• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

17 hours ago, Chiefsrule58 said:

Aylamac,

I would recommend that you do your research on the policies and procedures, don't expect anyone else to be the SME. I think it's important to know also that even though times have supposedly changed there are still those that you will find are not on your side and are less than helpful. Don't let them stand in your way, that's why it's so important to know the policies.

Not trying to be too negative because there are plenty of people who do and will support you. Also I caution you to be careful about to whom you come out and Do not do it until you are ready. I recommend that you check and see if there is an LGBT support group where you are stationed.  if so consider joining, it could prove to be a great resource for you. I wish you luck, take care.

Jamie

Thank you everyone for the advice and well wishes!

Jamie, you are definitely NOT being negative. That's another reason I'm still hesitant. I have no idea how anyone I work around will react. My so far stellar leadership may turn out to  be totally against all of this and make it difficult for me. Like you said, I need to be the SME. I'm already familiar with both the DoD and AF specific policies concerning the whole process, and have zero expectation that anybody else will know how to handle it.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jani

• Marcie Jensen

• Ivy

• Rianon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chiefsrule58's advice makes a lot of sense. It will be so important to understand where you stand when it comes to existing policies, both military and civilian. Also, to join a local LGBT group (if there's one). And go carefully when it comes to coming out: choose your confidants with great care. I recall having to help process the discharge of a young gay soldier when I was his unit commander. I was given to believe we were living in an "enlightened" battalion. All the young man and I had to do was complete the required paperwork, crossing the right t's and dotting the right i's. The processing went reasonably well, but this young soldier's life was made a living hell by everyone around him. So much for us being in an "enlightened" battalion! ––Riannon

• 4 months later...
On 12/15/2019 at 9:01 AM, Rachel76 said:

USMC 1994-1998 Hygiene Equipment Operator. Medical Discharge for shoulder. Never deployed to conflict but was in Atlanta on a mission for the 96 Olympics when bombing happened. 

Hey now! i too was in atlanta for the 96 Olympics, but was working as a stagehand for the union. in fact i built the tower where the bomb went off, and the ATT pavilion that it was supporting, i was supposed to be there that evening to pick up my paycheck, but was hanging with a pretty lady instead... lucky me!

I'm a veteran of the US Army's 1-1 Cav stationed in Germany 85-87, and was discharged on a medical under honoroable conditions due to an eye problem that i had had prior to enlisting but that had gotten worse.

3 hours ago, Andrea S said:

I'm a veteran of the US Army's 1-1 Cav stationed in Germany 85-87, and was discharged on a medical under honoroable conditions due to an eye problem that i had had prior to enlisting but that had gotten worse.

Cool. I was at Ramstein from 85 to 90 at HQ USAFE. Fond memories of volkswalking, Christmas festivals, gluhwein, skiing in Austria, jaeger shnitzel, the demise of the Berlin Wall,and many others!

Very cool. I was in Germany twice--the first time I was with 3/41 Infantry as a grunt. (Part of 2AD (fwd) and the second time was 85-88 in Munich with the 18th MIBN as an interrogator/case officer. 

Welcome Hannah Renee. Thank you for your service and sacrifice. Especially during the Vietnam era.

• 2 weeks later...

No. I never served.

Grandfather was in World War II and my mother entered the military in a minor capacity when she was younger. 

Hi @Hannah Renee, Until recently--roughly 2010 if memory serves me correctly--being gay, trans was grounds for immediate revocation of a security clearance. The argument for this ran something along the lines of "it makes the individual susceptible to being blackmailed for information by hostile powers." This same argument applied to alcoholism, gambling or seeing a psychiatrist/psychologist.  I held a Top Secret clearance with all sorts of alphabet soup stuff tacked on during this period, including time as a DoD civilian employee. And, while being gay or trans is supposedly not grounds for denying a clearance nowadays, old prejudices run deep... I've known far too many people who have served gallantly and with distinction who to this day are afraid to come out, admit to PTSD related issues and seek professional help for fear that their clearances will be revoked when their next review is scheduled. It's a sad situation.

As an E2, I already had my own office, computer, and file cabinets and stuff assigned to a clinic with 67thEvac, 7th MEDCOM on a chopper base in the middle of nowhere in Germany serving mostly 3rd ID from 92-94. I had no idea about Transgender and felt like I was living someone else's life. I figured that was probably the sweetest assignment I'd ever get as a medic, so it was either go to flight school or rotate out. I discharged. 

