• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A song for us

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

I've been a songwriter since high school (some 50+ years). I just finished one I want to share with my new sisters. 

I just started working on voice feminization so that it in my current voice and I did all the writing, playing, singing and mixing - so hopefully it isn't too "EAR" atating. It is from the heart though and for you.

You Are Not Alone

(Words & Music – Shay Heather)

When the sun comes up the light will get in

When the sun comes up again

When the night is over darkness will fade, fade away, fade away 

Know that I’m always with you know that I’m always here

You are not alone facing the unknown 

Call on me call on me

When the north wind blows and the world turns cold

When the north wind blows you down

I will warm you up keep you safe and sound till the coldness goes

Call on me call on me

When the night time comes and you’ve lost your way

When the night time comes along

You just think of me and I’ll be there, there for you, there for you

Call on me call on me

You are not alone facing the unknown  call on me call on me

Call on me call on me

You Are Not Alone.mp3

• Forum Moderator

thank you...it is so nice to get some feedback. when i send songs to friend i rarely get response which of course feeds my insecurities. 

That is a really beautiful song! It would be really nice to have more songs that addresses our feelings, because music can touch our hearts. I'm making music myself for 32 years now, but I'm not really a good singer. But I think I'll follow your idea and making a song too! Let's see what I can come up with.

I also have a request to ask regarding your upload. Your MP3 has 256 kbps (which should be plenty) but it sounds more like it has been encoded at 64 kbps, especially on headphones. And the end of the song is followed by over 2 minutes of silence. Would you mind to look into this issues and upload a fixed version of the file? That would be great ?.

And... I really like to hear more songs from you! ?

• Forum Moderator

i will see what the problem is. i hate mixing and bot good with it. i did do all the vocals and instruments though. 

thank you for your kind remarks and i will add others knowing someone would like to hear what i have. ive written probably 500+ songs and most recent align better with us...i hope.

• Forum Moderator

thank you

Guest Vickie

excellent work ,,notes? Score? or is that the mp3? It has a wonderful rhythm to it and quite touching and very Visual. I felt the desperation ,,,.then the phone rang ?

• Forum Moderator

Wow @Shay, you’re extremely talented! I read your lyrics and then had to DL and listen to the mp3. I was pleasantly surprised how well it all flowed. It has a very peaceful and spiritual overtone. It’s amazing all the combined talent our group has to offer here.

Thank you for sharing.

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator

mp3 for this time. I cleaned it up and am re-submitting based on Katharina's comments and she was quite right. I am going to repost and add 2 other song I wrote and recorded and did most of the instrumentation on.

Love,

Shay

PS I hop you find them comforting -they came out and I think they are for us.

• Forum Moderator

thank you

• Forum Moderator

I'm glad you like it. I have been writing songs almost all my life and in the past 10 years or so they have been leaning more to songs of support and now I see why.

Shay

Very well done. Your lyrics are simple yet very strong. I am in awe of your positivity. I have been writing music and lyrics, mostly lyrics with a song writing partner, for over thirty years. My song writing style tends to be on the  dark side of human emotion and experience. When I am writing with the intent of  writing something positive and I write something on the upside of life and then waste hours and days trying to find the next line of positive, I feel like Oliver Twist "Please, sir, I want some more." and then end up empty handed.

Keep on inspiring music that gives comfort and hope.

Tusen takk

Erikka

• Forum Moderator

Wow - I join this forum and meet another songwriter. I would love to hear your work. The songs I write that are any good then to come quickly and I'm horrible at preachy songs and try to write from the standpoint of letting the song tell me what it wants to be about --- and more and more they are about support and caring and wanting or providing a hug unconditionally.

Shay,

I just finished writing the music to lyrics I wrote a year ago. Probably one of then best in a long time. If you want to hear some of my tunes, go to Spotify,  do a search for the artist "Two_Car Garage", the album you want is titled " 'S Alright" . I wrote every tune except #2, #8 and #10 and do the vocals on #3, #7, #9 and #11. Our 3rd and final CD is in the process of  being mixed. My own solo work, appropriately named "The Dark End of The Garage" is in the recording phase, and it is even darker than the album posted on Spotify. "Two-Car" was just a duo. We did most of the instrumentation ourselves with some really talented friends doing lead parts on #3, #8 and #9. Hope you enjoy.

Tunsen takk  

Erikka 

• Forum Moderator

I will check it out - love the duo's name. 

I now use Presonas Studio 1 and bought toontracks drums and keyboards and they were a godsend as I'm horrible on keys and the drums sound much better. I'm still getting used to the gear but I'm getting used to it now. I still hate mixing and mastering - not my forte

I use a Focusrite interface, Cubase software where I can do my own drum programing - the secret to making drum tracks  sound less computer driven is to randomly move the snare or kick slightly before the beat or just a little behind the beat,  My co-writing partner and I both have Cubase Artist software and quite often I do my thing in my studio, put it on a flash drive and give it to him so that he can do his parts. Recording has become so much easier than my first recording 50 years ago with unforgiving reel to reel.

• Forum Moderator

yeah -amen... I first used 2 track and bounced, then 4 track, then a 388 tascam reel to reel, then actually recorded in some good 24 track studios. I have used ADAT the sonar, now Studio One seems to have the musicians in mind and uses the better stuff fron Cubase, Logic and ProTools and I like it. toontracks drums uses 80,000 samples in their libray and variations of intros, verses, choruses, pre-choruses, fills, endings and even if you are lazy like me they integrate variation in attacks, pre and after beat changes and different human characteristics and if you use an entire sound with same beat - they go ahead and use algorhythms to humanize the drum parts. Same with their keyboards. I use flash drives with a producer friend in Virginia, but would love to colaborate. I write in many different styles but more recently it seems I love playing the soother keyboard things now that I can use toontracks and add inversions and cooler sounding things.

Shay you are more high tech than I am. I am pretty old school in many respects. Most of what I know on the tech has come about by necessity. I was in a VA residential hospital program for PTSD for four months. My four month absence was in the middle of our third CD recording. I had a guitar, my laptop and Cubase to work out my parts for the CD. I don't think I would have relied on the computer as much as I did if I hadn't been in a residential program because prior to my absence we had been working with an engineer and producer locally and in my absence a creative way had to employed in order to finish the work. So much to learn about so many tricks.

Cheers

Erikka

• Forum Moderator

I'm much more old school but...as you said... if I don't do it my songs will never get recorded and so grugingly I have forced myself to learn. Sisters-in-arms.....

Shay