• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How do you know which is the best colors to use?

KymmieL

• Forum Moderator

I am wanting to start the make-up portion of my transition.  But I don't know what would be a proper color for me. Concealer, Etc. Maybe on Monday after I get my second shot. I will venture to Ulta beauty and see what I can find. I am working on gathering items.

Kymmie

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, KymmieL said:

I am wanting to start the make-up portion of my transition.  But I don't know what would be a proper color for me. Concealer, Etc. Maybe on Monday after I get my second shot. I will venture to Ulta beauty and see what I can find. I am working on gathering items.

Kymmie

I cornered someone who is good at makeup, paid her money and got her opinions on colors. I haven't had a chance to put any of those things into practice because COVID and then "Job that doesn't allow makeup," but hopes remain high.

Sephora also has trans-women-friendly classes from time to time. You can get a consultation if you don't have someone who is good at makeup in your life to get pointers from.

Youtube tutorials are also very useful for figuring out what you want to do. One of my personal favorites, Samantha Lux, has several videos where she talks while she's putting on her glam look. I've seen the transition and... I'm pretty sure she's a witch.

Hugs!

• Admin

Your foundation / concealer should be very close in color to the inside of your forearm, which is a great place to test it.  If you are going to Ulta, their personnel in the store can help you test it, and they do a good job.  For most of the rest of your stuff, you are just going to have to try it on to see what looks good TO YOU.  Things like Eye shadow come in "palettes" with several colors in the set.  Some of it will depend on your skin color as to what will look best.  I am light complected and so my eye shadow choices are light browns, golds, light gray.   There will be color charts there at the store.  As I said, Ulta Beauty's employees are very helpful and company policy is Trans Positive so have fun working with them, you'll do fine FINDING your unique colors.

• 1 month later...

I found a number of Youtube videos regarding colors.  The color wheel will help you decide eye shadow colors that will make your eyes stand out.  Basically, you look across the wheel.  I have brown eyes, so cool colors like blue and lavender work for me.  A person with blue eyes can use hot colors like red, pink and orange.  Browns, deep gray and blacks can work for almost anyone.  I also found good videos with recomendations for blush tones, and lipstick colors.  I usually wear more peach colors for lips and blush.

I should also add that my local Sephora was great with helping me get started.  Sephora is a little pricey, but the service was awesome.

Kymmie,

Splurge and seek out a makeup consultant.  It took me years and lots of trial and error to find shades that worked for me.  Looking back on it, I wish I had sought out a consultant.  I'm certain it would have minimized my frustration and it would have prevented the exorbitant expense of all those products I purchased, that didn't work for me. 

You'd think finding a foundation that matches your skin tone would be easy; it isn't.  This is key and the next thing a consultant can help with is to determine if your skin tone is cool, warm or a combination, because this will determine the blush and eye shadow shade range that's best for you. 

Just remember, once you commit, makeup becomes a religion.