USNAVY Vietnam 1971-72 I joined the Navy to avoid being conscripted to USMC.  Nearly all my friends that were drafted and went to 'nam came home in a pine shipping container... Not proud of that supposed patriotic duty...

• 2 weeks later...

i served openly as a male to female transgender from 1992 to 1993 served in the navy as an aircrewman during desert storm. I was the first openly transgender for aircrew academy that graduated with gold aircrew wings.

the transition was not easy but i made it with support of my aircrew brothers who looked out for me and called me little sis.

that made me feel really good and accepted. at the time it was the policy of don't tell and don't ask.

• Forum Moderator
40 minutes ago, MISSLEGGS71 said:

i served openly as a male to female transgender from 1992 to 1993 served in the navy as an aircrewman during desert storm. I was the first openly transgender for aircrew academy that graduated with gold aircrew wings.

the transition was not easy but i made it with support of my aircrew brothers who looked out for me and called me little sis.

that made me feel really good and accepted. at the time it was the policy of don't tell and don't ask.

Welcome!  

Wow, you were a true pioneer!  I am so glad that it went well for you and that you had the support of your crew mates.

Regards,

Kathy

• 1 month later...

USAF: 1971 - 1980.

Basic, Lackland AFB, SAT.

Fuel School, Chanute AFB, Champaign/Urbana, IL 08-10, '71.

366 TFW, Supply Sq. POL. DaNang AB, RVN. 11/22/'71 - 09/15/'72. "BANG BANG DaNang, Clash of '72."

432 TRW, Udorn, Thailand. 09/18 - 12/72.

10 TRW, RAF Alconbury, Huntingdon, Hunts, England 73-77.

436 MAW, Dover AFB, DE 78-80.

"Kjiersten Said It."   <Kj>

• Forum Moderator

Welcome Kjiersten and thanks for your service.  

In late '75 after my boot camp experience at Great Lakes, IL I took the train to Chanute AFB to meet a buddy from back home who was there for school.  He snuck me into his barracks for the night and we drove home the following day.  Good times. 

16 minutes ago, Jani said:

Welcome Kjiersten and thanks for your service.  

In late '75 after my boot camp experience at Great Lakes, IL I took the train to Chanute AFB to meet a buddy from back home who was there for school.  He snuck me into his barracks for the night and we drove home the following day.  Good times. 

Well, that story begs a few questions I shouldn't ask . . . so I won't.

We need to remember those Good Times.

Welcome @KjierstenThanks for your sacrifice. I missed Vietnam by less than a year, but I will always remember with pride the local chapter of the Vietnam Veterans who welcomed my unit home from Desert Storm. We were no heroes--an Intel unit than ran the theater level POW cages. That didn't matter them. When we deplaned they were standing there, in the remnants of their uniforms, at attention and saluting us. I cried because who were we to be saluted by those genuine heroes who had sacrificed so much: I learned something from that which I hammered home to my subordinates throughout the remainder of my 24 years. 

I was once asked by my daughter when she was about three, "were you a hero?" Thinking back to that moment after Desert Storm, I told her, "no, Punkin. But I followed in the footsteps of those who were."

Thank you again.

I was in the US Coast Guard from 2004 to 2015. I have very mixed feelings about it if I'm being honest. It's nice to see other people's experiences in this thread. 

16 minutes ago, pandyjak said:

I have very mixed feelings about it if I'm being honest.

I was drafted in '70.  I understand mixed feelings.  But in retrospect, I am glad to have served.  I do see it as one of the duties of a citizen when necessary.  

I get annoyed when my gender is questioned by politicians who never served.

And then, the VA has been a good thing for me.

Hello All,

For me, USAF enlistee in 1971 when I was just 17.   I still remember my AFSC (30534) Ground Radio Equipment Repairman.   This was the Vietnam Era and I was stationed after training in my home state.  (That did not bode well for my military career!  Way too much temptation to go off base for trips home, old friends, and the civilian lifestyle.).  Another issue then was experiencing the contempt that the general public seemed to have for military “short hairs”.  Our country’s involvement in Vietnam being the principal reason.    These days the support of the military isn’t what it was then.   Instead of praise and thankfulness from fellow citizens, especially young adults, I typically received the middle finger.    Not exactly a confidence builder for the young man I was then.    Nevertheless, I feel fondness for the memory and experience. 

Jerri-Michelle

• Forum Moderator

Welcome aboard Michelle and thanks for doing your part.  It was difficult back then.

Jani