• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

My Makeup Routine

Sally Stone

Part 1 The Prep

I turned my makeup routine into an article, thinking I would post it in the hope someone else could benefit from the things I have learned.  Turns out, with all the detail I put into the article, it ended up being quite long, not something anyone would want to read in one sitting.  So, I have decided to post my routine in parts.  Part one is about the pre-makeup prep.

Because I have always needed makeup to enhance my feminine appearance, I have learned through much practice, some very effective application techniques.

If you are like me, a girl with large pores, you possess a face shape that isn’t naturally feminine, makeup is your best friend.  I am always amazed at how effectively makeup alters my appearance.  It’s positively transformational if applied correctly, and I must be doing something right, because I often get compliments.

To start things off, and I know this going to sound cliché, but before you apply makeup, it is critical to properly prepare your face.  The most important step is to moisturize.  In fact, prepping for makeup should be an everyday part of your facial care routine, even if you aren’t wearing makeup that day. 

I use Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair twice daily.  When I started using it, I already had a few age-related wrinkles, and while I haven’t seen a noticeable reduction in those, the formula’s real power comes in the form of pore size reduction.  There is a huge difference now, and having tighter pores significantly reduced the pebbly texture of my skin, a typically “male” facial characteristic. 

I combine the anti-wrinkle regimen with moisturizer every day, and I do my best to avoid the sun as much as possible, or I wear sunscreen.  Taking care of your skin has huge benefits and makes makeup that much more effective.  My only wish is that I’d started taking care of my skin when I was in my twenties. 

Being the part-time woman I am, means that I must deal with facial hair before I do my makeup, and for this article I’ll just say that a very close shave is a necessity.  My actual routine is complicated, but I try to let my whiskers grow long before shaving.  It makes for a much closer shave and minimizes the irritation.  If I’m doing my makeup, I try to shave 60 minutes prior.  This allows my skin to relax, and gives my pores a chance to shrink.  The hot water used during shaving actually expands the pores, but it is possible to reduce them by using an astringent right after shaving, but be forewarned, it is going to sting.

After cleaning and shaving, I moisturize with a moisturizer made to be used under foundation.  Some moisturizers can be too greasy to use underneath foundation.  Once the moisturizer has been absorbed into the skin (the skin is no longer tacky), then I apply primer.  Primer helps keep your makeup in place and helps it wear longer.  I have used many different brands over the years, and all I’ll say about choosing one is that you don’t have to spend a fortune.  There are some really good drugstore primers out there that won’t break the bank.  One thing I don’t do, is rub the primer into my skin.  Instead, using my fingertips I pressed it into the skin.  This takes more time, but I have found it makes priming more effective, and it helps to minimize pores.

Next time I'll cover foundation.  Hugs, Sally

• Admin

If I could make a suggestion, turn this one into a Blog here for the site which will keep it all together and put a link to the Blog down the line in this one. 

Vicky, Do I just copy and paste the link from the search bar, or is there a specific link mechanism in the blog area?

Thanks for the recommendation,

Sally

I just posted the 4th installment of my makeup routine to my blog.  If you are interested in reading it, here is the link:

So, I have read all 5 parts, and the only thing I did not see was eye shadow, liner, mascara, or lipstick. Are these going to be in another step you are adding? I'm really interested in trying this, and having a step by step guide is really helpful!!! 

I only have 2 other things I need to know. How many different 'tools' do you have? Brushes, sponges, etc... If you could make a list of everything, that would be REALLY helpful. Not necessarily using specific makeup names or anything.

For example: Concealer, foundation, blush, etc.

2 hard brushes, 1 soft brush, a soft sponge, etc. 

I think all of these will be really helpful for someone like me, who has absolutely 0 experience with makeup and nobody around that does either.

Thank you SSSOOO much again!

❤️ Hugz!

Hey Juelie,

Actually, eyes is the next installment, but I haven't quite finished it.  Should be done in the next couple of days.  I hadn't thought about listing tools and supplies as part of the routine blog, but it is a great idea.  So, I'll add that information as well.

I'm so glad you think the blog is helpful.  I started posting it because I suspected it might be.  And, if you have any other specific questions about makeup application that I haven't covered, please don't hesitate to ask.

Hugs,

Sally

Just posted another installment for my makeup routine blog if anyone is interested.  I know several of you are following it, and I appreciate that.

Hugs,

Sally