• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Intermittent fasting?

Reverie_Star

Reverie_Star

Has anyone had success with this diet. I have a few friends that swear by it, but am looking if anyone else has had some experience?

• Forum Moderator

I use it as part of my health routine, but alongside eating healthy and exercising more. Mostly, I started as a side-effect of doing all my cardio while fasting. I wasn't getting back from the gym until 9:30 or so and I was eating at 7, so... BOOM! Stealth 14-hour fast.

I think it probably helps shift your body into fat burning mode, but I wouldn't use it just by itself. Like I said, I kind of backed into it because reasons. 🤷‍♀️

I am still losing weight though.

Hugs!

Lots of good science coming out regarding the benefits, when done properly. I was doing it just before I came out, but I was also a major gym rat, so can't really tell you how much of an effect it had for me. Since COVID started I have completely fallen off the fitness wagon.

Reverie_Star

The hardest thing is getting the exercise in. the last few weeks my back has been poop. So will to exercise has been also.

Since the covid  thing in March  its been hard and my weight has gone up every month since then.

I am scared to step on the scale to be honest.

• Forum Moderator

We don't actually own a scale. I just get weight updates when I go to a doctor's office that weighs me. Right now that's just my gynecologist. My allergist is supposed to weigh me on Xolair days, but they haven't since everything closed down in March.

I'm kind of with my wife on this one. If we have a scale, I may obsess about my weight which is a HIGHLY variable number depending on what I've been doing that day, what I've eaten, etc... tracking trends makes more sense. Between measurements, I just try to exercise and eat healthy. Then I'm pleasantly surprised on weigh-in day the next time I visit my doctor. My physical trainer said the same thing: Don't weigh yourself day-to-day. Once a week at most.

I've got a goal in mind. That helps too. When I hit my goal, I'm getting a tattoo. Assuming I can do so safely. Stupid COVID.

Hugs!

I only weigh myself on Monday mornings. I also remind my doctors that the reason my Dentist is my favorite doctor is because she doesn't weigh me every time I see her. 

Weight loss is like golf, you should only compete with yourself.

Hug for you all,

Mindy🐛🌈🦋

Doctor visits are always stressful for me because each time I get weighed its higher but not by a whole lot usually.

This time when I had my neurologist check up last August  he weighed me and I was up 60 lbs since my visit last year.

That shocked even me.

• 3 weeks later...

It is quite effective, been trying it out for the past two-ish weeks or so, I'd recommend it! There's a ton of different options too, ranging from 8 hour blocks during the day (besides night time when your body should be in rest mode), to waiting 12-16 hours (personally, wait about 16-18 hours THEN have my 8 hour eating period). Many seem to work wonders over time in losing weight, lowering cholesterol--bunch of really beneficial things. You also lower cravings through substantial loss of the hunger hormone--GHRELIN, which also is somethin' that determines how much you crave sweets too :).

Can safely say that sugar is probably one of my few weaknesses with that, but been trying to be good about not having desserts or soda--so far so good! I'd say go for it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. but i can add to this fasting discussion.

I have been fasting every day from 6pm to 6 pm overall 24 hours on average. I found for myself starting out it was hard but getting a Free app called "Simple", its help me keep track in less then 2 months i have already loss a lot of weight, with eating health like chicken and vegetables. But still have coffee and tea and a lot of water helps with the hunger. Over time the hunger will subsides and helps me sleep better overall.

My Doctor has said to me fasting is healthily, but she recommended to get blood tests done on average 2-3 months as your iron count might get low and other minerals  might be also low. I highly recommend contact your GP / Doctor before starting as some health problems or heart issue might have a factor on you starting.

• Forum Moderator

OK, so intermittent fasting is relatively safe for most people if done in moderation. My health plan suggests at least a ten hour fast between my last meal of the day and the first. However you should absolutely consult with your doctor first. We're all different.

A twenty-four hour fast between meals I would not recommend as part of your weekly routine unless you're already in good health. That's assuming that you stay hydrated. Liquids (especially water) are key. Someone in good health can handle that. All of us post-op girls have done it at least once.

The idea is that without an influx of calories, your body goes after it's reserves (i.e. the fat you don't want). I've learned that you have to be super careful while you do this if you're looking to gain muscle mass because muscle is apparently easier for the body to break down than fat (thanks nature). So eat before working out if you're a gym rat like me. Your body is going to want the readily available energy.

Caveat:  you only fast, especially extreme fasting, under the direct supervision of at least a nutritionist. If you're eating less it's harder for your body to get the building blocks that it absolutely needs to keep you healthy. The idea that you should only go for this kind of diet plan if somebody is monitoring your health closely is pretty important. That should be very evident in the post so nobody hurts themselves.

Hugs!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 68 Guests (See full list)

• Chloe Cozee
    • Drayse
    • Cyndee
    • Audrey
    • Zooey
    • ValerieRun
    • Chloé Rei
    • Stephanie 2000
    • Ellie Jean
    • Carolyn Marie