• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

opinion on coming out in school to your teachers

Mybuttlost

Hiya!!! I was just wondering about coming out to my teachers and wanted to know what is y' all's opinions on coming out to your teachers is it something that should be avoided something you should do or is it something else???

-Miley

• Admin

Go ahead and talk FIRST to your school's counseling staff or your staff class advisor.  If they don't feel comfortable with the idea, --  you get the idea.  If they and the district are OK, they will help you and your parents deal with the Teachers formally so each teacher knows. 

16 hours ago, VickySGV said:

Go ahead and talk FIRST to your school's counseling staff or your staff class advisor.  If they don't feel comfortable with the idea, --  you get the idea.  If they and the district are OK, they will help you and your parents deal with the Teachers formally so each teacher knows. 

well the thing is I haven't come out to my parents and im scared that the teachers might let something slip...

• Admin
Just now, Mybuttlost said:

well the thing is I haven't come out to my parents and im scared that the teachers might let something slip...

This is why I suggested your school counselor before any teachers.  I recently found out there was an LGBT Community Center in your city, so contact them to see what teachers and counselors can discuss with your parents without your permission and go from there.  Big goal is to get your parents on board or get the idea that it is not safe to do that, which drives the truck so to speak.

Hiya!!! I will try to contact the center thanks for the idea/help!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Miley, 

Many districts now have LGBTQ policies in place now.  A quick Google search or search of your district's website might be worth your time.  It could also help to figure out when you could switch bathrooms and locker rooms, or present female at school. Most school employees are mandatory reporters, meaning if they think a student is a danger, they are obligated to contact appropriate authorities.  Looking for information about what they are required to report to parents might also be worth your time.

Good Luck,

JS