• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Wow! Bad News!

Guest Jeannine Bean

Guest Jeannine Bean

So last weekend I had a kidney stone. Passed it with a bit of blood and a bit of pain, nothing too bad (thanks, Water!).

I went in for a CAT scan to see if it was all gone and it was. They also discovered I have a dime sized calcification of my iliac aorta. I was flabbergasted! The doc called in another radiologist and we could easily trace the tube from my heart down my torso and into my belly area... where it was around 1/3 of the way occluded by calcium deposits. I think this means I have Heart Disease: The number one killer of everyone.

No family history. I'm 29 and weigh 168 lbs at 6'1". I used to eat exceedingly well, now since moving to Taiwan I only eat pretty well (Sometimes I eat the fried foods for breakfast, but usually I eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, fish soup, tofu, etc... Pork is big in this country but I try to get it boiled or grilled when I eat it). I don't exercise a ton, but I teach kids and move around a lot, and I walk places a lot too. I hardly have a "sedentary lifestyle."

I'm going in next Thursday for testing by a cardiologist. I'm really scared. I had just started eating a lot more calories and a vitamin supplement and feeling better about dealing with my life. The last couple of weeks have felt like a gradual upswing from the depression I was feeling... Now this? I scheduled an appointment with a counselor too. I feel worried.. I think anyone would be worried in my situation. I just keep hoping that nothing will kill me or interfere medically with my planned surgery in Thailand in a few years, LOL. I mean, none of us are getting out alive. We're all gonna die somehow, but I'd like a chance to answer a small child's prayers (my own, many years ago) before I go!

Anyways, sniffle sniffle. I'll cut it out, but please just send some positive energy my way that my heart will get better.

[:-) Thanks (-:]

--Jeannine

Oh Jeannine,

I am so sorry to hear about your problem, but don't get too down so quickly, there is so much more that can be done for heart diseases now than just a few years ago.

It may sound silly but it has been proven that faith and a good sense of humor help the healing processes - do what your doctors advice and always believe that everything will work out and be happy, secure in that knowledge and you will heal faster.

I will give you a great piece of advice from my old family doctor back in the early 60s - he had delivered me, my older sister and my mother so he retired pretty soon after this - after telling me at the age of about 12 that I had all of the signs that I had inherited the family's arthritis he said, "Cheer up! The best way to live a long life is to get a chronic disease and take care of it."

So this can turn out very well - to the best of my knowledge he only made one medical mistake in over 60 years - he pronounced me to be male!

Not a bad record - take his advice and loook on the upside.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Donna Jean

Jeannine....

Oh. my, Sweetheart......

Well, I'll definitely send some positive energy your way! Doing it right now! I hope that it all turns out good for you and I understand about you need to get on with your life as your true self. Wishing you all the best, Hon...

I've been to Taipei (SP?) on 4-5 occasions and I loved it there. So you have a beautiful climate to be in .....

I'm hoping you don't be too worried about the cardioligist visit...don't worry...they will get you all cleared up.....OK?

{{{{BIGG HUGG}}}}

Donna Jean

Guest Ashlee

Jeannine,

The great thing is that they caught it now. And now is the time to listen to the doctors and do what you need to do to control it.

There are so many things you can do to combat heart disease, and they will guide you to doing what is best for you.

Another big {{{{{HUG}}}}}

Ashlee

Guest Evan_J

I gotta go wtih Sally on this one, don't go gettin down ahead of time. I don't know a lot about medicine in Taiwan, but I'm imagining medical advancement is medical advancement? In which case removing the obstructions in arteries is LOADS different than it was a little while back. About a year and a half now, I had a caridac catheter -very much like what they use to actually remove build up in an artery minus the laser. They basically injected a wire in one side of my groin, ran it up that wishbone near where you've got some blockage, and down the other side. Was I scared? thinkin of someone monkeyin around in my artery? Heck yeah! But you know what? Compared to "how things once were" its way less dangerous and debilitating when they do these things. It will always be "big business" with anything to do with the heart. We respesct it. We take all things serious. However the likelihood of you being able to "carry on with your life" is much greater, I'd guess, than you think.

