• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Caitlyn Did it!

MelanieTamara

I think it is phenominal that a transgendered individual is running for political office. This isn't just an appointment of a transgendered individual made in the name of "wokeness". Rather, it will be a true bellwether of people's acceptance and understanding of transgendered individuals. I think it is exciting.

http://caitlynjenner.com/

• Admin

She will not be supported by the Trans Communities here in California, due to the party she is representing and because of her relations with it as a whole.  Our Trans population is largely POC whom she is too distant from and not supportive for.  She also is clueless about the differences between Private Business  and Public Administration which has caused expensive trouble for the state under prior administrations of people from her party.  The duties of Government are things that the private business sector cannot perform.  As expensive as government running its own needed services, having public sector "for profit" businesses end up costing us far more.  I have been in gatherings where Caitlin was present and she has good qualities and really a good heart, but she would be a poor choice for Governor, and I think she will not make a good showing for us.

• Admin

California is a far different place than it was in Arnold Schwarzenegger's day.  Any Republican will have a hell of a difficult time of it, assuming that Gov. Newsom is recalled, which IMO is not a bet I would want to make.  There are a couple of far better qualified R's than Caitlyn.  She is doing this for publicity, IMO, which is far more important to her than any other consideration, and always has been.  If she had ever wanted to "serve the people" she could have demonstrated that long ago. 

@VickySGVis correct about how the community feels about her, certainly in CA, and from what I've read, nationwide.  Yes, it's good to see trans folk run for office; there is a trans woman running for L.A. City Council.  But being trans and being a retired sports figure are hardly reasons to run, or a reason for my vote.

Carolyn Marie

2 hours ago, VickySGV said:

She will not be supported by the Trans Communities here in California

1 hour ago, Carolyn Marie said:

@VickySGVis correct about how the community feels about her, certainly in CA

My jaw has dropped. I would think a pro-small government, low tax, socially liberal, somewhat libertarian (ie you do you and that's fine) candidate would be exciting. Imagine the access the CA Trans community and LGB would have......to someone actually knowlegeable about the issues where an entire history doesn't have to be presented at every meeting.

I think people are giving the Republican thing too much weight. The republican party isn't going to change her, she's going to change the republican party. That's a good thing.

p.s. i'm in New England so.... I hate taxes and I hate big, do nothing government that regardless of whether D or R, still has every cause begging for funds. Hardly anyone's needs are being met except the politicians.

• Root Admin

I hate taxes and I hate big, do nothing government that regardless of whether D or R, still has every cause begging for funds. Hardly anyone's needs are being met except the politicians.

You nailed it.

First, I do not live or vote in California.

And I've never really followed Caitlyn's life.

While I like to see transpeople in politics, I think policies are important.  We are not a monolithic voting bloc, and I appreciate others have differing views than myself.

1 hour ago, MelanieTamara said:

I would think a pro-small government, low tax, socially liberal, somewhat libertarian (ie you do you and that's fine) candidate would be exciting.

I'm not sure this actually describes the Republican party these days.  There was a time when I was fairly sympathetic to the party, but they've succeeded in alienating me.   

I'm not saying that the Democrats are without their problems - grifters are grifters.

1 hour ago, MelanieTamara said:

I think people are giving the Republican thing too much weight. The republican party isn't going to change her, she's going to change the republican party.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

The current republican party is engaging in a nationally coordinated attack on the trans community in many states as I write.   Knowing this, it is hard for me to understand a transperson being part of it.

1 hour ago, Jandi said:

The current republican party is engaging in a nationally coordinated attack on the trans community in many states as I write…

I meant to add "Including my own [state]".    But it somehow posted before I was ready… computers… sheesh!

• Admin
3 hours ago, MelanieTamara said:

My jaw has dropped. I would think a pro-small government, low tax, socially liberal, somewhat libertarian (ie you do you and that's fine) candidate would be exciting. Imagine the access the CA Trans community and LGB would have......to someone actually knowlegeable about the issues where an entire history doesn't have to be presented at every meeting.

