• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I am a mess

Evans

Hey. My name's Evan and I'm a soon to be 20 year old genderfluid (afab), but the older I get the more I seem to doubt the labels I have given myself.
I'm aware that only I can know for sure what I am and that relying on labels isn't always necessary, but they personally make me feel more comfortable. ☺️
I apologize for the length of this post, I just have so much in my mind and you are free to ignore parts of it if you want to!

I've been identifying as multiple androgynous identities during the years but I always round up back to the questions; should I transition, am I a boy, is this just another masculine phase or am I just running from my true identity with these gender non-conforming labels?
I've always liked boy stuff, most my friends have always been guys and I've truly felt like they thought of me as "one of the guys", which always made me happy. I remember in 7th grade, I was wearing my hood up and one of my classmates bumped into me from behind and said "sorry dude" but when I turned towards him he said "Oh it's you! I thought you were some guy for a second." and the thought of those words still make me feel elevated and good. All my clothes are from the men's section (besides my underwear, though I wish to switch to boxers once I move out on my own). About a week ago I cut my hair short, but still I feel like I need it shorter and more "boy like". Sometimes it just feels like no matter how much I look like a guy it'd never be "enough" if that makes any sense, like I could always look  just a little more male.

I have always had body dysphoria because of my weight (always been a chubby one) and when I was younger (14-15) I had really bad anxiety about my chest being ""too small"" for a girl (I was being picked on for not being very girly so I went from my bubbly tomboy self to a sad overly feminine dummy who avoided most masculine things), but I never picked up gender dysphoria before I was 16 (at least I think so). I'm usually doing okay unless I happen to look into a reflective surface when I'm out presenting myself as someone who looks male and then just have tits sticking out of my body, breaking the facade, or when I accidentally touch my chest. There has been times when I've been actually a little shocked, 'cause I was expecting my chest to be flat only to find out it's not. I'm thinking I'll try binding in the future and see how I like it.
I'm not sure how I feel about penises, they sort of make me extremely uncomfortable but sometimes I do feel like I'd enjoy having one. Other times thinking about it is just,,, really weird? I've tried using a socks to test out how it would feel to pack and I honestly can't say I didn't enjoy it to some degree, but I'd imagine using an actual packer would offer a much different experience.

Another thing that bothers me is my birth name. I've gone by 'Evan' for a while now with a couple of my closest friends but for the majority I'm still closeted, so naturally my birth name is used daily. However hearing it doesn't bother me that much?? It's seeing it written down that's the absolute worst and feels like I've just been punched in the face. Texts are especially bad, since I know it's referring directly to me. Legal documents are bearable for me tho for some reason. Is this normal for other non-cis people?

I dislike being called she/her. I don't like it when people refer to me as a lady or a daughter. My family has taken a liking to make comments how much of a woman I look like now and how my short hair makes me pretty. It's very alienating and awkward for me. Idk if I'd enjoy he/him much better, but I'd most certainly rather be called a son than a daughter.
Still, ifanyone questions me about my appearance and/or gender it makes me very anxious/nauseous and I get defensive and deny all of the accusations. Maybe I'm just not ready to be myself in front of others yet or I just haven't accepted myself fully. I'm not sure.

My relationships with men are also sort of weird. I envy people who identify as male, especially gay men... I think it might be because they get to date boys while still being boys I suppose. I'm bi-sexual and a few months back I developed a crush on one of my guy friends and he treated me very much like a girl (I wasn't out to him) and even though I liked him the situation was a bit uncomfortable for me, especially after he kissed me because it made me feel like "an adorbs smol gf whom he has to protect uwu uwu uwu " and I felt so disgusted by that I literally have not talked to him since. I know it's not right and not his fault and it's so saddening since he was one of my only two irl friends and we had known each other for a long time. I wish to reconnect with him sometime but for now I can't even think about him without feeling almost humiliated, sadly.

Despite all of these things though, I do still like feminine things and I do think if I was more confident I could wear a dress/skirt once every blue moon, which makes everything ever so slightly more confusing for me. I have no idea if my masculinity and need to be less like a girl is only my gender sliding on the spectrum or me desperately trying to ignore parts of my identity. Sometimes I hate my body and gender, sometimes I just don't think about it, all I know is that most of the time I don't feel like a woman at all.

I know I must've missed something, but I believe this post is long enough already. Thank you for reading and any thoughts would be appreciated. I hope you are safe and have a lovely day/evening! ?

These things are hard. Sometimes I wish it was just more cut and dry. Sorry I can't be of much help since I am going through the same struggles as a biological boy. I like some boy things but also some girl things. I've been called so many names for not wanting to do "guy stuff", but it just doesn't interest me. I've always been more gentle and tender-hearted and not so macho.

All I can say is, be honest with yourself and be yourself no matter what people say. Finding a good therapist trained to help with these specific issues might be beneficial for you.

Hugs,

Avra

• Forum Moderator

Hello Evan and welcome to the forum.  Your post isn't too long as its enough to tell us your story.  You have a lot of questions to be addressed which I'm sure you will.  Being honest with ourselves is an important step in our own growth.  Being gender fluid, going androgynous in presentation would be a good start.  You can mix and match items as they suit you for the day!   You can certainly go with a shorter hair style as its not unheard of.  

You have to decide how your family would react to news if you told them you were gender fluid.  Make sure you have some examples to offer so they can grasp what you are saying.  It can be a difficult concept for cis people to understand at times.

Keep thinking and writing.  We're here to read and offer support.

