• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Camping Trip

Guest Angelgrlsue

Guest Angelgrlsue

I just got back from a camping trip with my 14 year old son and his scout troop. OMG!! I felt so out of place there. Had to put on the whole act of being male and macho. I mean we are talking all guys at this camp trip, infact the entire campground was all male from what I could tell. The bright side of it though is that I was able to spend some good quality time with my son alone. Setting up the tent was interesting, Lol. I'm blind for those of you that do not know already and so used alot of my other senses on this trip. I kept asking my son if there was poison oak near our tent site while I was clearing the area with my hands, hmmmm, why are my hands so swelled up like balloons and itching like crazy? Lol. Just kidding. It was fun camping with my son. Now if it was girl scouts I would feel right at home. :-)

Hey, Suzie!

I am so glad that you had a good time and that you have finally decided to let everybody here now about your vision problem - you have no idea how hard it is for me to keep a secret for anybody when I know that others would love to help.

I know how frustrating limited vision can be, as I told you my mother has a similar problem - I can transition and if I show up in a dress all I have to do is stand more than four feet away and she'll never know.

Seriously, I am glad that you finally feel that comfortable with all of the people here.

Love ya and Happy Mothers Day - yesterday - better late than never.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest joe0117

I'm glad you had a good time with your son. It was nice of you to go with him even though it made you uncomfortable. I am sorry you were uncomfortable. I'm sure your son will always remember this trip. I hope you did avoid the poison oak - that would bring uncomfortable to a whole new level.

Joe

Guest Elizabeth K

I just want to add to Sally's comments that it is a wonder to know you. Transgender is like anything mainstream, and there are all the people in the world, all conditions, and it is a great thing to have your input on the unique experiences you have as a sight-challanged person (see how I snuck that in?)

Seriously, my grandfather was totally blind, and my Aunt B worked for the State Commision for the Blind - so I was exposed to the special courage it takes to maintain yourself in a sighted world - BUT add to it the (whew) complications of being gender dysphoric, and there is a brave soul. Unfortunately, like everyone else, what choice do we have? And with your son - A JOY! Oh I know it was a great time - had to be! My son is now age 29. I MISS the little sucker (he is bigger than me now). Wow - time disappears...

So glad to say hello to you and I am trying to remember ANYTHING about the Girl Scouts. Nope, when I was in the Boy Scouts, the kids talked about girls a lot, not knowing there was one sitting right there in the tent with them - ha! I did earn my sewing merit badge first, then coin collecting. HA! Don't have my coins anymore but the sewing comes in really handy...hee hee.

Lizzy