If your visions were true as far as she goes, it would be a different story.  At the minute the California Trans community has gotten our stories through to our legislators in the past years, and things other states dream of in small pockets are the norm here.  All insurance plans in the state MUST have coverage for Trans people,  @Carolyn Marie and I are driving distance friends IRL and both of us have given special presentations to the USC Keck Medical School that have been wonderful times and other friends of ours who are not here on the Forums have done the same at the other University Level  Schools in the State.  One Trans woman who is part of the crowd I know and I think CM does too is getting her PHD in Gender Studies and becoming a department head at the University of California in Santa Barbara, another Trans woman is a Professor at California State College Fullerton and is teaching Black History and Trans history courses that are getting enthusiastic enrollment and participation.  Two northern Colleges are the academic homes of Dr. Susan Stryker who is the godmother of Trans History in general, and Julia Serano who wrote the sociological analysis of Trans vs. Feminists (Whipping Girl) has educated parts of our Society. Two historic events in Trans history, the Compton's Cafeteria Riots in San Francisco and Coopers Donuts Riots in Los Angeles in the 60's have made Trans people active in the state for half a century.  I have two of my local legislators who have contacted me as well.  In a nutshell, Caitlin is not really needed as a force for Transgender visibility and input here in the state, we have it pretty good. 

Caitlin's major frictions are in the Non White racial communities and in the lower income white communities where she does not have support due to her rich and famous status which they feel she flaunts over them.  She had not made any inroads into those communities who need to be brought into any election situation.  This was discussed at length when Trans Members of those communities approached Caitlin for the purpose of providing input about those elements of our society and ran up against a brick wall between her ears on them.  Yes too we have large corporations in the state crying that they pay too many taxes, and we do have others who will cry overtaxation if they have to file Income Tax returns to get refunds of withholding. overall though the Multi State Tax Commission ranks CA in the lower half of state tax burdens, so the best we can do is to keep from fouling it up as has happened when attempts to make even lower tax situations happen to our economy.  I mentioned above that I have been at events with Caitlin and with groups conversing with her (she vaguely recognizes me in those) but I have experience in government management and recognize that she does not have it and will not seek it.  The line from a well known musical about rich people "if you are rich people really think you know" which is not true.   Caitlin is a goodhearted person but she has been a major problem to the Trans community instead of someone helpful and representative of Trans.  There are other Trans people who are qualified for politics, Sarah McBride of the Delaware State Senate, Danica Roem of Virginia legislature and others have the social and Public Administration skills and community support of CIS and Trans which is years away from our current subject.  We know Caitlin but she is not government leadership material at this point.

Wow, it's nice to see the leadership.  You all are certainly qualified, in fact probably overqualified, to run the state (not just Trans issues).

Something did bother me in your post however....

14 hours ago, VickySGV said:

I mentioned above that I have been at events with Caitlin and with groups conversing with her (she vaguely recognizes me in those) but I have experience in government management and recognize that she does not have it and will not seek it. 

That is troubling that Caitlyn doesn't know the fighters ie the grassroots. If she doesn't take the time to get to know people who are engaged in the issues closest to her, how will she fare in other general government issues. Could be a red flag.

Also that she won't seek help on government management issues which she appears to be deficient. Certainly that is cause for concern as well.

The "rich" issue doesn't bother me as much. All politicians of high visibility are usually loaded with cash. It's just today's version of american politics. Us wage earners need not apply.

As for visibility, It's good to know that CA visibility on Trans issues is just fine. I do think however her "reality show" personna/visibility just might make some politician in the south think before signing all those anti-trans bills.  After all, it appears the requirement for president/governor in the first couple of decades in the 21st century is "Reality Show Cast Member."

Regardless, it is going to be interesting.

