• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hormones...mind Altering Drugs ?

Guest Zenda

:rolleyes: So far I feel quite out of place when it come to the mind altering effects that many forum members say they experience when starting hormone therapy. Many talk about the dramatic changes in personality/attitude and outlook on life.

Correct me if I’m wrong but scientific research carried out in Holland [and more recently in the US] has found that most transsexual people already have a hypothalamus similar in size to the gender they identify with. However ones hypothalamus does change in size for some due to hormone therapy. Perhaps that accounts for the major changes some experience regarding their attitudes/personality.

My likes and dislikes have not changed drastically. If they have changed at all, this as come about due to the natural process of growing older-where ones tastes have a tendency to change somewhat. The only thing apart from physical changes to my body that I’m aware of is being ‘more’ sensitive to my emotions…what I mean by that is I can’t hold back my tears when something has an emotional impact on me…in the past with effort I could .

I would say on the whole I’m the same me but in different body form. I now have the ‘freedom’ to express my true self in a more natural way that doesn’t feel foreign to me. Perhaps my being a vegetarian for over thirty odd years as something to do with my not noticing major changes…I eat a lot of soy products its possible my sub conscious felt I needed the slight feminizing effects from the oestrogen found in soy to maintain some form of female balance in my previous male existence. Food for thought !

I became a vegetarian because of my belief ‘we don’t have to eat other sentient being in order to survive…eating animal flesh is a barbaric form of delicacy not a necessity[my personal opinion] !’ Now I realise some might be thinking but you 'kill' creatures for a living [i’m an urban pestologist ]. The Buddhists concept of karma is simple-if one does something with hate or selfishness in their heart then the karmic energy they produce will be negative I don’t hate or dislike the creatures I deal with…but I do have compassion for the people who are trying to make a living eg, food shop owners and people who have concerns for their health. It’s an unfortunate fact of life certain vertebrate and invertebrate creatures are a major health concern and need to be controlled . Anyway I’m rattling on a bit here and don’t want to distract you from the topic.

For some do hormones really have such a drastic effect on their mind/personality/attitude :rolleyes: or is it all in the MIND ? ;)

Metta Jendar :)

Hi Jendar:

For me, I can't express what a dramatic change HRT has had on my mind. Yes, I'm still the same, have the

same likes and dislikes. But it's as though somebody turned the color knob up on the TV. My emotions have

taken over, I relate to people differently, I look much more into peoples faces and eyes. With smiling, as I

said, I've gone off the deep end, and it feels good. People start smiling at me now even before I start smiling

at them. I can wave hello to people I don't know from 100 feet away and I have to smile. I look at myself

in the mirror and I have to smile. I am much more happy, friendly and outgoing.

Crying, you say? Sunday I was watching our local autumn celebration parade. It was a nice day and everybody

was happy. At a couple of points the tears started flowing in my eyes and I had to wipe them. I think if I

went to a friend's wedding I would about collapse from happy tears.

The main reason why I'm interested in people's regret for HRT is to find out what the heck kind of person

would not see a dramatic life improvement on HRT. I still do not understand why everyone doesn't do it.

It would probably be unethical to kidnap men off the street and subject them to HRT to test this hypothesis.

Yes, the hypothalamus theory is very interesting, but remember, it was based on the autopsies of only six

transsexual brains and the data spread was pretty big. Interesting though. When they figure out a way

to measure the size of the hypothalamus without chopping it up, we'll know more.

Even though theories are only so much hot air until they've demonstrated some utility, I'm kind of fond of

the estrogen receptor theory. This says that we've all got different estrogen sensitive areas in our brain

and that we all react differently to estrogen. It seems you, Jendar, have reacted differently than me.

I have heard some people on the chats say that HRT was a giant roller coaster for them. It's been pretty

smooth and steady for me (except for the one time I got hysterical).

Z.

Guest CharlieRose

I've heard of hormones changing which gender you're attracted to. I saw a program with a transwoman who, before she started taking hormones, was attracted to women, but afterwards, was attracted to men.

Does that really happen? Is it common? Because... I'm biologically female, but I'm kind of used to liking guys. It would be really weird to all of a sudden like girls. I'm asexual, though, so I wonder if that would have any effect on it.

Hi Charlie Rose:

There was a whole topic on the subject of hormones changing your sexual orientation.

Sexual Orientation.

Basically there are two different answers:

Yes, hormones can change the sexual orientation of some people.

