• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Good Idea to Join??

Hello,

I wanted to ask some advice from those of you who have already served. I’m still pre transition, and possibly have some depression issues (so says my therapist). I’ve thought of joining the Military (hopefully Air Force) for a very long time, but I am not sure of going in now with this current administration. However, I am almost 23 and I feel if I don’t go now, I never will go. So I wanted to ask you all if you think joining the military right now is a good idea. I’d really appreciate any advice you might have. Thanks!

• Forum Moderator

I don't know what the upper age limits are now or what the actual climate is like for transgender service members.  You might speak with a recruiter.  Understand they might be a bit aggressive to sign you as they need numbers.  If you know anyone in the AF you might reach out to inquire.

Jani

I would be hesitant to recommend you joining. Having just got out, and the fear of being forcefully removed being a large portion of why I left. Nothing is set in stone for transgender service members. I keep up with a friend who's got a year left. She's doing well and her unit  has been accepting, but that can be wishy washy. They still allow treatment for GD, but, as far as I've heard exceptions to policy still aren't a thing. So you'll still be restricted when it comes to physical fitness, or grooming standards unless you have an understanding unit.

Personally, my biggest fear was that if I had reenlisted I would of got a rather large signing bonus, but if they start to discharge trans personnel there's no guarantee of how that's going to look yet. If they just revert to how things were before, I've heard it could be rough and I wasn't looking forward to possibly paying the gov't back any money, or risk losing any other of my benefits.

Ultimately, I don't think it's safe in the service yet. I don't necessarily mean from harassment or worse, though that could happen too, but I'm talking administratively. Though it's gone quite the problem hasn't been settled yet, and who knows when we will be able to serve with job security again. 

-Vaelyn

I was in the military in the 1990s and I see a lot of what the Trump administration doing as rolling the military back to how it was then. I would be very nervous about joining if I were you. I was in pre Sept11 and it was pretty easy to change your mind during training if you decided you made a big mistake, especially if it was LGBT related. I'm not sure it is still that way. Also, it's true that if you get a signing bonus and get out early for any reason, you have to repay it and the government will garnish wages to make sure they are paid back. That can be really disruptive to your life at your age. You still have a few years. I joined after college when I was 25 and there were plenty of other new recruits that age and older. I would hold off if I were you and see the direction of things after November. 

Good luck!