Jani  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 120 Guests (See full list)

• MaeBe
    • cela_tracy
    • AllieJ
    • Adrianna Danielle
    • Siobhan F
    • KymmieL
    • Mars Hiroshi
    • Ivy
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Emily Chen
    Newest Member
    Emily Chen

1. April Marie
      April Marie
    2. daniela...
      daniela...
      (59 years old)
    3. Emily May
      Emily May
    4. Felixr
      Felixr
      (20 years old)
    5. Leann
      Leann
      (56 years old)
    • MaeBe
      Manufacturing jobs have increased by nearly 800k since Biden’s inauguration. Deficits and debt are up as well, which water down some of the positive metrics.  Given the fact we were coming out of a pandemic and then into a global economy affected by a Russian aggression and then a war in the Middle East, things wouldn’t be ideal. But we’re not on a gold standard anymore. Government budgets aren’t household budgets. Inflation was up but is coming down, which means that government spending isn’t uncontrolled.  Honest news media? Which news are we referring to? I recommend looking into Ground.news and their blind spot feature. It will show you, regardless of your leanings, what you’re not seeing in your typically consumed news.    MAGA is not about making America great again or otherwise. It’s a marketing cult for populist conservatism, aka the cult of Trump. America being great is not bad or a bad idea, but its choice as the moniker of the campaign is not-so-subtle political marketing. By default, no one wants to argue against the idea, however it creates a dichotomy where “the other side must not want (or is actively trying to destroy) it”. It’s an empty slogan because America was no greater during the Trump years and you can logically argue our global cache was diminished during his term, which was marked by sentiment of the US being a unilateral agitator. 
    • missyjo
      smiles I think I need to help him find a way to simply love others, regardless of identifying with them or understanding their journey..but I thought I recall stories of Jesus being asked which of 10 laws were greatest..n the answer being 1. God us God n have no other gods you worship..asking forgiveness to friends who practice religions with polydieties..but I think catholic say 1 god..n the 2nd rule is almost as important..love each other as I have loved you   maybe if I can focus him on we all believe God wants us to love n help each..maybe he'll forget the footnote he seems to be inserting, unless they are lgbt..then they go to hell...nerd   sorry probably too politically charged..delete if so with my apologies  hugs to all who want them
    • Mars Hiroshi
      So, I don't know what this is called, but it's kind of like when you see the boob bridging to the collarbone. I hate it. You can totally see I have a chest. How do I fix it and what is it called?   (I'm wearing an old gc2b binder I got from someone at school that is not my specific sizing, but it's all I can work with)
    • Ivy
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2024/04/29/1247896150/transgender-health-insurance-west-virginia-north-carolina-appeals-court     Good news, y'all.  Better get those procedures and meds down before SCOTUS takes it away again, or the R's regain power in D.C.   Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      Of course, we all wish you the best of luck.  But please don't assume that a negative first reaction will be the one that sticks.  It takes time, communication and lots of love.   Carolyn Marie
    • Abigail Genevieve
      We need to learn to talk to each other again.  This place is important that way.   Abby
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Nationally, sure.  But where I live, there aren't two large segments.  There's a majority, and a few who just don't fit and probably ought to move out.  I was in a nearby city a few days back, and I saw a billboard for the "Freedom From Religion" foundation.  That's acceptable there.  Here... folks would be making a bonfire.    I don't really see how the different sides CAN get along.  I see what goes on in California, and its like watching news from some alien planet.  It has very little to do with LGBTQ+ issues, really.  I can't live their way, I won't live their way, and I have no desire to compromise at all in that direction.  I'd prefer to be neighbors in separate nations, and I think folks would get along better that way.  I firmly believe the anti-trans stuff wouldn't exist here if we had a new republic of the Center-South area.  Even a micro-state of just my county and a couple others would be fine.    I get the giggles when folks think that Trump is somehow "far right."  Around here, he's a barely-acceptable centrist.  And by the standards of 100 years ago, its true.
    • Ivy
      I don't think the Dems have a corner on division.  I do try to kinda keep up with the antics on Fox for 5h1+s and giggles. We have two large segments of the population, living in their own bubbles, with completely opposite views of our society, who never talk to each other, only at each other. People don't even want to get along with each other. We're tearing ourselves apart from the inside, while the rest of the world just sits back and watches.
    • Sorourke
      Back again now it’s inevitable I must tell my wife for me to be happy and authentic wish me luck
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Trying to decide if I am one.  Hmmm.  It depends on the definition.  The Democrats' definition dehumanizes them, whatever they are.   I would like to see a restoration of respect for America around the world, one Obama threw away.  I would like to see factories reopen whose jobs went overseas because people like BIden wrote legislation to create a tax structure than encouraged that.  I would like to see an end to the division that Biden and Obama cause and exploit for cynical political purposes.  I would like people to be able to express themselves without fear.  I would like honest news media.  I would llike to see the federal government not push us recklessly into debt.   If that makes me MAGA, I guess I am. 
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      You've never encountered the Oklahoma State Troopers, then.... it isn't far from reality.  I swear they've got half an army of cops just sitting around.  On I-40, they've got big concrete pads where they sit in the middle of the highway, sometimes a row of 8 cars in one spot.  I guess they've got money to burn....
    • Abigail Genevieve
      I fenced my posting of the link.  Yep.
    • VickySGV
      Good to hear about that case, but I believe Oklahoma is in the 11th Circuit COA region along with Texas which is going to find some way to nullify this decision as far as the Oklahoma law goes, just because - - - -
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      That's a Circuit (Circus) court ruling.  Which is essentially temporary.  Most everything right now is temporary, as the Supreme Court hasn't gotten around to dealing with all the various trans-related issues from the last few years.  I really, really wish they would just bite the bullet and do their thing.  It would save us from the constant tug-of-war. "The sky is falling!".... "No it isn't.".... "But there's crap coming down."....."It landed east of here"  Whether it ends up being good or bad, I wish they'd just lance the boil and let us either have a tyranny we can fight against or a republic we don't mind living in.  Mediocrity is irritating.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.