• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Intermittent fasting?

Reverie_Star

Reverie_Star

Has anyone had success with this diet. I have a few friends that swear by it, but am looking if anyone else has had some experience?

• Forum Moderator

I use it as part of my health routine, but alongside eating healthy and exercising more. Mostly, I started as a side-effect of doing all my cardio while fasting. I wasn't getting back from the gym until 9:30 or so and I was eating at 7, so... BOOM! Stealth 14-hour fast.

I think it probably helps shift your body into fat burning mode, but I wouldn't use it just by itself. Like I said, I kind of backed into it because reasons. 🤷‍♀️

I am still losing weight though.

Hugs!

Lots of good science coming out regarding the benefits, when done properly. I was doing it just before I came out, but I was also a major gym rat, so can't really tell you how much of an effect it had for me. Since COVID started I have completely fallen off the fitness wagon.

Reverie_Star

The hardest thing is getting the exercise in. the last few weeks my back has been poop. So will to exercise has been also.

Since the covid  thing in March  its been hard and my weight has gone up every month since then.

I am scared to step on the scale to be honest.

• Forum Moderator

We don't actually own a scale. I just get weight updates when I go to a doctor's office that weighs me. Right now that's just my gynecologist. My allergist is supposed to weigh me on Xolair days, but they haven't since everything closed down in March.

I'm kind of with my wife on this one. If we have a scale, I may obsess about my weight which is a HIGHLY variable number depending on what I've been doing that day, what I've eaten, etc... tracking trends makes more sense. Between measurements, I just try to exercise and eat healthy. Then I'm pleasantly surprised on weigh-in day the next time I visit my doctor. My physical trainer said the same thing: Don't weigh yourself day-to-day. Once a week at most.

I've got a goal in mind. That helps too. When I hit my goal, I'm getting a tattoo. Assuming I can do so safely. Stupid COVID.

Hugs!

I only weigh myself on Monday mornings. I also remind my doctors that the reason my Dentist is my favorite doctor is because she doesn't weigh me every time I see her. 

Weight loss is like golf, you should only compete with yourself.

Hug for you all,

Mindy🐛🌈🦋

Doctor visits are always stressful for me because each time I get weighed its higher but not by a whole lot usually.

This time when I had my neurologist check up last August  he weighed me and I was up 60 lbs since my visit last year.

That shocked even me.

• 3 weeks later...

It is quite effective, been trying it out for the past two-ish weeks or so, I'd recommend it! There's a ton of different options too, ranging from 8 hour blocks during the day (besides night time when your body should be in rest mode), to waiting 12-16 hours (personally, wait about 16-18 hours THEN have my 8 hour eating period). Many seem to work wonders over time in losing weight, lowering cholesterol--bunch of really beneficial things. You also lower cravings through substantial loss of the hunger hormone--GHRELIN, which also is somethin' that determines how much you crave sweets too :).

Can safely say that sugar is probably one of my few weaknesses with that, but been trying to be good about not having desserts or soda--so far so good! I'd say go for it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. but i can add to this fasting discussion.

I have been fasting every day from 6pm to 6 pm overall 24 hours on average. I found for myself starting out it was hard but getting a Free app called "Simple", its help me keep track in less then 2 months i have already loss a lot of weight, with eating health like chicken and vegetables. But still have coffee and tea and a lot of water helps with the hunger. Over time the hunger will subsides and helps me sleep better overall.

My Doctor has said to me fasting is healthily, but she recommended to get blood tests done on average 2-3 months as your iron count might get low and other minerals  might be also low. I highly recommend contact your GP / Doctor before starting as some health problems or heart issue might have a factor on you starting.

• Forum Moderator

OK, so intermittent fasting is relatively safe for most people if done in moderation. My health plan suggests at least a ten hour fast between my last meal of the day and the first. However you should absolutely consult with your doctor first. We're all different.

A twenty-four hour fast between meals I would not recommend as part of your weekly routine unless you're already in good health. That's assuming that you stay hydrated. Liquids (especially water) are key. Someone in good health can handle that. All of us post-op girls have done it at least once.

The idea is that without an influx of calories, your body goes after it's reserves (i.e. the fat you don't want). I've learned that you have to be super careful while you do this if you're looking to gain muscle mass because muscle is apparently easier for the body to break down than fat (thanks nature). So eat before working out if you're a gym rat like me. Your body is going to want the readily available energy.

Caveat:  you only fast, especially extreme fasting, under the direct supervision of at least a nutritionist. If you're eating less it's harder for your body to get the building blocks that it absolutely needs to keep you healthy. The idea that you should only go for this kind of diet plan if somebody is monitoring your health closely is pretty important. That should be very evident in the post so nobody hurts themselves.

Hugs!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   16 Members, 0 Anonymous, 66 Guests (See full list)

• Jackie C.
    • Aurora
    • Drayse
    • DeeDee
    • Mmindy
    • Gabriel
    • Audrey
    • Mx.Drago
    • Bri2020
    • Holly Brandt
    • Shay
    • CD Rachel
    • KathyLauren
    • MaryEllen
    • Red_Lauren.
    • HollyNoel
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

