• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Passion Hobbies

KathrynnCox

So I wanted to see if I could spark any mindless joy here and help everyone have a fun weekend. Do you all have any passion projects?

For me it’s an absolute love of my project car, a rare 1993 Nissan 240SX Convertible. I bought the car on eBay in 2011 and realized after driving it 8.5hrs home that the car had been involved in a major collision and had a destroyed frame. My dad and I spent 6 months fitting a replacement section of frame to the car and getting it back on the road. The car is wonderful to drive and I love it but it’s cursed. I’ve had to replace the transmission 2x with the last year and the engine blew up in November. I’m finishing the engine swap with my dad but it’s going slow due to the Covid-19 thing since I can’t visit him to finish it. This is one of my “Guy Things” that I refuse to give up. Can’t wait to cruise around with the top down and my hair blowing in the wind.....

Anyone else have a passion project that they love?

582CCA5A-5BFE-4B7E-9214-EAEC21AA8C90.jpeg

3 hours ago, KathrynnCox said:

any mindless joy

Yes, lol. I like to stipple. Pointilism, circulism.  It is the madness of making millions of tiny dots and cross-hatching to produce a larger picture. I have many and as strange as it seems, it is my mindless joy. My stippled farm was the 1st project of dots on lines on scratches with pen and ink. I'm doing a Work In Progress, a french farmhouse that will bring me many more months of happiness in the soothing scratch of pen on paper. 

stipple farm.jpg

WIP frenchhouse.jpg

• Admin

The one I have got at the minute is learning to use video editing software I don;t know that well YET to put together a training video for my Trans Chorus Of Los Angeles on how to set up our audio gear for performances.  The gear is mine that I have acquired over the last 20 years but it works well, and with 42 singers in the group I keep adding more to it.  We can't all be together just now, and so my back yard has become my "set" for demonstrating all the parts we use and how to put them in place.  I am isolated from my neighbors so I do not have to mask up, but even I did not appreciate what I have learned over the years, and what comes naturally to me takes time to learn.  I love all of my young friends in the group, and that is what makes for passion.

@Just Lee Gorgeous Art!?

I like to make my own jewelry with sewing seed beads and gemstones together. Takes a while but I can literally walk with it.

Bracelet.jpg

Bracelet close up.jpg

1 hour ago, Just Lee said:

Yes, lol. I like to stipple. Pointilism, circulism.  It is the madness of making millions of tiny dots and cross-hatching to produce a larger picture. I have many and as strange as it seems, it is my mindless joy. My stippled farm was the 1st project of dots on lines on scratches with pen and ink. I'm doing a Work In Progress, a french farmhouse that will bring me many more months of happiness in the soothing scratch of pen on paper. 

stipple farm.jpg

WIP frenchhouse.jpg

Very artistic, my youngest son who I haven't seen in 20 years now was good at this. I have two of his framed and on the wall.

Hi Kathryn,

I too am a classic car enthusiast.  You can see one of my vehicles in my profile picture.

Car projects can be challenging at times, but stick with it, and it should turn out ok in the end.

Robin.

55 minutes ago, Robin said:

Hi Kathryn,

I too am a classic car enthusiast.  You can see one of my vehicles in my profile picture.

Car projects can be challenging at times, but stick with it, and it should turn out ok in the end.

Robin.

Your car is beautiful. I’m guessing a ‘57 Chevrolet Bel Air Coupe? 

My little Nissan is a cursed car. She was featured on Jalopnik a few years ago. I’m a wee hesitant to give this out because it has a picture of me in current male mode but I’ll share it with a fellow enthusiast. 

www.tinyurl.com/umojajalop 

You do appear to have suffered more than your fair share of problems with the Nissan.  With rare vehicles it is not always easy to find a good example, and you have to make the best of what is available.   

My yellow '57 Chevy is actually a 210 2-door sedan.  It has got a 350 small block and TH350 transmission. 

Robin.

My parents neighbor had a 57 Handyman Wagon dressed up as a nomad. Great car but super slow with an 80s era Camaro driveline under it. 

So, i make terrain pieces for table top war gaming and role playing games.  These are some standing stones i recently made.  I have lot of other pieces, this was just what was handy.

DSC_0103[1].JPG

46 minutes ago, michelle_kitten said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=7c68bfb3d886b12bSo, i make terrain pieces for table top war gaming and role playing games.  These are some standing stones i recently made.  I have lot of other pieces, this was just what was handy.

DSC_0103[1].JPG

Awesome! Been working on my Kingdom Death figures for a while now but love building stuff for it. What's you're favorite table top game?

That's totally an awful pic.  Sorry.

Traditionally, i am a D&D player, but i desperately want to play Traveller 2nd Edition by Mongoose.  I actually played the original Traveller, and think it would be totally fun to revisit.  I am kinda thinking about making pieces to sell.

I love to do digital painting especially characters I love to show some emotions on them

crying.thumb.jpg.38678b763bdd679e34f610f860b77f41.jpg

also love to learn languages, the thing is that I change the language I am learning a lot

I know well.. english haha, french, spanish, I have good basics in japanese  just need some vocab actually, and then started numerous without finishing like russian, chinese, hindi..

35 minutes ago, michelle_kitten said:

That's totally an awful pic.  Sorry.

Traditionally, i am a D&D player, but i desperately want to play Traveller 2nd Edition by Mongoose.  I actually played the original Traveller, and think it would be totally fun to revisit.  I am kinda thinking about making pieces to sell.

Never got to play Traveller before, it's like Firefly space opera stuff, right? Played Call Cthulhu, D&D, and Pathfinder.