• Forum Moderator

Sadly I am not a fan of Caitlyn. I think she is too egocentric and not a good representative of the LGBTQ community. She seems to be playing off her celebrity more so than for our cause.  I am however extremely proud of the following:

1990s[edit]

• Joanne Marie Conte, elected to Arvada, Colorado's City Council in 1991.[3]
  • Althea Garrison (R), Massachusetts House of Representatives from the 5th Suffolk District - 1992. Garrison is the first transgender person to serve in state legislation, however, not openly. She was later outed. In 2018, Garrison took office again when Ayanna Pressley was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives. She was appointed as the at-large representative for the City Council of Boston.[4]

2000s[edit]

Amanda Simpson, United States
Kim Coco Iwamoto, United States
Lauren Scott, United States
  • Amanda Simpson, Commissioner of the City of Tucson Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Commission - 2001. Later Simpson was elected or appointed to many different positions from Precinct Committeeperson up to serving as Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Operational Energy from 2015 until January 2017.[5][6]
  • Claire Elizabeth Hall, Commissioner of Lincoln County, Oregon - 2004. Hall transitioned in June 2018 while serving as commissioner.[7]
  • Michelle Bruce, City Council Member of Riverdale, Georgia - 2004. Bruce was sued by her political opponents for fraud because she allegedly misled voters concerning her gender. The Georgia Supreme Court ruled in favor of Bruce.[8]
  • Jessica Orsini, Alderwoman of the Centralia, Missouri Municipal Council - 2006.[9]
  • Kim Coco Iwamoto, Member of Hawaii Board of Education - 2006. Iwamoto was later appointed to the Hawaii Council of Human Affairs.[10]
  • Stu Rasmussen, Mayor of Silverton, Oregon - 2008.[4]

2010s[edit]

• Victoria Kolakowski, Superior Court Judge of Alameda County, California, Superior Court - 2010. First transgender person elected judge.[11]
  • Stacie Laughton, New Hampshire House of Representatives. Though Laughton was the first openly transgender person elected to state legislature, she was forced to resign before taking office after past felonies became public - 2012.[12]
  • Lauren Scott, Commissioner of Nevada Equal Rights Commission - 2012.[13]
  • Barbra Casbar Siperstein, Member of the Democratic National Committee (New Jersey) - 2012.[14]
  • Vered Meltzer, City Council in Appleton, Wisconsin, District 2 - 2014.[15][16]
  • Aime Wichtendahl - elected to the Hiawatha, Iowa, City Council - 2015. She is the first openly trans-woman elected to government in Iowa.[17]
  • Jordan Evans, Board of Trustees of the Public Library for Charlton, Massachusetts - 2016.[18]
  • Jess Herbst, Mayor of New Hope, and first openly trans mayor to hold office in Texas, though not elected - 2016.[19]
  • Jay Irwin, School Board Member of Ralston, Nebraska. First openly trans man to be elected to office - 2016.[20]

2017[edit]

Danica Roem, United States
Andrea Jenkins, United States
Phillipe Cunningham, United States

On November 7, 2017, eight transgender individuals were elected to public office. This is the most transgender individuals elected to office in a single day.[22]

2018[edit]

2019[edit]

• Brianna Westbrook, Vice-Chair of the Democratic Party of Arizona - First transgender person to be elected a vice-chair of a state Democratic Party.[30]
  • Michelle Risher, First Vice-Chair of the Democratic Party of Oregon (DPO)[31]
  • Brandy Fortson, member of the Corvallis, Oregon School Board (non-binary)[32]
  • Ashley Shade, Treasurer of the Massachusetts Libertarian Party. She is the first transgender person to be elected treasurer of a Libertarian State Party and first elected Transgender State Party Officer in Massachusetts. Elected July 14, 2019.[33]
  • Donna Price, Vice-Chair of the Albemarle County, Virginia Board of Supervisors (Scottsville Magisterial District). The first transgender Supervisor and second elected public official in the State. Elected November 2019.[34]
  • Aime Wichtendahl - is re-elected to the Hiawatha City Council, running unopposed. [35]

2020[edit]

