• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A Healthy Realization About Make-up

VickySGV

• Admin

I have been a participant in an ongoing LGBT Health Study that the University of CA, San Francisco is doing.  I did the initial survey about a year ago, but every now and then they add on new areas where they want information.  I had two new surveys pop up on my "dashboard" today that I did my best on.  The first one was on body issues related to food and body shape and weight issues such as anorexia and bulimia which happily I have not had thankfully.  My eating problems are from Type II Diabetes which for me have not really freaked me out, although it would be nice to get a little less weighty.

The second survey today was on skin issues and skin care in the sun.  The good part for Trans Women is that some of the best makeup we use for beard cover is very much up in the SPF number range.  I looked at my makeup supplies and found that I have maximum SPF from almost all of my moisturizing products as well.  There are real advantages to using makeup if your family is prone to sunburns and skin cancer.  We are doing something right for ourselves. 

• Forum Moderator

I grew up where you are, I was careless about living under the sun as a young person, I paid the price later in life with damaged skin. I don't take those chances anymore, where I live today is #3 in skin cancers reported in the country, hard to believe with all our cloudy skies, yet people get complacent. Yes many off the shelf products come with some sun protection, and I add on from there, for example Derma Blend cover cream foundations come with SPF 30 protection. I particularly like "Neutrogena Ultra Sheer dry touch" sunscreen with SPF 55 broad spectrum protection. I love the outdoors, so I definitely take precautions.

• Forum Moderator

After spending my childhood with sunburn every summer, I now love that I can use makeup with fairly high spf every time I go out. After taking my mother to the hospital last week for removal of a cancerous mole I do think even more about things and it does raise a good point that my life has changed.

Tracy

• Forum Moderator

Thanks for this reminder about taking care of our skin.  That was one of the first things I noticed about my make up, that it was listed as a sunscreen.  We get to look good while doing good!   

Jani

Good conversation about skincare in the sun. I've had a cancerous mole on my neck removed, but now as a transwoman I will wear lots of sunblock! (I didn't before.) I've had "lotion with sunblock" on my shopping list for a week and haven't bought any. It's time to follow through. I've also noticed that my nose gets red before other areas of my face. No more :)

Gwen

Very good topic thank you for posting it I will be spending much more time outside as soon as the snow goes I will have to check my make up ,this is my first summer full time I still have a lot to learn

Bobbisue:)

• 3 months later...

I have noticed this as well. I was reviewing my make up and moisturizers after my first laser hair removal treatment for SPF, and to my surprise each one had a varying range from SPF 15-30. Very nice to know that my face is covered. So now I am even more inclined to use my moisturizers!