• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

First Makeup Session

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I recently found myself alone at home for a couple of hours, so I decided to take the plunge into makeup for the first time.

I viewed the short instructional DVD that came with the makeup kit, tried to pretend I was the model in the video, and...

put on the various skin conditioners, highlighters and blushes, and best of all some light pink lip gloss.

I felt strange but at the same time so thrilled and happily satisfied. :) Wearing the lip gloss felt so natural that I wish I could wear some all the time.

I didn't think I had the time to do my eyes, so I'll wait on that. I was extremely nervous the whole time about someone coming home early.

In order to feel really good about makeup, though, I think I need to figure out a way to get a wig. I called a wig store recently just to browse and check on styles and colors, and asked the sales person if they catered to transgender folks. I got a resounding NO, so I didn't bother with that store any more. I'll find another I'm sure.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience. It was such great fun I can't wait to do it again. :D

Carolyn Marie

Guest Elizabeth K

Make up is an art - and it depends a lot on concealer nd foundtion matching your skin tones. the actual 'color" is someting that varies and it can change by season and by your age approptiateness, so there is lot of room for experimention. Naturl lip gloss in a semigloss can be worn all the time - if questioned, its chapstick or a windprotection salve, because you have a dry lip condition - which is usually true anyway.

A KEY

Make sure you see yourself in full daylight before you venture out.

And I am shocked the wig store gave you that reaction! WOW

Lizzy

Guest Donna Jean
In order to feel really good about makeup, though, I think I need to figure out a way to get a wig. I called a wig store recently just to browse and check on styles and colors, and asked the sales person if they catered to transgender folks. I got a resounding NO, so I didn't bother with that store any more. I'll find another I'm sure.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience. It was such great fun I can't wait to do it again. :D

Carolyn Marie

Well, good for you, Sweetheart!

At least you have the video for teaching...it takes effort and practice!~

And the wig store store is unbelievable! In this day and time to deny ANY potential customers????? OMG...

I cannot believe THAT! Bite their nose to spite their face.......!!

Or to put it more sucinctly.....STUPID!

There are lots of options for wigs out there, Hon...There Internet has plenty...although trying it on would be preferable! I like to see how they look first...

Check around...there are other places...

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Emily H

You are so lucky hun, getting a makeup kit like that first off, and now trying it out- good for you! Of course thats me, the part about worrying somebody will be home early- Always such a shame, makeup takes such a long time for my mom, and many other women I'm sure, so for girls like you and I, we deserve as much time as we want! Its every girl's right.

I hope all goes well for you, and I can only hope I will have that courage you do- perhaps during the summer for me, more time alone after all...:)

whoever gave you that NO, hm, every guy instinct in me would have yelled and screamed at 'em for being so....huh, no word for it really, or at least I can't think of it right now. Though, as a lady, I probably mighttt have used a bit of profanity in that conversation... ;) But really, sorry to hear, for you and them, they will be losing a great customer.

Written as a girl, who deserves to express herself, like everybody else does. :)

Thank you for sharing, Carolyn. I learned to do make up by trial and error. Read magazines and observed makeup sessions in department stores. I'm doing some experimenting with different shades. It's amazing what a little creativity can do.

Gennee

:D

Guest Rebecca Quentin

I'm currently buying up all the make-up bits & pieces, doesn't come cheap when you need to stock up! I am lucky though that I have several female friends who are helping me by giving me make-up lessons, one of whom is a make-up artist, another is a photographer (and is very happy to give me a free photoshoot very soon now). So I'm in very good hands I think.

Also, agree that it just takes a bit of practice with the make-up to see what works for you/want doesn't, and yes, definately do it in plenty of natural daylight so you can properly see how it looks.

Guest julia_d

I can't believe in these economic times a store would turn away a customer.. I have never had that except in a very expensive clothes store.. they were very embarrassed when I turned round and showed them their "oh so very exclusive and expensive" label in the top I was wearing.