BillieB
    Newest Member
    BillieB

1. ChristinaAnne
      ChristinaAnne
      (37 years old)
    2. Erikka
      Erikka
      (71 years old)
    3. Guiseppe_Tartini
      Guiseppe_Tartini
      (32 years old)
    • Jackie C.
      I have a friend who keeps telling me that tall women are dead sexy. Especially in a black dress and heels. I'm only 5'11", but the reality is that nobody gives a damn how tall I am except me.   Either way, welcome to Transpulse! We're glad you're here!   Hugs!
    • Bri2020
      "Ow, she's a brick house She's mighty-mighty, just lettin' it all hang out"   sorry, had to go there since that's my goal. haha   But I get the need for patience, I'm having to learn some myself these days and it's a struggle.  The house can be built one brick at a time.  
    • Jackie C.
      A very good point. These progressive executive orders need to become laws so the next regressive chucklehead doesn't spend his first week unraveling all the good things.   Hugs!
    • Mmindy
      Good afternoon @BillieB   Welcome to TransPulseForums and as @Audreymentioned, you're welcome here, there are people of all walks of life and experience to share with you non judgmental advice, and support. Even tall people.    Hugs, (masked of course)   Mindy🐛🌈🦋
    • Jackie C.
      You could build a really small house by carving the brick...   Hugs!
    • Mx.Drago
      Hey there and welcome! You'll be fine as a tall lady, you might make women jealous mostly cuz your height makes you more visibly imposing. Women can be very competitive. At least your wife is in on the situation and can back you up if need be. Plus there be many here in the forum who be towers of glamour all their own. There's also quite a few topics about those with extra tall figures on this site for tips and other things. Be confident knowing you're not alone out their. Glad to have you join in on the journey.
    • Mx.Drago
      Hurray! Now we just need a law, so no other prudes can do the same again. 
    • Mmindy
      Good afternoon from the Central Time Zone,   @Jamie68 cleaning/reorganizing the garage is something I do every 4th or 5th project. Some of the things I'm working on now are to facilitate my future retirement projects/capabilities. My shop table is organized chaos with off fall from recent work. The most effective way to clean it is with a wire mesh strainer over my shopvac hose. Anything smaller than a #8mm nut will pass into the waste bin, all other objects are pulled off and sorted for later use. Sawdust, metal filings, and smaller nuts bolts and washers are gone never to be seen again. My tablesaw is my layout surface, my work bench is heavy duty for pounding, blocking, and bracing.    They built a whole whole industry around "This Old House" including my favorite comedian/actor Tim Allen.   Good luck with your garage sort,   Mindy🐛🌈🦋
    • Audrey
      Welcome @BillieB, it's nice to meet you and I'm happy you've joined us here.  By any chance, was it Jackie Rabbit's channel that guided you here? I'd watched her videos but never made the connection until after I joined. It's wonderful that your wife has been supportive of you despite for fears about how she would respond. I relate to your anxieties about passing and being clocked, and the doubts you feel are perfectly natural. But the most important thing about the journey is that it's uniquely personal to you. You can take any of the steps you want to - social, medical, legal - whatever helps you be the person you know yourself to be. I look forward to seeing you around the forums and getting to know you better!   Love, ~Audrey.
    • BillieB
      Hello to all! This site was recommended to me from a YouTube I watched. I am 61 years old and been on a journey of discovery the past few years. A few years back I finally admitted to myself that I was bisexual, about two weeks ago I finally embraced my realization that I was no longer comfortable in my AMAB body. I have reached out to a therapist and am waiting to hear back. My wife point blank asked me what was going on, as I have been a bit agitated since my self-revelation. I told her dreading how she would react, she has been understanding and supportive. I currently use the label Non-binary because I am just starting my transitional journey and I am unsure how I can reasonably pass as I am 6’5” and stand out as a man, I get stared at all the time. I know there are tall women, but I have uncertainty how I can be received as a woman. Even with my doubt, this is a journey I MUST go on.   BillieB
    • Mx.Drago
      Hello and welcome! Glad to have you join us. Happy to hear your wife supports the transition the more on the journey the merrier.
    • Drayse
      Thanks so much for the welcome @Jackie C.     Yeah, I'm sure if I'd taken tips from the devil I'd have had much better fashion sense. 😂   Cheers, Drayse
    • Mx.Drago
      Never too late for a proper hi there, and glad you wish to journey with us. Love the name you picked.
    • Mx.Drago
      Hey there and welcome! @HaraSurya The glossary for different gender terms and labels out now is ever expansive and fascinating to read up. But despite labels we all try to live as comfortably as possible with what we have and always work towards improvements and progress. Loved watching M*A*S*H, was hard to watch some episodes, it would get super depressing. Klinger was the sanest character of that crew and my favorite character. Was never a GI Joe or Barbie fan prefer my stuffed animals, but definitely loved LEGOs and small miniature models, especially my animals, dinosaurs, hotwheels and trains. I'm a bigender pansexual. But a good number of times online I would pick male avatars over female, cuz still a dandy pretty boy at heart. Swallowing so much stereotypical girl stuff in my youth was practically torture but I don't mind being female entirely, just find it very restrictive due to being brought up in a perverted misogynistic society. But we strive for a better more inclusive future and do what we can to be at peace with at least ourselves.
    • RobynNYC
      Hi!   Looking for experiences some of you nay have had coming out to kids.  Me: mtf 50(! Omg...), out to spouse, who still loves me, I’m ambivalent about full transition, though I have started on low dose hrt and getting laser, both of which drastically have reduced my dysphoria (yay!! ).  As I think through how I would transition, I think it’s very clear how I could do this professionally, kinda clear how I could manage it in my marriage, but very unclear how this would impact our kids.  Girl 12 1/2 would still love me and has non-binary friends.  I have a very close relationship with my 8 1/2 yo son, and I’m just not sure how it would impact him. We are a very progressive family, and he has a non-binary classmate whose parent is trans masc, so he’s light years ahead of where I was at that age. But.     anyone have experience? Advice? Regrets?   resources to point to?    I’d be sooo thankful for any of the above!     -Robyn 
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.