the U.S, not mexico. I would however just stay clean, keep your hands washed and don't have too much contact with people if you can avoid it.

Guest Selkia
Mis-information is just as scary. In Egypt they are slaughtering all the pigs even though you can't catch it that way.

Laura

:( Poor pigs..-___- I hate when people mass slaughter animals...

On another note..I am not afraid of the Mexicain flu..I may Have already have it...I was extremely awhile back..But i tend to recover quickly so I am not scared at all...only thing that bothers me...is cancer and Heart attacks and tumors...>___<; I am pariod about them I think I have cancer..then I get it checked out and I don't...

did..they ever cure west nile virus or srars (not sure if I spelt it right)... because that was big news awhile back..

and with alot of these sickness are caused from..(mainly in china.) they are digging up the ground to build new places..and it is making deieses from long ago..become airborn again...because back in medevil times and times before that..they would just bury dead bodies...that died from sickness..in mass unmarked tombs..which now are being turned up.. tho..probbly the remains are nearly nothing...and the reason I say mainly in china..is because china has a huge population...and dieses can pass throw easily...tho I know for a fact that alot of deises are coming from other country also..but I have personally witnessed people coming back from China..and next thing u know everyone is sick that the person was near...like my sister's daycare..class was completely empty inculding her because they all picked up this werid sickness...

^^;...sorry started ranting...anyhow..thats what I think is happening..

Sel

Guest anna123

the only reason people are dying "of" swine flu is because it weakens the immune system so more harmful diseases can move in

Guest Sophie H

We have our first case confirmed near to where I live, well it's about 15 miles away from me, but still too close for my liking. I tend to try not to concern myself with it and just think what will be will be.

Swine Flu is no more harmful than a regular flu, which I think I have right now (the regular flu, that is). The only thing that makes it worse is that we have no vaccine and it's possibly harder to treat because it's a new virus that we haven't been exposed to before. That'll change soon, though.

In the US, roughly 90-100 people have Swine Flu. That's ... let's see. There are approximately 304,059,724 people in the United States (as of 2008). Isn't that like 3 millionths of a percentile (0.000003%) of the US population is infected, then? Or am I just bad at math? OR BOTH?!

Anyways. 90-100 people in the US have been infected. Only 1 person has died. In Mexico, over 200 people have died, but as it's been said earlier (thank you Sally) Mexico is a third world country. They have absolutely horrible living conditions and practically no access to medical care. Regular flu is probably just as deadly there as Swine Flu.

So yeah, there's nothing to worry about. If you get it, then you get it and you go to a hospital and yeah it'll suck for awhile but you get over it and move on with your life. And your body will be more immune to it too. If you don't get it, then it doesn't even matter. Swine Flu is just being hyped up by the media and by mis-informed people.

Ah, I was so looking forward to going to Vegas and metting Randall Flag. He's my hero of sorts.