• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Shoes

Guest Jenny

Laura- Can we have a link on the main menu for shopping alone, I had trouble drilling through all the menus to find it.

So to the point; should a girl like me at my height (6'2" maybe 3") ever wear heels. The only reason I ask is:

1. There seems to be a huge amount of shoes with heels and not very many without, and the ones without don't provide much variety for choice; and

2. In light of the fact that there isn't much choice in the flats; some of the ones with heels are just so nice.

Ideas and opinions please?

Guest Lethalia

Hey there, Jenny. OwUB? IBOK today.

You're right about the large selection of shoes with heels and lack thereof without heels (like flats). I had a girlfriend of four years that was six foot even… barefoot. She mostly wore two and a half and three-inch heels. And the woman for whom I worked at the time was six foot two (barefoot) and she wore four-inch heels. And a friend of mine at the time was six foot six (barefoot). She wore two and a half inch heels. The three girls I mentioned were cisgender females (GG/FTF... shorter to write). I've known a bunch of six foot plus FTF girls and almost all of them wore heels. I am six foot even and I mostly wear three-inch open-toe wedge shoes. I also have four and six inch heels, which I do wear sometimes. And you're right; there are a lot of really adorable heels out there. I say go for it. But six-inch heels do attract a lot of attention. And most girls find them difficult to walk in after awhile. Me, no problem. I can run, race up and down stairs, and fly in them… but that's me. Wait, I don't think I can fly in them. Or in any shoes. Come to think of it, I can't fly at all. Okay, forget the flying part. I'm a size ten and a half wide or size eleven. But elevens are just a little long on me. I don't know if you have them there, but I love Payless Shoes. The prices are good and they have lots of sales. That's why I hate going into the place… I always start buying and can't stop. Yeah, I have shoes. I like to try the shoes on before I buy. I've learned to tell, from experience, which ones I'm actually going to be able to walk in. Some fit, but start hurting (like rubbing) very quickly. Any sandal with something between my toes never fits right… way off center. Kitten heels are always a good fit on me (and I love them)… but I don't wear them much anymore. I want another pair of Mary Janes badly. But I'm having trouble finding some. I'm also looking for a blue Alice In Wonderland type dress to replace I one my mother threw away when I was eleven. I would like blue, but black or even white is acceptable. I can't wear the pointed toes shoes. Not at all. They hurt and look terrible on me. One of my little sisters wears them all the time. Come to think of it, I mostly wear my black English riding boots. The boots go well with my Goth style. Plus the heels are lower. "And that's a good thing." The women's boots are the same as men but the sizing numbers are different. Hey, if you ever go with the riding boots, don't get the wooden insoles: They wear out faster. I used to have a really nice pair of women's boots that actually fit my calf, but I lost them when I got jumped by nine guys. Actually, I lost everything I was wearing that night. Because I so thin, women's boots are usually too large around the calf. Doh! I used to have a pair of black leather boots that came up to the top of my thigh, but I lost those in a separation. I always lose most of my stuff in separations. I you ever decide to get a pair of boots like that, let me know and I'll give you a couple of tips. Be warned though, they are pricey. You know, about wearing heels… I'd personally do as I pleased. Wait, I do! Okay, that's all I can think of for right now. Keep me posted (hahaha) on the shoe front.

Walking with Nancy…

Isabella Lethalia Innocenzi

Thanks I appreciate that. Great advice. Man do I have a lot of questions about fashion, and they all want to come out at the same time, like me, ha. All in good time I suppose. Here's another; I suppose over the years of transition, your body changes shapes and sizes several times, fashion and clothing must be so hard on the budget?

I saw a "What not to wear" where one of them said that most women nowadays should buy something they like oversized and then get it tailored to fit, that way it looks good and actually fits. I can see that in being so true for me as well as most TS women as well.

Guest Katie-Louise

I'm an high heel girl I just love and adore high heels but u can get shoes which have a 2 inch or even a 1 inch heel. I know plenty of girls that are 6"-6"2 and they wear heels, I suppose it doesn't matter how tall you are if you find them comfortable and u like wearing them then wear them. Theres a lovely selection of high heels but no heels are really hard to find. lots of love, katie louise

xxxxxx

Hi Jenny:

One of the big problems can be that your waist/hips do not correspond to any women's size.

I'm a 32" waist (which is pretty good for a man, but lousy for a woman) and a 38" hip.

A 32" waist puts me in a size 18 that has a corresponding 42" hip.

I don't think so.

Z.

I have already given in to the idea that I will getting my clothes tailored for the rest of my life. We'll see how it goes for the first while anyway. The other thing I can imagine is the fact that, taking a general timeline, if transition takes two years, your body would be constantly changing and your going to have to constantly buy clothes, which is not a bad thing, but it's hard on the budget and if you fall in love with the several perfect outfits!

• 4 months later...

im 15 and 5"11, and have always been told that wearing heels is acceptable so long as you are confident. also, one of my dads exgirlfriends was 6"3 with heels on, so dont stress about it. just walk tall and its fine.

oh, and if there are any transwomen in the uk, www.tallgirls.co.uk does great shoes and clothes in big sizes. i used to buy my clothes and shoes from there.

Guest savagedm

I would not stress it. Taller girls tend to intimidate (as well as be very attractive) to most people. Use anything you have that sets you apart from the crowd do your fullest advantage. :) Personally I am 6'1" and wear a size 11 mens (so I think it's like what 12 or 12w female?) and I cannot wait to wear heels once I go full time within the next yearish.

Guest Veronicalynn

Hi everybody,

I am about 5'11 to 6' and wear a size 12.5 to 13 (womens) depending on the style and the brand name of the shoe. I am finding at times that the 13 is a little big and the 12 is a little small. Is this common?

Hugs everybody,

Veronicalynn :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shanetastic

I'm 6 foot and wear a size 10 in womens. I'm still not sure about the whole heel deal. I figure 6' is tall enough I'll stick with flats :P But of course, I think that's a courage and self conscious issue right now. If you can pull it off, by all means go for it I say.

• 1 month later...
Guest Andrea-M

I'm 5'8" and wear 3" and 4" heels knee boots/ ankle boots and pumps size 9Uk (10/10.5US in think) anyway makes me 6" in my best heels and i see plenty of cisgender women at my height and quite a few taller..... so go for it.... nothing like heels , but be confident and walk from the hip.

• 1 month later...
Guest Sheila

hi jenny,

i'm glad i ran across your post. here's my problem. i lost my leg in an accident and can't wear heels anymore because my prothesis has a foot that stays flat, unmovable. :( believe me i'm going to miss wearing heels. i've already been searching for some feminine flats and am coming up empty handed. not much of a selection out there. i'm 5' 71/2", with mens size 10 1/2 feet. and i just think my feet are to big for a girl. but that's the least of my problems right now. would love any advice on where to shop for womens flats. getting back to your question jenny, in my opinion heels are feminine and look good on women, short or tall. go for it girl.

sheila