I had a heart attack in 2001, they put a stent in, lucky everything else was clear, i think my uncontrolled diabetes over the years caused it, i have permanent heart damage but not too serious. It's good they found this before you had a heart attack, they may put a stent in like they did me. This should not hinder your transition, it has not stopped mine in any way so far.

HUGS!

Paula

Guest Javey

I agree with Ashlee. Its good they caught it now. I also agree with Sally.

Personally, i think of life as a book. There are good chapters, not so good chapters, and then absolutely ridiculously positively INSANE chapters. I don't think many people are all that fond of the sad and crazy chapters. I know I'm not - But whats a good story without a little insanity? Things always work out one way or another for the best, its just not always clear at first. I'm sure there is some pot of gold waiting for you at the end of the dark scary ally way.

I'll definitely send some positive healing energy your way.

Get/feel better soon <333

Jeannine im sorry to hear about your heart condition

but like everyone is saying dont worry and stress about it

else it will make things worse, Stress/Worry = High Blood Pressure = Damage walls in Arteries = Blockage = Heart Attack!

so RELAX

Guest StrandedOutThere

Jeannine,

That's a major bummer! I'm sending positive energy your way, stat!

Like Sally said, there's a lot that can be done...and people who have chronic illnesses do tend to take better care of themselves. There's a lot to be hopeful about! Medical care has come a long way.

Chances are you probably didn't do much to directly cause the calcium deposits. From what I hear, it has a lot to do with heredity and genes, same with cholesterol. However, you CAN do a lot to change your outcome. Listen to what the doctors have to say and keep a positive attitude.

In the meantime, I'll keep sending out that positive energy.

Guest bronx

Jeannine,

first I want to tell you it's gonna be okay. I know what your going through. I have heart desease and I never had anything wrong with me ever. Mine I was born with and the doctors didn't know until I got sick. the good thing is that they found it and they can make it better. the medications that are available now are really good, you just have to do what they say.

You are young and will recover well. I will keep you in my prayers.

One thing that has been working for me is that i never let it get me down. I have some limitations but I never let them stop my spirit. I have continued with my transition and I'm getting stronger every day. Keep a positive attitude and never stop laughing it's worked for me.

Guest 1charlotte1

I will most definately be sending positive thing ur way! Ima light up a white candle and pray my way to u! A little Wicca for potency!!! And I will do my best

Luvs and extreme hug!!!!! Charlotte

Guest mia 1

Funny but with today's cardiologists and new med and relatively non invasive procedures,,,you'll probably live another 75 yrs....I had open heart surgery in 1937 and never looked back,,believe me my lifestyle is very active probably in the top !% of physical fitness...so I'll be thinking of you and also keep you in mind do the same for me...Love,,,Mia

Guest Jeannine Bean

Thanks to everyone for all your kindness. I'm feeling a bit better about it. It is the kind of news that really just caught me totally off guard and sent me reeling for a couple of days. I liked the comment by Sally about taking care of a chronic condition... it's true. I'm already healthier than most of my peers, so I'll probably end up being one of those uber healthy Mchealth freaks by the time this is done. All in all, maybe not so bad.

I had a heart attack in 2001, they put a stent in, lucky everything else was clear, i think my uncontrolled diabetes over the years caused it, i have permanent heart damage but not too serious. It's good they found this before you had a heart attack, they may put a stent in like they did me. This should not hinder your transition, it has not stopped mine in any way so far.

HUGS!

Paula

Wow Paul, I'm very happy to hear that your situation didn't hinder your transition and mine probably will not, either. That's quite encouraging to hear. Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I'll post again when I see the doc on Thursday the 21st.

--Jeannine

Guest Jeannine Bean

My Goodness, you people are all so sweet! I think this is hands down the nicest place on the whole internet!

Funny but with today's cardiologists and new med and relatively non invasive procedures,,,you'll probably live another 75 yrs....I had open heart surgery in 1937 and never looked back,,believe me my lifestyle is very active probably in the top !% of physical fitness...so I'll be thinking of you and also keep you in mind do the same for me...Love,,,Mia

That's really encouraging to hear. I think if they need to get rid of it then they'll run a tube up my leg like Evan said, which seems to be a relatively low-risk procedure.

And yea, the hospitals in Taiwan are as good as in the U.S.

So, back to the important stuff!

--Jeannine