You should totally make pieces to sell and go on boardgamegeek.com and link it to an instagram/etsy/patreon, make some good money. Specially custom ships dungeons. Like Space hulk instead you can make different deck lvls. Or you can go Attack Wing design ships and have epic table top space combat, with old school ship spread sheets like Star Trek battlefleet.

@Ethan da potato

Nice work!

Catch all those languages, it's way more useful and better than pokemon.

I have a lot of small hobbies but the one that I stick with, feel passionate about and keeps me going in this crazy world is working out.

I used to be into electronic music, art and jewelry making. I've been so stressed though aand haven't really had the inspiration. 

But I have started becoming a health freak. I started vegan and keto diet, intermittent fasting. And I walk about 10 miles everyday. Trying to get my summer bod. 

~Toni

• Forum Moderator

What hobbies am I not passionate about. 99%  are about cars. let me see. Car audio I love a great sounding music system in my cars. I am the 2002 USACi world champion pro 0-150 sound quality. That was in our 1989 Ford LTD Crown vic. my current project is an audio/video system in our 2000 Crown vic.

We have a passion with the Ford Panther platform cars (crown vic. grand Marq, town car) we have had 9. currently have a 1985 Crown Vic two door (performance project), a 1990 Merc Grand Marquis and the 2000.

Other passion is Ford Explorers  we have had 8. currently a 2000 Limited. Our offroader.

there's my Buick 1971 Buick Sportwagon. that I am working on. running and driving project. I also build model cars. I ride Harley Davidson currently a 2015 Street Glide.

My other passion is dog training however that is on hold until I get another Shetland Sheepdog. have a miniature long hair dachshund now.

yeah, I should have enough to keep me from getting board, yet I do.

Kymmie

Recently I find myself with a massive green thumb. I am attempting to propagate my succulent and taking care of my baby sequoia tree :)) It has grown at least 4" since I got it. My other sequoia is around a 1' tall and still growing heathily :)) 

That's great @Aidan5 that you're growing plants! There a perfect metaphor for your stage of life. You nurture the plants to maintain everything on the outside to the best condition. You provide all the right things to make the outside reach full growth potential. But what you see of that plant is literally only half of it. Those strong beautiful roots are what keeps it alive.Beneath that soil grows many roots in many different directions seeking nourishment, growing strength daily and making a solid foundation. Your feelings are those roots. They might be beneath the surface where your parents can't see them, but they're most definitely a strong and essential part of you. They're the core of your existence and no on can take that from you. Keep on being the amazing person you are and grow those roots to stabilize your life. Small metaphor--my cruel neighbor purposely mowed over my ivy plants. He moved over the protective rocks I put around them, broke his machine and there was only 1 single leaf left. I brought that leaf upstairs and now he's over 18" long with no signs of stopping. Nurture the roots beneath the surface and build your foundation man. 

ddvbwqc-b047eb5f-cede-4c51-be26-a6ef3339b0c7.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNzc1ZjQxNjYtOTFlNy00OGE3LWFlYzYtMTNkNjU2NWFmNjdjXC9kZHZid3FjLWIwNDdlYjVmLWNlZGUtNGM1MS1iZTI2LWE2ZWYzMzM5YjBjNy5qcGcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.byALiOmaTC2cw8MwPzfn6TTjKJVN3mWR1cTvUNiJK7Q

ddvbyiz-de3a7720-b35a-4dae-8c43-ee127102f4ec.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNzc1ZjQxNjYtOTFlNy00OGE3LWFlYzYtMTNkNjU2NWFmNjdjXC9kZHZieWl6LWRlM2E3NzIwLWIzNWEtNGRhZS04YzQzLWVlMTI3MTAyZjRlYy5qcGcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.OLVDq_oOOXUgIevakW8pecVgQHxr6AWy3fabot3wxjg

• Forum Moderator

My hobby is astrophotography.  I have a backyard observatory that I built myself, several very capable telescopes, and a fancy cooled camera.  I have been into astronomy all my life, but only got serious about it ten years ago.  The observatory is fully automated, so I can fire it up any night when the sky is clear, and it will take pictures while I sleep. 

The hard part is "developing" the pictures.  It is all digital, of course, but there is a lot of semi-technical, semi-artistic work that has to be done to turn the raw images into something worthy of posting.

Here is a recent example that I am quite pleased with:

49952004753_f707f4748c_b.jpg

• Forum Moderator
44 minutes ago, KathyLauren said:

Here is a recent example that I am quite pleased with:

49952004753_f707f4748c_b.jpg

Like wow, that rocks Kathy !

I don’t really seem to have a hobby because I don’t get to leave work long enough lol. Recently I did pick of cycling. When I’m off I try to ride a little bit, but I only get off one day a week.

My outlet has always been music. I picked up my first guitar at age 12 and was largely self taught. From there, I self-taught keyboards, bass (which is a natural offshoot of guitar) drums, mandolin and am now teaching myself steel guitar. I purchased a 21 track computer based system on which I record, and overdubb various cover songs and some originals. The effects are also fun to play with as they can add greater depth to the finished product. If I would have had my way, I would have pursued a degree and ultimately, a career in music. But of course, my parents pushed a career in health care (to fall back on), and I caved. I did well, but it wasn't me. And that was my first mistake. Living my life for someone else's expectations.

I'll stop digressing. I play my music and that brings a lot of joy. I'm writing a song right now about coming out and how it took s lifetime to do it

I enjoy two passion hobbies, maintaining a 6000 gallon Koi pond that I constructed and stocked years ago and growing tomatoes and green peppers from seed during the summer months. We can what we don't eat right away. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4e.jpg

thumb_IMG_0136_1024.jpg