• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Lgbt Pride Month

Guest Evan_J

Guest 1charlotte1

Woo yeah!!

A shout out to anyone who fits into all those letters at once!!

I think that's me! Yay!

Happy pride month! I'm so proud! Seriously! This is Great being able to celebrate difference!

Guest April63

Pride? This is something we should be proud of? I would call it something unfortunate, not something positive. Maybe it's just me.

Pride? This is something we should be proud of? I would call it something unfortunate, not something positive. Maybe it's just me.

April,

Positives and negatives are relative terms.

Consider this saying.

I was mad because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet.

having no shoes is a negative - unless you have no feet and then you can only see the positive of having feet.

So it is up to you as to how you decide to look at things.

We have a rather unique ability to actually see things from both genders.

Just by talking to the cisgendered you know that they only have a slight clue to the one they are in because they never even thought about it.

Would you rather be proud or hide in the back of your closet?

I'm claustrophobic so I'm going to be proud.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Neuro

I guess my 'pride' in being trans would be more like 'I am not ashamed, I may not like it but I do not want others like me to suffer.' If we do not speak up, how can people help those who are trans? Maybe 'awareness' would be a better term? I put it awkwardly because I am tired.

The 'pride' of celebrating differences and things that are similar to us, of sharing advice and educating others. Of remembering those like us who could not live with the burden, and those who are blazing the trails for us. This month, maybe we can all blaze some trails to acceptance.

I am trans, but also like guys and girls equally in a romantic sense (my stuffy way of saying 'bisexual' ) which I am proud of, but also having to hide. This month, we remember that sometimes our differences make us an easy target and something to be shoved away. We remember that only by looking to the future and educating people that we are more than what is between our legs, can we help our own generation and our future generation.

I am many things, but I am not proud... however, I do wish for better lives for myself and all of us.

By showing the world that we DO in fact, have PRIDE as human beings--even if we may not as cisgender people--we can someday make that dream a reality.

Odder things have happened!

--Michael

Sally's got it- I'm proud to be transgender. It gives us a unique outlook on life, and while we face many hardships for our uniqueness, it gives us so many windows of opportunity and a life experience that I believe is special and should be cherished. We should be proud of what we are- even if we dislike it most of the time. There are always pros and sometimes we need to just sit back and take a moment to acknowledge them. It helps to keep us from going completely crazy. :P

As for the link... I thought it was good, but I'll just... not say what I thought of the whole "year of our lord" thing at the end. They still do that? I mean seriously... Oh well.

Guest CharlieRose

That's very true, Sally. Just because we don't want to be this way, doesn't mean we have to be ashamed of it. I've wished a thousand times a day that I was born male, but because I wasn't it's changed who I am. And that person I am now wants everyone to be able to be true to who they are without being afraid.

Guest MrAwesome

WOOO!!! *swings shirt above head* PARTY ALL NIGHT LONG! :D *dances* O=) okay I'm only a LITTLE excited about LGBT Pride month. ^_^ It's about time. I never celebrated Trans pride stuff before. o.o

So, with this new president, do you all think in the next few years that there will be more Trans Anti-discrimination laws? More rights?

Guest Evan_J
There is a difference between being "proud" and "thankful". There is even a difference between being "proud" and "boastful" (which I think is more how you are taking it).

In this case.....

Proud is the opposite of "ashamed"

Meant to imply a lack of feeling the need to "cover one's face" socially

The ability to feel that as an individual you are worthy, and good, and valued all the while accepting who and what you are

It is recognizing that, as a group, you have contributed, endured, and often overcome, whether in great volumes or small increments

:)

Guest nova

I'm proud to be a transsexual woman, or as my therapist writes: :Ms V____ is a female of transsexual origins". I am happy to be me, I like being me, and I have no problem telling anybody flat out, "Yah, I'm a transsexual woman . . . AND . . ? " I'm always happy to refer anyone to therapy if they are conflicted or intolerant about human biological diversity. Of course everybody knows Pride month is a big deal in San Francisco. The parade goes by my place two blocks away. I don't care who you are--be proud of who you are. I stand up for myself and I'll stand up for you!

Guest Elizabeth K

I agree with most of the above and wish we all could be a bit more proud of ourseves so we could reflect a better image to the non community. I am a child of the sixties so I saw a lot of 'pride' movements eventually evolve into political forces that established equal rights under law. So I am for any way of thinking that can improve understanding of diversity.

However, I think the major point of this TOPIC is really the statements made by our new President. I would sincerly hope this grandeousness is not a staged response to campaign promises. What I want to see is this part of the proclamation made into reality:

These measures include enhancing hate crimes laws, supporting civil unions and Federal rights for LGBT couples, outlawing discrimination in the workplace, ensuring adoption rights, and ending the existing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy in a way that strengthens our Armed Forces and our national security

Lizzy

Guest Melanieshaman
I agree with most of the above and wish we all could be a bit more proud of ourseves so we could reflect a better image to the non community. I am a child of the sixties so I saw a lot of 'pride' movements eventually evolve into political forces that established equal rights under law. So I am for any way of thinking that can improve understanding of diversity.

