• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Have Trans Will Travel...

Guest Zenda

Guest Zenda

Kia Ora,

Some of us have been fortunate enough to fulfill our dreams of travelling to exotic places and experiencing the wonders of this world...Travelling for me was a way to help free my mind of dysphoria-my mind was filled with new experiences-which when I look back have greatly enriched my life...

I have been fortunate to experience many wonders of this world-my travels started when I was 16, leaving the UK for Australia - Here's a little of what I have experienced over the years whilst travelling...

TAIPUSAN

:rolleyes:It’s strange what you don’t forget; in the early nineteen eighties my now ex and I traveled overland from Australia to Europe, we had the good fortune to visit the island of Pangkor which is located in the southern region of the Malay peninsula . Six weeks into our trip our bodies were well adapted to the natural sauna effect of the orient clothing daily socked in perspiration had become part of the norm and our minds like sponges continually absorbed the incredible sights, sounds and smells that Asia had to offer. But nothing could have prepared us for what we were about to experience-we had stumbled onto the right island at the right time...The only foreign tourists on the island were a few young budget backpackers...

Malaysia is multicultural ie, the country's made up of ethnic Malays, Chinese and Indians.

Thaipusam is a Hindu festival where devotees carry out acts of penance in fulfillment of vows made to the deity Lord Muruga. It was a mind blowing experience-men, women and small children had abstained from eating for a few days then as each one was blessed by the priest they fell into a deep trance like state, other family members gathered around them with sharp metal hooks which they pierce through the skin of their entranced loved ones, they then produced thin metal spikes and rods which were pushed through the flesh of the cheeks some of the rods used were as long as two meters.

The most incredible thing was they felt no pain and the skin piercing drew no blood They may not have felt the pain as the metal pierced their skin but the minds of my ex and I had no choice but to absorb what we saw and what they should have felt. The devotees [some with chariots attached to the hooks in their back] formed a procession and slowly walked through the town to the Hindu temple. A few days later we met some who had taken part, automatically our eyes scanned their cheeks and exposed skin for signs of wounds or scaring amazingly none could be found. As I sit and write this the memories come flooding back-the oriental sauna that had been home for 18 months, the sights, sounds, smells, and the faces of the Asian people with a genuine smile on each, plus the pain my mind conjures up as the imaginary metal hooks, spikes and rods pieced my flesh. It’s strange what you don’t forget!

For many people here-Their first overseas experience will no doubt be exotic Thailand [for surgery], if so and if you can afford it, spend sometime obsorbing the sights, sounds and smells before your surgery- meet the locals enjoy the experience...

Now here's the question to set some minds in motion - where would you like to go? and if you have already had the good fortune to travel what wonderful memories do you have? B)

Metta Jendar :)

Guest Neuro

I went to Maryland and West Virginia with my family when I was younger! Ocean City and the Museum of Natural History were AMAZING.

However, I want to move to Japan for about a year; to make a little living as a male host and study manga/doujinshi. Make some friends, see the sights, see the Hiroshima memorial and hit Akihabara... travel is a great subject to bring up, it really tells you a lot about a person, hm?

A great thing about Japan: I would be considered very tall, according to my teacher!! XD

He has said he would support me visiting the country, our town has a great Sister City program.

Another country I'd love to see: Canada, because one of my best internet friends lives there. c: I want to try and track down the white moose she claimed to haunt her backyard!! XD (She had to have been kidding, right??)

Guest Alyssa Leigh

There are many places I would like to see but if I had to choose I would have to say it would be to France. I would like to learn about their way of making desserts, confections, and cultural dishes that are unique to them. The rest of the places I would love to see include the Carribeans and Hawaii.

Alyssa

Guest Evan_J

Viva la France Alyssa you made me hungry just thinking about it. Yummo.

Hmmm, I have a couple of favorites. Domesticly, I loved New Orleans. It was pre Katrina on every instance I was there though and I often wonder if many of those places still exist! In the Caribean, I like Puerto Rico. Beautiful country (the natural formations) and wonderful history. Culturally, I enjoyed the people, other travelers (seemed to meet a lot of Argentinians on my trip) and food (some of which was Cuban, nice!) I'm hopin I get to see more islands (I'm all about the heat) Carribean, Pacific Coast and South Pacific.

Guest Sarah Marie

If I had the money it would take, right now I would travel to India for six months to a year. While there, I would work closely with an Ayurvedic practitioner to turn my health around while intensely studying Buddhism. Then I would love to head home via Italy (for the architecture) and France, my paternal homeland.

