• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Makeup and My Virus Mask

Sally Stone

Okay, this post could probably go in the Beauty forums just as easily, but since this is now a new, daily issue, I thought it would also be appropriate here.  The virus masks I wear when I'm out are wreaking havoc on my makeup.  Of course, the two I have, my wife made for me, and she designed them for my male persona.  In my male persona, all the mask has to do is fit fairly well and contain liquid droplets, and the ones I have, work as advertised.  However, when I wear them when I'm in my female persona, they tend to rub foundation off the skin where they make contact.  I have always worn lip-paint as opposed to conventional lipstick, so, my lip color isn't affected too badly, but the temporary gloss coat that goes on top of the lip-paint wears off my lower lip as soon as I put on a mask.

So, the challenge is to find a mask that isn't so hard on foundation and lipstick.  I have challenged my wife to make me a makeup friendly mask, because, I don't see the requirement to wear one out in public, going away anytime soon.  Most cis-women can just forgo makeup, but I need it to enhance my feminine image.  This was one trans issue I didn't see coming.

Hugs,

Sally

Definitely an issue, to be sure.  But not an altogether negative one... for me anyway (yet).  I figured that as I’ve just come out and started my journey, I’m not ready to go out in public just yet.  

I joked with my friends last night that when I do reach that point, the mask might make me a bit “makeup-lazy” because a mask and sunglasses could hide a lot.  And really... would a girl with crippling OCD be removing her mask in public a lot during a pandemic?  I’m thinking a big ol’ “no.”

Are you using a good setting powder or spray?  It may help some.  The more important thing though is that the mask fits snuggly, you're going to have rubbing with any type of mask.  A different option from a mask, would be a face shield.  This won't mess with your makeup, as it doesn't make contact with your face.  It will mess with your hair though.  

I would personally prioritize my safety over both my makeup or my hair, if you are really concerned, carry some touch up makeup with you, for when you don't need to wear any PPE.  Then you can fix what the mask messes up.  Stay safe.

• Forum Moderator

I generally had been wearing lipstick only when I go out.  As the lockdowns started I had to go have blood drawn.  As I got ready I put lipstick on.  As I prepared to leave the car at the medical center I put on my mask and thought 'well that's not working!'  When I returned to the car and removed the mask of course there was the outline of my lips.  Needless to say I haven't worn any make up since.  

Maybe time to reevaluate your procedure while we wear masks to protect ourselves.