• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

From Diversity To Sameness, A PRIDE Meditation

VickySGV

• Admin

It is Pride season again, and on Saturday I was at the Pride event in Long Beach CA to help out the San Gabriel Valley LGBTQ Center which I volunteer at these days.  This was the first of several events I will be going to over the next few weeks, and others stretching over the next month or two.

One of the people I was with made the comment that “We really are a diverse group here!!”  The comment got me thinking, and re-opened my eyes to something that has amazed me in the relatively few years I have recognized that I am part of the LGBTQIA**** (the letters keep adding on) alphabet soup of life that does and will exist.  My friend was right about the scope of the diversity that does exist and is on display at Pride events without shame and yes, with PRIDE in what and who each individual really is. 

To many people Diversity is one of those concepts that ranks up with blasphemy against a deity and the most horrendous of demons the Evil One (human imagination) has ever created.  A person who is different is to be hated, feared, shamed and made valueless.  The fear of diversity fuels minds to pull away from others, and to protect themselves by taking on feelings of superiority and exclusiveness above the different  person.  For the most part people with those feelings are good people in many many ways, but the fear and false god of superiority they have created masks that goodness terribly.

At Pride events such as the one I was at, the diversity is so intense and so visible that after a moment or two the differences become the sameness of those who participate in them.  We celebrate our differences to achieve our sameness and oneness by mentally stripping off the visual differences that at first overload us and can be dizzying to the point of a feeling of sickness for some who fit the pattern I described above.  With the sameness we become even more aware of the other person’s humanity, and begin to look for the good elements that we share and find them more readily.  Our conversations become how to help each other and take that helpfulness beyond those immediately with us.  We reassure ourselves of our value, and explore new ways to add to that value in all ways, not just for ourselves, but those of our fellow humans who fear us and thus hide themselves deeper and deeper from the good that we could share fully.

The LGBTQIA**** margin is not the only place where this can be present.  The reason for other Pride events such as cultural gatherings of people “othered” and devalued, or even those of persons with what are declared to be disabilities, or mental diversity do the same thing, and people of different margins, as well as those who consider themselves “mainstream” are invited to submerge themselves in those groups by the same process of celebrating the diversity that will create the sameness of humanity.

One group though who has suggested that it hold massive “Pride” events does not suggest their pride to be a celebration of diversity within that group, but rather enforced rigidity of an imagined sameness for only that group.  Where that has been tried in recent months, there has been universal tragedy in many ways, the least of which has been murder.  A celebration of false arrogance and even more false superiority is a hell on earth, and not a thing of pride, only of tears that they are afraid to show.

I could have been in this last group believing it’s agenda and set of beliefs, but I was not allowed to be there because of something strange and wonderful  in me that I did not accept about my life for over 50 years until it was celebrate or die with my Gender Dysphoria.  Today it is so “ordinary” for me to see inside of the differences in the outsides of people that I forget the lesson I relearned this past week.

Pride and Peace be in your lives.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 152 Guests (See full list)

• Sorourke
    • VickySGV
    • SamC
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • DeeDee
    • RaineOnYourParade
    • Susie
    • awkward-yet-sweet
    • Vockica
    • Jet McCartney
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

ArtavikenGenderflui
    Newest Member
    ArtavikenGenderflui

1. afraid of self
      afraid of self
    2. Chaidoesart
      Chaidoesart
      (14 years old)
    3. Faith57
      Faith57
    4. Joyce Ann
      Joyce Ann
      (70 years old)
    5. Kelly21121
      Kelly21121
      (56 years old)
    • Abigail Genevieve
      I am an evangelical  I am also transgender.  This is an issue. I have read up on it.  I am not an expert, but I have done a lot of reading.   One thing I do not get about people who take that position is that evangelicals are all about salvation by faith alone by Christ alone by grace alone - unless you are transgender.  Then you cannot be saved, these say, unless you do the work of un-transgendering yourself.  Which is, practically, impossible.  I have read the "solutions" and I don't buy them, obviously, because they do not work.    In evangelicalism salvation is by faith alone, Christ alone, grace alone, without any merit of our own.  That means, to an evangelical, we come to Christ as we are,  in the words of a glorious hymn,   1 Just as I am, without one plea, but that thy blood was shed for me, and that thou bidd'st me come to thee, O Lamb of God, I come, I come.   2 Just as I am, and waiting not to rid my soul of one dark blot, to thee, whose blood can cleanse each spot, O Lamb of God, I come, I come.   3 Just as I am, though tossed about with many a conflict, many a doubt, fightings and fears within, without, O Lamb of God, I come, I come.   4 Just as I am, thou wilt receive, wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve; because thy promise I believe, O Lamb of God, I come, I come.   We do not clean ourselves up BEFORE we come to Christ.  We let Him clean us up AFTER we come to Him.    Those who insist that transgender people cannot be saved are actually preaching another Gospel, a Gospel of works, and have wandered away from the glorious Gospel into works.  That is strong but true.   Struggling with legalism and grace, I have found more of God's mercy and grace available to me because I struggle with being transgender and seeking His resolution of it.  Which, not having the struggle, I would not have needed to seek Him earnestly on this.     
    • Jet McCartney
      Eventually, (especially if you start T,) things will even out. The excitement you feel is from everything being so new. Finally knowing yourself and having others recognise you can be thrilling. However, because it is your natural state of being, eventually that wears off. There's nothing exciting about it anymore because it's "just you." (Which is a perfect thing to be!) This, however, can lead to disappointment. Trust me when I say however, that that disappointment and jarring reaction to wrong pronouns will go away, and you'll once again feel comfortable in yourself.
    • Ashley0616
      I love long hair. I'm wanting my hair to touch the floor. I guess we shall see how long it can get.
    • Ashley0616
    • Ivy
      I wear a wig most of the time.  But I can get by with my natural (shoulder length) hair if I wear a hat or something to cover the mostly empty top. Unfortunately that train has left the station, sigh.
    • Ashley0616
      Normal is a word in the dictionary and a setting on washing machine. 
    • Ashley0616
      Spending time with my kids amazing!
    • Ashley0616
    • Ivy
      Guess I can check all the boxes
    • Ivy
      I mean, we're trying !  Just have to be a Southern Girl for now.
    • Ivy
      Oddly enough, just this weekend I read some of my poetry at a local event.  In this case it was a Pride group so I didn't have a particular advantage.  But I have read in more inclusive (of cis people) situations, and been fairly well received.  Let's face it, cis people do deserve an equal chance.   I suppose this might be a problem in the future.
    • Ivy
      Of course we do.  The few friends I do have are almost exclusively cis or trans women. I think I could have a relationship with a man, but he would be kinda "other" to me.  Could be interesting though. I never have understood guys - even when I was trying to be one.
    • Ashley0616
    • Ashley0616
    • Ashley0616
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.