Result.. not only did they lose my custom from there on, they also lost a celebrity clothes horse... I was always being asked at concerts and receptions where my dresses came from. hahahahaha

• Admin
I'm currently buying up all the make-up bits & pieces, doesn't come cheap when you need to stock up! I am lucky though that I have several female friends who are helping me by giving me make-up lessons, one of whom is a make-up artist, another is a photographer (and is very happy to give me a free photoshoot very soon now). So I'm in very good hands I think.

Oh, Rebecca, you are sooo lucky, and I am sooo jealous! Have 'em come over to my house when they're

done with you, OK? :rolleyes:

Carolyn

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rachael1
Oh, Rebecca, you are sooo lucky, and I am sooo jealous! Have 'em come over to my house when they're

done with you, OK? :rolleyes:

Carolyn

Can you send them over to my place as well?

I practice whenever I get the chance, I love letting Rachael loose and experimenting with different looks. :D

Still a long way to go yet, still haven't quite mastered the art of applying eye liner. B)

Hugs

Rachael

Guest Donna Jean

Oh my....

I don't want to make everyone jealous (well, yes I do) but....

After I came out to my wife......

One day she came and got me and said "Come with me..."

We went into the living room where she had a card table set up with a chair on either side, two mirrors set up and her makeup next to one and my new makeup next to the other...

She said "You're going to need to know how to do this and I don't want you to do a clown face!"

So, step by step she showed me application, blending, colors, etc...she would do it first and then it was my turn....

OMG, Girls...it was amazing!

Looking at my face slowly becoming nicer and yet very subtle differences! Just right!

I was SO proud!

Later that evening she said..."UHhhh...you can take it off now....."....lol

I didn't want to!

Now I can get my face on in 15 minutes....and I even use a little powder on my nose every day for work....(I'm not out there, yet!)

Donna Jean

• Admin
Now I can get my face on in 15 minutes....and I even use a little powder on my nose every day for work....(I'm not out there, yet!)

Donna Jean

WOW, that's wonderful, Donna Jean.

Won't it be great when you get to the day you can put your makeup on in the morning, go

to work, and not take it off until bedtime? That will be one to celebrate, won't it?

I just hope your wife won't be too jealous!

Carolyn Marie

Guest Charlene_Leona

I can't believe the wig shop gave you that response, when that happens to me I tell them I will make sure that I tell everyone I know not to do business as well as putting their info on the internet for the world to see what kind of fools they are. After all customers are the reason they are there and in this economy you don't turn away any customers.

As for your makeup keep it light I recommend mineral makeup, I personally like I.D. Bare Minerals they are the the best but I have found some very good mineral makeup by JANE they are the most inexpensive on the market but there mineral makeup is great and considering we are on a tight budget it's important to find the best for a reasonable price. As for concealer you really need to experiment with all the different types out there because they cover differently each of them. For me I just found Physician Formula Concealer to be the best for me. There are many though and find the right match for your tone of skin. As for eye color I recommend Almay intense Eye color powder shadow, they have a line out for each eye color and following there lead there works. I do recommend staying away from Blue eye shadow unless you have blond hair and blue eye's otherwise you will look like a clown, thats a promise.

If anyone needs any pointers I will be very happy to help you out. Just PM me and ask away.

• Admin

Thanks, Charlene_Leona. I appreciate the tips.

I'm way past the wig store thing. I found a couple of other shops in the region who advertise in

trans web sites so I'm sure they will be welcoming. Their gain, the other store's loss.

There are a lot of great resources out there, you just have to find 'em.

Carolyn Marie

Guest rachael1
Oh my....

I don't want to make everyone jealous (well, yes I do) but....

Oh Donna,

You are so mean. :P

I wish my wife was likes yours in supporting you to the level she does.

She has never taken the initiative in my dressing, although she did buy me a pair of heels once on impulse.

The only problem was they were a size too small, she took them back but didn't bring home another pair. :angry:

Hugs

Rachael