• Rosemary Ketchum, elected to Wheeling, West Virginia's City Council on June 9, 2020. The first out trans person to be elected to public office in the State. Elected June 2020.[36]
  • Pluto Brand, Elected to State Chair of the Indiana Green Party. First Trans/Intersex person to be the leader of a State Political Party in the State of Indiana see 2018 Elected Vice-Chair of the Indiana Green Party[29]
  • Blaizen Bloom, Elected to Press-Secretary of the Green Party of Virginia (non-binary)[37]
  • Taylor Small, Elected to Vermont House of Representatives, representing Winooski and Burlington (Chittenden 6-7 district).
  • Christopher Kalcich, Elected to Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania's Borough Council. The first transgender elected official in Snyder County and Central PA.[38][39]
  • Sarah McBride, elected to the Delaware state senate on November 3, 2020 and sworn in January 12, 2021. First transgender state senator in United States history.[40][41]
  • Michelle Risher, Democratic National Committee (DNC) member from the Democratic Party of Oregon’s (DPO)[42]
  • Mauree Turner, elected to the Oklahoma State House of Representatives. They are the first non-binary state legislator.[43]
  • Ashley Shade, Chair of the Massachusetts Libertarian Party. She is the first transgender person to be elected Chair of a State Party in Massachusetts. Elected March 20, 2021.[44]

Canada[edit]

Micheline Montreuil, Canada
Estefania Cortes-Vargas, Canada

Cuba[edit]

South America[edit]

Tamara Adrián, Venezuela

Argentina[edit]

• Mara Pérez Reynoso, holder of the non-discrimination area in the Ministry of Security, first transgender public official in Argentina's government - 2016.[55]

Brazil[edit]

Chile[edit]

Ecuador[edit]

Peru[edit]

Uruguay[edit]

Venezuela[edit]

Europe[edit]

Camile Cabral, France
Jenny Bailey, United Kingdom
Vladimir Luxruia, Italy
Carla Antonelli, Spain
Petra De Sutter, Belgium

Germany[edit]

• Christian Schenk, Member of the Bundestag for the Independent Women’s Association Party - 1990.[62]
  • Tessa Ganserer[63]

France[edit]

United Kingdom[edit]

Italy[edit]

Spain[edit]

Sweden[edit]

• Alexandra Ward-Slotte, Councillor in the municipality of Stenungsund for the liberal-conservative Moderate party. LGBTQ-activist and Vice president of west pride.[75]
  • Lukas Romson, Swedish politician for the Socialdemocratic party. Brother of Åsa Romson, former deputy prime minister.[76]

Poland[edit]

Portugal[edit]

Belgium[edit]

• Petra De Sutter, Belgian Senate member - 2014. Belgian Minister for Civil Servants and Government Institutions - 2020 [78][79]

Netherlands[edit]

Asia[edit]

Aya Kamikawa, Japan
Yollada Suanyot, Thailand

India[edit]

• Shabnam Bano (aka Shabnam "Mausi"), Member of the Madhya Pradesh State Legislative Assembly - 1998.[81]
  • Kamla Jaan, Mayor of Katni, central Madhya Pradesh. Elected in 2000, she was India's first transgender mayor.[82][83] In 2002, a judge in Madhya Pradesh ruled that she was legally male and could not hold an office reserved for women.[84]
  • Asha Devi, Mayor of Gorakhpur, eastern Uttar Pradesh - 2001.
  • Kamla Kinnar (aka Kamla "Bua"), Mayor of Sagar, Madhya Pradesh - 2009.[85]
  • Madhu Kinnar, Mayor of the Raigarh Municipal Corporation - 2015.

Indonesia[edit]

• Kety Haji Jalla, member of the People's Representative Council (2009-2014) for North Maluku.
  • Hendrika Mayora Victoria, member of the Village Representative Council for Habi Village, East Nusa Tenggara.

Japan[edit]

Taiwan[edit]

Thailand[edit]

Malaysia[edit]

Sri Lanka[edit]

Philippines[edit]

Oceania[edit]

Georgina Beyer, New Zealand

New Zealand[edit]

• Georgina Beyer, Carterton District Council and later a seat in Parliament - 1993.[4]

• 1 month later...
  • Admin
2 hours ago, Ellie Jean said:

...How exactly is the Republican party engaging in a nationally coordinated attack on the trans community in multiple states??? XD

Perhaps this will answer your question, Ellie Jean:  https://www.hrc.org/press-releases/breaking-2021-becomes-record-year-for-anti-transgender-legislation

When all 82 pieces of legislation were introduced in states with Republican legislators and Republican governors, and when many if not most of those pieces of legislation were written with the aid of, and often by, the same 2-3 anti-trans hate groups like the Heritage Foundation and the ADF, then it becomes a "nationally coordinated" attack by one political party.  Clear and convincing evidence?  I'd say so.

