• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Finding an HP in Sobriety

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

I saw this today and thought i would share it here as many i've spoken to who would otherwise have found sobriety in AA have used the "God" thing as a reason to stay away from recovery.  We are all welcome whether you believe in God with a capital G or as a higher power as shared below.  

9dfb8000-c1b4-4812-925f-7361a125dcf9.jpg

S.gif
946d8fc6-8ea7-4e10-9edf-eeaf3f3f55ed.jpg
October 3, 2017

"My understanding of a Higher Power is still subject to shifts. Sometimes, I think of it as The Unknowable, or as The Great What Is. Often, I envision it as an indifferent force, something like an electrical current, that is available to all living things and from which human beings can derive strength and generosity and acceptance. The one thing I feel sure of is that it's more powerful than my will."

New York, N.Y., May 1999
"Sunlight and Air," Sober and Out

Hugs,

Charlize
  • Admin

This is an important distinction, Charlize.  I've known many people who have objected to AA / NA on the basis of the higher power requirement.  They've equated it to "you must believe in and submit yourself to God with that capital G."  And they've all struggled with sobriety, trying to go it alone.  Thanks for sharing this important bit of information.

• Admin

My understanding of Higher Power is really pretty fluid.   I let folks who are newly entering the Sober Forest know that in finding the HP for them, they will have to do some work.  The important thing is not giving a NAME to the HP, just looking outside of yourself with your full knowledge that you cannot do it alone.  I have been a "god of their understanding" to several newbies.  They could turn to me when they could not control themselves without help, and my head being a notch clearer than theirs was enough for the moment.  Thankfully most realized the limits of my ability quickly and moved on, in some cases to an actual deity, some to the group conscience of their recovering friends (note the plural) but if they stayed on a sober pathway, they were not alone. My Priest and I have discussed the fact that my understanding of God changes, even in spaces only 120' apart from each other.  One of my meetings is at my church, that distant from from the main Sanctuary where I worship on Sundays.  My understanding in each location is subtly shifted, but as I told my Priest, three dimensional maps are created from two aerial photographs taken from two different angles above the ground.  Thus perhaps a clearer vision of my understanding that gives depth to a single picture is actually a gift. 

The first days the first time I almost struggled with the God thing until I caught "of my understanding" That gave me free license to develop my own belief. Over time and as a practicing Buddhist, I find the notion of a Higher Power and Buddhism are non-theistic and work quite well for me. Side note: has taken 31 years to get 90 days today (again):applause:

• Forum Moderator

Congratulations on 90  !!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!  

I've found that as my ability to "let go" has gone i find peace on occasion.  I used to use drugs or alcohol to loose control.  Today i'm finding a spiritual path to the same ends.

Hugs,

Charlize

(how did everything get italicized?)  let it go