• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Cost Of Top Surgery In Canada

Guest maplepower

Guest maplepower

Hi everyone,

I recieved this Word document as an answer to my request for information about fees for top surgery here in Canada. This does not include travel, hotel/residence or other expenses obviously which may be quite a bit if you need to make 3 trips...

Montreal, May 2009

In reply to your request, it is with pleasure that I send you the following information concerning mastectomy surgery for transsexuals (female to male).

CRITERIA FOR ELIGIBILITY

This surgery can be performed only if the patient is recommended by a behavorial scientist with whom the patient has a well established psychotherapeutic relationship.

The patient has the responsibility to see that the behavioral scientist have the necessary qualifications that they are clearly stated in the recommendation letter. The medical history and the recommendation letter for mastectomy must be well detailed and arrive at my office before a date can be set for the surgery. Also, I wish a report from the Doctor who is supervising the hormonal therapy as to the type of hormones being administered, the dosage and the duration of the treatment. Please also send me a recent photograph of yourself.

The patient has the responsibility to see that the behavioral scientist has the necessary qualifications that they are clearly stated in the recommendation letter.

The medical history and the recommendation letter for mastectomy must be well detailed and must arrive at my office before a date can be set for the surgery. Also, I wish a report from the Doctor who is supervising the hormonal therapy as to the type of hormones being administered, the dosage and the duration of the treatment. Please also send me a recent photograph of yourself.

PRE OPERATIVE CONSULTATION

It is preferable to meet with the patient a few months prior to surgery to discuss procedure and post operative care. The cost of the consultation is $50.00 payable cash, Visa or MasterCard. However, if the patient lives very far from Montreal, it is possible to meet a few days prior to surgery. If the latter is the case, the patient's file must be complete: the recommendation letter, the laboratory reports and the medical history must be at my office before the visit. If a document is missing, the surgery could be cancelled.

-2-

PRE OPERATIVE ANALYSIS

As this is a major surgical procedure, under general anesthesia, the patient must pass the following exams about two months before the date of the surgery and the results of these exams must be sent to my office three weeks prior the date set for the surgery. Without these tests results, there will be no surgery.

Following is a list of the obligatory tests:

- CBC (complete blood count)

- BUN (blood urea nitrogen)

- Glucose (blood sugar)

- Urine analysis

- E.C.G. (over 40 years of age)

- H.I.V.

Unfortunately we are sorry to inform our prospective patients that insulino-dependant diabetic patients will not be accepted for surgery.

This systemic disease is for our Center a contraindication for major procedures because of the absence of competent consultants in the field of endocrinology.

GRS insulino-dependant diabetic patients should be performed in major hospitals where all the internal medicine expertise is available.

Thank you for your comprehension.

HOSPITALIZATION

You enter the hospital around 7:00 a.m. the day of your surgery and you stay for the night. You must remain in Montreal until we will remove the drains. Also, the patient must buy an abdominal binder, e.g. Dale # 410 which he must wear three weeks post-op. to compress the operated area. With regard to your stay post-hospitalization, we are enclosing information on our residence care.

SURGICAL TECHNIQUE

This surgery is usually performed under general anaesthesia. The operation lasts approximately 1 to 2 hours. Generally, the incision is made around the areola so as to have the smallest possible scar. However, in the case of large or drooping breasts (ptosis), there will be a surplus of skin following the mastectomy. It is preferable to let it heal so for 9 to 12 months. In the course of this period the skin will retract in part and the

-3-

excess skin may then be removed under local anaesthesia. If such a procedure is necessary, you must expect more visible scars (most often an inverted T). The need for a second intervention will most often be seen at the pre-op examination or immediately following the mastectomy. The cost of a revision is not included in the cost of the initial mastectomy.

Also, it is very important that the patient is not overweight before the mastectomy so that the breasts are as small as possible.

COST

The total for the surgery, anaesthesia, hospitalization, and your pre and post operative stay at the residence care is $7,600.00. Once a date has been set for the surgery, you must send a $1,200.00 deposit within the following 15 days or the date will not be reserved. If you cancel your operation less than 4 weeks prior to the date settled, your deposit will not be reimbursed. The balance is payable 4 weeks before your surgery. All payments must be made in cash, certified check or bank draft to CLINIQUE DE CHIRURGIE ESTHETIQUE ST-JOSEPH for Dr Menard and GESTION ELIJEAN for Dr Brassard.

The cost for 2nd step surgery is $2,950.00 including, surgery, local anesthesia and 2 nights in residence care.

YOUR STAY IN MONTREAL

Your stay in Montreal should be 5 nights: 1 night at residence before and 3 nights after and, 1 night at the clinic.

To make your recovery more pleasant and secure, we have a convalescence residence for pre and post-operative period. They supply care, lodging and meals. Do not forget that post-operatively you will need help and it is the only place where you will receive adequate, professional care. It will be possible to have companying with you at the residence. Fee for one night including 3 meals is $ 170. The address of the residence care is 908 Gouin ouest Montreal, Qc H3L 1K8 Phone number is: 514 333 1572.

-4-

ADDITIONAL SURGERIES

If you wish an additional surgery at the time of your mastectomy (e.g. nose, eyelid surgery, etc.) you must contact my office and we will give you the additional information and cost for these surgeries.

I hope that this information will be to your satisfaction. Feel free to contact my personnel for additional inquiries.

Yours truly,

Sonia Zilifian

Medical secretary

For: YVON MÉNARD,M.D., F.R.C.S.©

PIERRE BRASSARD M.D., F.R.C.S.©