One domestic trip via Greyhound that I am thinking about for next spring would take me through nine (technically ten) states in three and a half weeks. The highlights would be a weekend in San Francisco, a chance to visit my California aunt in southern Californis, a four day layover (by design) in Tucson, a brief visit to Denver, where my dad's mom grew up, and a weekend in Spokane, Washington.

Guest Zenda

Kia Ora,

:rolleyes: I travel overseas on business once or twice a month-well I live on an island and go over Auckland 19 kms away by ferry :lol:

Jokes aside, the island where I live is beautiful - take a look... http://www.waiheke.co.nz/tour2/index.php Waiheke in Maori roughly translated means Dripping Water [Wai=water]

I hope you enjoy the trip to my island...

However The Land Of The Rising Sun=Nipon -that's where I want to go next...To visit my son, so I have to get my A into G and get some money together...

Guest Soph

I was going to say France too.

Seems like a few people beat me there ;-;

I want to see the sights, absorb the culture (and surely my share of cuisine), go down to Nice and soak up the sun.

Closest I've been to France is Quebec... in the winter. I'm sure it doesn't compare to south France.

There is a quiet little port on the South of France halfway between Nice and Monte Carlo - it is called Villefranche (not even close on the spelling) but you get the idea - cruise ships drop anchor and tender you to the docks - very quaint sidewalk bistros along the steep climb to the railroad station.

I had a very nice meal looking over the Mediterranean, nestled between the cliffs and just below the Grande Cornish.

I went to both Monte Carlo and Nice, but I always remember the little bistro with the beautiful waitress who did not speak one word of English - the sun and the breeze and the smiles of the people in this tiny village, so different from those in the cities.

There are a few places that I have never been

and so many that I long to visit once again,

but travel to me now is just a memory or a dream

and places I can only visit in my sleep it would seem.

I enjoyed sitting on a cliff overlooking the sea in Hawaii, on Kauai there is a lot less traffic and tourism but it has been taken over by us as well so I probably can't find a quiet spot on a cliff anymore.

Love ya,

sally

Guest Elizabeth K

Ft. Worth, Texas - I have a girlfriend there

I also hear Southeastern Ohio is nice! Or Boulder, Colorado.

Once you have lived in New Orleans... well...

Oh yes, also Europe, Asia, Africa, Middle East, Middle East, Far East, Austrailia and the Island Nations, and maybe even Iceland, Greenland, Artic and Antartic. I want to walk on the the moon! I doubt they will have Mars habitable before I die. Well maybe just North, Central and South America are the only oes in my reach...

But to tell the truth? The only other country I have been to is Mexico, and then only 2 miles into it at the border. I have never been to Canada. Heck I have never been to New York City!

Not destinied to be a world traveler.

But I have walked 25% of the Appilachian Trail and walked to view Holy Cross Mountain in Colorado. I have been at the top of South Rim in Big Bend National Park, and I have traveled the stars in my telescope (constellations are my joy!) And I know every antique store location in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama - most in east Tennessee and western part of North Carolina. I have visited every Southern State except Maryland, and every Southwesteren State except Utah. I have seen the Pacific, the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico.

But I stay away from Yankees and those who hate the South. But youse guys, come on down and bring your credit cards! We loves you all here!

hee hee

Stupid answer -but its that kinda day!

lizy - uggggh

i would like to go to the caribbean again, that was awsum, L.A was pretty cool when i went but cold!

im all about the heat to evan so, anywhere hot!

ye and lizzy wants to also visit england as she has a boyfriend there :P

Guest Zenda

Kia Ora,

Just adding on some...

During the 70s I travelled quite a bit around Europe and Scandinavia and worked in these countries...

France=Near Lyon and Grenoble- grape and walnut picking-Memories =Drinking home made wine and partying B)

Germany=Lubeck youth hostel-Memories= spotlessly clean, buses and trains run on time B)

Denmark=Kopenhagan restaurant-The beautiful island of Bornholm youth hostel-building site-Memories=just beautiful "Jeg elska du Danmark!" [my Danish is a bit rusty]...

Finland=selling flowers in an Helsinki market=Memories= cold but beautiful

The Netherlands=Rotterdam utsend bureau factory work...Memories= B):mellow: can't remember much... :rolleyes: wonder why...