No, hormones can not change the sexual orientation of people. The process of transition allows them merely to acknowledge prior inclinations.

The facts are, some people's stated sexual orientation changes.

Z.

Kia ora CR, welcome to the club...I'm also asexual but I'm a bi-romantic asexual I find both male and female attractive but not in a sexual way. I am also a strong believer in what Z mentioned about ones sexual orientation being brought OUT into the open so to speak when on hormone therapy. I guess hormone therapy for many frees them from the anxiety that comes from feeling different but not quite knowing[or not wanting to know] why.

:rolleyes: I've just read your profile Charlie Rose...you say you are a B.O.B.Ws person...androygnous...best of both worlds. I am happy for you and hope you are happy being one of Mother Nature's BOB Ws ^_^ Enjoy the forum.

Good Morning Miss Jendar,

I too am just so dang happy everyday allday.

And the tears can come at a word said or read.

I have never in my life felt so at peace with who i am.

And then there is my roomy,the complete opposite.

Having anxiety attacks...filled with selfdoubts.

Not sure of where her life is going...

Her transition is painful because of the way she started...

Self diagnosed...self started HRT way too soon.

And is dealing with the consequences.

Really kind of sad.

Angie

:rolleyes: Z,Angie and others..when Z mentioned beginning hormone therapy was like turning up the colour[the English and CORRECT way to spell it :D But I forgive you... you North Americans don't know any better] on her TV it's true...When a person's depressed[gender dysphoric] the colours tend to become a darker hue and once that depression is lifted one starts to see the 'true' colours again and in a sense hormone therapy is like a form of anti depressant. Along with the coming to terms with who you are ie, seeing a gender counsellor and starting HT is for many the best form of therapy for overcoming depression.[Even counselling alone can greatly relieves depression and bring the true colour back into a person's dull life ]...WORD OF WARNING-PLEASE READ THE LABEL...TOO MUCH SMILING CAN BE CONTAGIOUS...RECENT SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH HAS SHOWN THIS TO BE TRUE ! :):):)

"Um mani padma hung!"

Slip of my cyber tongue again I forgot about my colonial cousins...Sorry about that Jenny...Still many Canadians don't like to be refered to as Americans in any shape or form. :D

Metta Jendar

Hi Angie:

I too am just so dang happy every day, all day.

And the tears can come at a word said or read.

I have never in my life felt so at peace with who I am.

I'm with you 100%.

I'm sorry about your roommate, but I guess it goes to show that we do react differently.

I am like your roommate in the sense of not knowing where my life is going, but for me that's no problem at all.

Z.

Guest Claire

My experience of taking hormones for 2 years has been a physical one for me. Each time I have increased my level of estrogen I get a bit dizzy for about a week or two. The over all feeling of complancency is noticable and inviting.

For the issue in regards to who I am attracted to has not changed. I have yet to notice any change of my taste other than what changed before I started mones.

I will never know if my hypothalamus is any different than how it was before I took this path of adjusting my physical looks.

Each person is going to react differently to the hormones.

Best wishes

hugs

Claire

B)

Hi Claire:

The overall feeling of complacency is noticable and inviting.

It's been gradual and I can't say exactly when it all developed, but the emotional effects on me have been much more than just noticable.

Sometimes I get so "over-happy" I think jokingly that they're going to sedate me and take me away.

It's not really being manic in the traditional sense, I'm not talking fast or nonsensical, I'm just radiating pure happiness. Still, I guess it is being manic.

On the flip side, there is no flip side. I don't get depressed. Most of the time I'm about the same as I was just with the background happiness turned up.

No, HRT doesn't get rid of all your problems (work, life, etc), but it sure helped me meet them with equanimity.

As far as the hypothalamus goes, I don't think anybody is claiming that the size changes under hormones.

Z.

Hey Ever Body,

When we talk about happiness..and the feeling of rightness on HRT.

There have been people that i know that have told me recently...

That my gender change is,"Just Right For Me."

The happiness on my face and the way i interact with others tells them so without words.

"You have found your true self Angie,and it's obvious."

That made me feel so good to hear those words,and it was a Lesbian from my church that said it.

I Have Found Myself...Truly I Have Indeed.

Hugs Girls,

Angie.

Guest matthew41

My experience on HRT was to calm my overactive mind. Anxiety related to having lived an unauthentic life ceased and let me look ahead instead of dwelling in the past. It didn't alter my personality, it just allowed me to express it with new found confidence.

Matt