Carolyn Marie

I’m sorry but if you’re in a party that has enough people in it to pass transphobic laws in several states and is fighting to pass dozens more in other states it’s the official position of that party. If it was a couple bills in a couple states, sure, you can nitpick the definition of nationwide or coordinated, but you can wave away what’s happening because you think the party is secretly on our side. 

It is possible that an actual majority of conservatives think this is stupid grandstanding, but there is no denying that it is happening.   
And that “majority” refuses to call them out.  

• Forum Moderator

Yeah, I think I see the disconnect. Most conservative PEOPLE are perfectly rational. Unfortunately, a large number of Republican POLITICIANS are trying to roll back LGBTQ+ rights with a special emphasis on trans people to appease the EVANGELICAL voting block that they, unfortunately, need to win elections.

I can't say if the people in power actually care about us one way or another, but Republican POLITICIANS have a serious hate-on for us right now.

Note that I'm not calling out conservative politicians in general here. America, unfortunately, is in the grip of two conservative parties. No matter what you think of Democrats, something like 70% of them still support a conservative economic model. They're just less likely to check what genitals we were born with before we go to the track meet.

Hugs!

"According to data from the Human Rights Campaign, one of the nation's largest LGBTQ advocacy groups, at least 117 bills have been introduced in the current legislative session that target the transgender community. It's the highest number the organization has recorded since it began tracking anti-LGBTQ legislation more than 15 years ago."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/15/politics/anti-transgender-legislation-2021/index.html

"Thirty-three states have introduced more than 100 bills that aim to curb the rights of transgender people"

There's only 50 states….      So like, 66% ?

• Admin

There are going to be differences of opinion on all of this and our rules do say that bashing people whether elected official or fellow members, corporate officers and the whole bunch is forbidden here.  If you doubt another person's source of information post what your own source describes and say it is your source.  This is an ADMINISTRATOR'S OFFICIAL WARNING.  We will monitor this topic and take needed steps to cool it down.

• Root Admin

Community rule # 6  The following behavior is strictly forbidden everywhere on the site: flame wars, trolling, deliberately provoking arguments, intentionally insulting others or yourself. 

1 hour ago, MaryEllen said:

Community rule # 6  The following behavior is strictly forbidden everywhere on the site: flame wars, trolling, deliberately provoking arguments, intentionally insulting others or yourself. 

2 hours ago, VickySGV said:

There are going to be differences of opinion on all of this and our rules do say that bashing people whether elected official or fellow members, corporate officers and the whole bunch is forbidden here.  If you doubt another person's source of information post what your own source describes and say it is your source.  This is an ADMINISTRATOR'S OFFICIAL WARNING.  We will monitor this topic and take needed steps to cool it down.

Two excellent posts.  Bashing of individuals, LGBTQ+ populations, racial or ethnic groups, religious or denominational affiliations, entire political parties, social groups, et. al is (& should be) a prerogative forbidden to all members of this forum whether they be rank & file, moderators, or administrators.

Interesting thread.

I think the trans community should get behind her as being supportive of a trans person 

12 hours ago, Ellie Jean said:

But...it was just a couple (okay, a few) bills in a few states.

That's what I was referring to.

I also said this…

13 hours ago, Jandi said:

It is possible that an actual majority of conservatives think this is stupid grandstanding

I'm sorry if I've been offensive.  I didn't want to be.  The larger font was just how it got pasted and I was too lazy to change it.

• 1 month later...
  • Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 188 Guests (See full list)

• April Marie
    • MaryEllen
    • MaybeRob
    • VickySGV
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • Betty K
    • Timi
    • Vidanjali