However, I think the major point of this TOPIC is really the statements made by our new President. I would sincerly hope this grandeousness is not a staged response to campaign promises. What I want to see is this part of the proclamation made into reality:

These measures include enhancing hate crimes laws, supporting civil unions and Federal rights for LGBT couples, outlawing discrimination in the workplace, ensuring adoption rights, and ending the existing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy in a way that strengthens our Armed Forces and our national security

Lizzy

I still stand by what i said this is a breat step in the right direction. I think Mr Obama will be a huge boon to our community... (wow never really said that outloud before.."our community" feels good) anyway, although he stated he is opposed to gay marriage, I think his heart is in the right place with this proclamation and his statements at the end. Feels good to have our president acknowledge us.

Guest Evan_J

My feet hurt :D

And its a fantastic "feet hurt".

Today was the local pride festival.

I worked the morning hours so that I could just be in the crowd in the afternoon.

And as it happens , I signed a petition about those very items at pride :)

Wow.

Guest Donna Jean
My feet hurt :D

And its a fantastic "feet hurt".

Today was the local pride festival.

I worked the morning hours so that I could just be in the crowd in the afternoon.

And as it happens , I signed a petition about those very items at pride :)

Wow.

Proud is the opposite of "ashamed"

Meant to imply a lack of feeling the need to "cover one's face" socially

The ability to feel that as an individual you are worthy, and good, and valued all the while accepting who and what you are

It is recognizing that, as a group, you have contributed, endured, and often overcome, whether in great volumes or small increments

You really say that with a grace and conviction...so many of us have contributed to society other that being "Trans".......We just happen to be that, too.....

OMG, Evan....

Good for you, Hon...You give of your time and energy for a cause that affects us all....

Oh, my....

Here, sit down...Let Dee Jay rub your feet.......

HUGG

Donna Jean

Guest 1charlotte1
WOOO!!! *swings shirt above head* PARTY ALL NIGHT LONG! :D *dances* O=) okay I'm only a LITTLE excited about LGBT Pride month. ^_^ It's about time. I never celebrated Trans pride stuff before. o.o

So, with this new president, do you all think in the next few years that there will be more Trans Anti-discrimination laws? More rights?

I really hope so. The fact that I can lose my job because and only because I

trans is completely against what this country says it believes in. Soooooo stupid!!! I hate it! Y?y?

Some people view and treat us as inhuman creatures. It really hurts. So I hope so!

(actually started to cry about this) Charlotte

Guest Irielle

wow, I just realized that all those letters (LGBT) fit me :lol:

I'm androgynous, my brain both male and female, more female than male. I'm bisexual. My male side likes both guys and girls. My female side likes both girls and guys. I guess that counts as being lesbian and gay. I also must be a straight guy and also a straight girl so I guess have an extra letter. :) I'm transgendered because my gender doesn't match my physical body (I'm GB).

I'm going to have my own parade!!! w00t! :lol: Everyone's invited!!

Guest joe0117

Happy Pride Everyone! I hope a lot of positive changes come with this administation!

Boston is celebrating GLBT pride this week - They raised the rainbow flag at City Hall Plaza last Friday. They have all sorts of events all week like Pride Day with family friendly events at Faneuil Hall, dances AIDS walk, they have Pride Idol contest, crown the King and Queen of the Pride pageant, lesbians on bikes (actual name would be the derogertory of lesbian but rhymes with bikes - take that word filter :P ) There are lots of other events and events at clubs all leads up to next Saturday Pride Parade - one of the biggest in the country! Last year more than 500,000 in attendance - Go Boston!!! After the parade there is a festival, block parties, events at all the GLBT clubs...The next day there is a closing ceremony. I think it is pretty cool!!!

Boston is also bidding to be the site for the 2014 Gay Games!!! "I Love That Dirty Water - Boston You're My Home" :P

Joe

Guest Evan_J
Happy Pride Everyone! I hope a lot of positive changes come with this administation!

Boston is celebrating GLBT pride this week - They raised the rainbow flag at City Hall Plaza last Friday. They have all sorts of events all week like Pride Day with family friendly events at Faneuil Hall, dances AIDS walk, they have Pride Idol contest, crown the King and Queen of the Pride pageant, lesbians on bikes (actual name would be the derogertory of lesbian but rhymes with bikes - take that word filter :P ) There are lots of other events and events at clubs all leads up to next Saturday Pride Parade - one of the biggest in the country! Last year more than 500,000 in attendance - Go Boston!!! After the parade there is a festival, block parties, events at all the GLBT clubs...The next day there is a closing ceremony. I think it is pretty cool!!!

Boston is also bidding to be the site for the 2014 Gay Games!!! "I Love That Dirty Water - Boston You're My Home" :P

Joe

Yep lol lesbians on bikes came through here too. You know thats a national organization with local chapters :mellow: . Somehow its "official" when they arrive with all them motorcycles :huh:

I'm proud to be transgender and am not ashamed of it. I am out in public quite a bit. I will be in the march here in New York City because transgender people need to be visible. I have been working to present a more favorable view of transgender people. I believe that a speaking engagement I have coming up on June 23rd will be a start.

This week is Brooklyn Pride week and I'll be going to the Saturday events. To me it's important to support these events. It's the chance for me to present myself as an openly transgender person.

Gennee

:D

Joe

I remember that song! The Standells-1966.

Gennee