• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How Many leftie's are out there and how many rightie's

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

Cyndee and I are both left handed and she mentioned she wondered how many members here are left handed. She thinks it is a higher percentage than the CIS population. If you could tell us if you are right handed or left handed, I will tabulate and work up the percentage just for fun.

Thank You,

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

Yep, count me as Lefty, when I was young (60's), they were still trying to teach young students to use their right hand for writing, it just did not work for me and was in conflict, yes I think using a pen with the left hand is probably harder, but feels more natural to me. I do most everything with my left hand, except for holding a toothbrush, for some reason I use my right hand for that.

• Forum Moderator

I'm right handed but can do many things left-handed although not fully ambidextrous.  There are several lefties in my family.  

• Forum Moderator

we will give you a 50-50 on that and so it looks like we will need to have 3 catergories - LEFT - RIGHT - BOTH

• Forum Moderator

Right handed, sorry. Like I keep telling people; I'm not that interesting.

Hugs!

• Admin

Ambidextrous for most things except writing.  Prefer right hand for customary things, but craft working and building are ambidextrous based on what is being done.

Lefty, though I do play guitar, hockey and golf right-handed and when I played baseball I could switch hit. 

Right handed here, I always vote (when in Greece) with my right hand and the right party, which is in power nowadays ?

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, VickySGV said:

Ambidextrous for most things except writing.  Prefer right hand for customary things, but craft working and building are ambidextrous based on what is being done

I agree with @VickySGV I catch, throw, and write Right Handed. Everything else I learned to switch hit, tools, long guns and side arms. If faced with a Southpaw, I can switch to match. Some things I can even do while hanging up side down. 

Hugs,

Mindy???

• Forum Moderator

that would drive me batty (pun intended)

• Forum Moderator

I’m right handed. ?

I'm also a lefty! ? But like some, I do have a few things I can do with my right hand.  Curiously, I have a pair of left-handed scissors, but I've had to use right-handed ones so often that using left-handed scissors is a little bit awkward for me.  Also, I once tried left-handed computer mouse orientation, yeah that didn't fly well with me at all.  ?

Pretty much both, I predominantly use my right for signatures etc, but can easily use my left if required. :)

Another righty here, although, surprisingly, I find it easier to wash my hair with left hand.

I'm right handed but deal cards left handed.

I usually play guitar right handed but can play one strung left handed to a degree.

• Forum Moderator

i had a feeling you were.?

Heather Shay

i  right hand but when i was play sports baseball. B.Ball i used both. I also can kick with both feet 

• Forum Moderator

Probably naturally right but pretty much both. When learning to play the guitar I noticed just how complex things I was doing with my left so questioned it. For a while, at school,  I learned to write with my left (and found the writing was pretty much identical to my right). These days with many things I naturally swop from one to the other but still use my right for intricate things (even then often using the hand which is handy lol). Perhaps as much training as handedness.

Tracy

• Forum Moderator

A righty here. 

I am not remotely amibextrous: there are many things that I just can't do with my left hand.  I can do tasks that require left-right coordination: handling the fork when eating with knife and fork, shaping chords on the guitar, playing hammered dulcimer.  But for most things, my left is just too klutzy.

One task that I only do with my left is opening jars.  Though HRT has robbed me of much of my upper body strength, I am still the designated jar-opener in our house.  I use my left hand on the lid because pad at the base of the left thumb gives the left hand more torque when twisting counter-clockwise.  (This is also the reason why screw threads are made to tighten clockwise: most people are right-handed, and the right hand has more torque in that direction.)

• Forum Moderator

So ... as of 9:05 EST July 17 

4 Lefties

5 Righties

8 Both

Small sample size so far, and self-reported, but it definitely does not match the common distribution of handedness. A very quick search with not a lot of scientific rigor put behind it (just checked Wiki for handedness) shows:

Righties @ ~90%  of pop

Lefties @ ~10% of pop

Ambies @ ~1% of pop

• Forum Moderator

we may be onto something - I was an Industrial Engineer in my former life so I understand 6 sigma and all that stuff and it will be interesting to see what our breakdown when we get a larger sample size - maybe even do some research like the one Cyndee sited above.

Thank You Sara

Shay, that's cool. l'm an analyst (comp prog & fraud) & a super nerd, I live for this stuff lol. Have my green belt, thought about trying to get my company to sponsor me for my black, but we have a couple black belts already in our company and my department doesn't need one.

• VickySGV changed the title to How Many leftie's are out there and how many rightie's