• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Semantics

Guest Silver

Guest Silver

Okay EVERYONE,

this might be nit-picking, but this annoys the heck outa me. Laura's Playground is a safe place for anyone with any gender identity, right? We respect the people who do and don't identify with the gender binary, right?

So why the heck do people keep addressing general users with terms like "ladies and gentlemen?" I keep seeing "ladies and gentlemen, -insert intro here-" or "boys and girls..." I'd like to see more "ladies, gentlemen, and everyone in between or outside," or SOMETHING. Not everyone identifies as a 'lady' or 'gentleman'. We undoubtedly have people with non binary identities, so why don't we address them? I know, I know, its not that big of a deal, but it gets on my nerves. I'm a gentleman (sometimes :P ) but it just seems kinda insulting to leave out everyone else. I know its not MEANT that way, but still...

Whatever. I'm just ranting a bit.

-Xavier

Then I assume that this site is not the place for the old joke, "We have three children, one of each."

I am sorry, but I can't help but think of that when I hear things about girls and boys or ladies and gentlemen.

Here especially we should go with the gender neutral People or Friends.

Love ya,

Sally

I already try to acknowledge all areas of the gender spectrum, but it's not always easy- especially when comparing genders and such. But I do agree that things like "ladies and gentlemen..." at the beginning of posts is just a little off.

Guest April63

I don't think it's that bad. It's just used as an opening. I don't think anyone means to leave anyone out when using it.

• Admin

I like to use the term "folks," as in there are a lot of transgender folks on this site. Does that work?

Carolyn Marie

Guest 1charlotte1

Has anyone seen monty pythons meaning of life? At the very beginning a woman gives birth and she asks the doctor "is it a boy or a girl" and the doctor responds with "don't you think it's a bit early to be imposing roles on it?"

Lol , I love that line!

Hugz, Charlotte

Guest LightNebula
I don't think it's that bad. It's just used as an opening. I don't think anyone means to leave anyone out when using it.

This is what I think as well. I doubt there's ever really any malicious intent here when people use "ladies and gentlemen" or "boys and girls" to address others, but it would be better to say something like "everyone", "folks" like Carolyn Marie suggested, or some other form used to address more than 2 genders.

Guest Silver

I don't think anyone said that it was MEANT to be offensive, but I think to some people it potentially could be. Its something small, trivial, almost insignificant to some of us. But its not to everyone. Some people come here so vulnerable, all of their armor down and their wounds still open. A lot of these people don't identify with a binary label, and sometimes it helps just to be recognized. I know I know, no one means/meant to exclude anyone. I can't imagine any of you fine folks (and i do love that word) doing anything like intentionally excluding someone. I just like to nitpick. :rolleyes: it can get annoying, but i just thought this was worth mentioning. I honestly did not mean to imply that anyone was purposely excluding anyone.

Humbly yours,

Xavier