Now the reason why I'm mentioning all this is, I didn't have much money to travel with, I hitch hiked around and managed to find work a long the way-So if I can do it on a shoe string budget, then so can you- especially the young ones...Don't give up on your dreams...

Dish washing in restaurants and finding youth hostel work is easy to come by, it was quite easy in France at the time for overseas students [or young people] to find work on the vineyards in the South...

But I guess work permits might be harder to get for some countries-back in the early 70s there were quite a few North Americans living and working in Europe...

Guest Donna Jean

Well, Im very well traveled thanks to Uncle Sam's dime.....lol

Been to 25 countries including Libya and Iran (when they were friends) Canal zone, South East Asia (don't ask) Spain, Italy, Greece, Cypres, Isreal, Turkey, Europe, Africa (Nigeria) Japan, Iceland and Greenland...and many more (OHhhh that sounds like a record offer...lol) All 50 states...(I used to hitch hike a lot)...

But, I'd really like to go to Russia! Moscow! I've wanted to go there since I was in the 7th grade and was learning the Russian language! I'm still fastinated with it!

I tend to enjoy staying home anymore...Never seen New Orleans, though!

Maybe..........

Donna Jean

Donna Jean,

You might want to throw in St. Petersburg (Leningrad) - it is considered to be the "Venice of Russia" - with all of the canals, beautiful architecture and the Hermitage Museum!

Also the Church of the Resurrection is there - gorgeous!

But the food - oh no! :o

I had a meal at their only 5 star hotel - I would never eat at a 4 star! (Not a snob, but a fear for my health!)

The served a delicacy - sturgeon with caviar garnish (sturgeon roe {eggs}) but it was a fish unlike any other almost like rubber, hard to cut or chew and beyond that I was not aware of any particular flavor other than the sauce.

When I got back to the ship I had an Italian dinner - Yummy - now that's what Venice has that St. Petersburg doesn't!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Leigh

well, there are lots of places in the US i'd like to go...Cali mostly.

but i have always wanted to go to Japan and see where my mom spent the first years of her life.

also i have a good friend from Korea, so i'd pop over there as well.....

but really, i want to go everywhere....lol.

oh, and i want to go to Jamaica :)

peace&love

Leigh

Guest Drew

to me, anything that sounds even remotely exotic is good (never really got out of ohio as a child..)

i'd like to do some traveling in the middle east if i ever get the money also. haha, i've even started to attempt to learn arabic.

...i don't know why, but war zones and places that have been labeled dangerous or not tourist friendly always seem appealing to me :huh:

for some reason i'd really like to go to somalia..

Guest Zenda
well, there are lots of places in the US i'd like to go...Cali mostly.

but i have always wanted to go to Japan and see where my mom spent the first years of her life.

also i have a good friend from Korea, so i'd pop over there as well.....

but really, i want to go everywhere....lol.

oh, and i want to go to Jamaica :)

peace&love

Leigh

Kia Ora Leigh,

My father was Jamaican-I spent a few months there before I transitioned, it's not the gay-trans-friendly of places to visit, the Rastas are ok, pretty laidback in their ways, but as for the rest of the population, gay and trans- people are beaten on a regular bases, many have fled to the UK and US fearing for their lives...

In saying that, I did enjoyed my time there, apart from the homo-transphobic thing, Jamaicans on the whole are really friendly and parts of the country are very beautiful...I was staying for a while with my relatives in a tiny settlement called Darlow about two hours bus ride from Kingston-my relatives now own part of the original plantation where my great great grandparents where born into slavery...weird feeling to be there...Has I write this sitting at my computer, to my right in a small wooden bowl one of my sons made for me in a woodwork class at school, are a couple of cashew nuts in their shells that I brought back from the plantation as sentimental souvenirs...

But there's an interesting story as to wise many Jamaican people are homo-trans-phobic, it's to do with the slave trade when masters and overseers used to sodomise the slaves as a form of punishment...

And now along with negative religious beliefs -[ homosexuality being a 'SIN'] sadly sub consciously many cisgender Jamaicans are EXTREMELY homophobic-it brings back painful memories...I read that somewhere, can't remember where, it was a university paper that was written by someone doing research into homophobia around the world...

Guest Lisa marie

Take my brain out put it in a robotic body then send me out to explore the universe, there's nothing more beautiful!, i should have been born 1000 years from now really

Guest Melanieshaman

land of my (adopted ancestors) Ireland, and well i'd love to go sit in the shadow of Stonehenge but i hear they won't even let you close anymore