Jump to content
  • Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

    We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Biden authorizes GCS for Vets!


Recommended Posts

Just read that Biden announced he will direct the VA to offer bottom surgeries to vets in the VA system.  Boom!

Link to comment
  • Admin

I heard that, too.  But it was my understanding that it is something that requires Congressional authorization.  I guess we'll see pretty soon.

 

Carolyn Marie

Link to comment

What?  I'll believe it when I see it.

It this is real it could be a game changer for a lot of people.

Link to comment
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

Would probably be a game changer for me. I just wonder what hoops you are going to have to jump through. 

 

Kymmie 

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...
On 6/19/2021 at 1:33 PM, Bri2020 said:

Just read that Biden announced he will direct the VA to offer bottom surgeries to vets in the VA system.  Boom!

Only bottom surgeries?

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Davie said:

I found this:

 

Biden's Veterans Affairs secretary tells Pride event the government will pay for free gender reassignment surgery for up to 4,000 transgender vets 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9706735/Bidens-Veterans-Affairs-secretary-announces-VA-pay-transgender-vets-reassignment-surgery.html

 

 

 

Wow… does that reporter not have an editor? Sheesh.

 

It’s still a bit unclear, to me at least. The author defines GCS as changing a “person’s body,” but it isn’t. GCS is specific to the vaginoplasty or phalloplasty. There’s still 4 possible surgeries that don’t necessarily fall under the definition of GCS, but some or all of them are necessary.

Link to comment
  • Forum Moderator

The friends i have who are using the VA for their medical as well as gender issues are very pleased with the care their gender issues are receiving at this point.  It is good to see support and hopefully insurance plans that have refused in the past will start to pay for care.

 

Hugs,

 

Charlize

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Charlize said:

The friends i have who are using the VA for their medical as well as gender issues are very pleased with the care their gender issues are receiving at this point.  It is good to see support and hopefully insurance plans that have refused in the past will start to pay for care.

 

Hugs,

 

Charlize

Thanks,  @Charlize Good to have real experience behind the news source.

Link to comment

I can also confirm that, at least at the VA Hospital I go, the care for Trans Veterans is light years above what it was 20 years ago.

 

As for President Biden's desire for the VHA to cover Trans related surgeries, here is the information that I have been given.  My therapist is the head of the LGBT care at my local VA hospital, and she says that the process was actually started before the Trump administration, and the public comment phase had already been completed.  When Trump was elected, the process stalled....no big surprise there.  President Biden has directed the VHA to pick the process up again at the point it had reached.  This means that there is no need for a new public comment phase, and is more getting the final approval, funding and working out the logistics of executing the plan (whether the VA will hire surgeons to preform the procedures or if they will do a community based care system using private sector surgeons).  They will also need to figure out how many procedures can be done annually, based upon the allocated budget.   According to my therapist, the projected timeline for this is 2+ years, if approval is granted.

 

Anything can happen in the timeframe.  If the balance of power shifts in Congress, or a less LGBT administration is elected, the process could well be shelved again.  While it is great that this issue is being addressed again, at this point there is no guarantee that it will ever happen.  There is now, however, hope, and that goes a long way. 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, MiraM said:

…(whether the VA will hire surgeons to preform the procedures or if they will do a community based care system using private sector surgeons). 


This right here is what concerns me. While my endocrinologist and dermatologist have been fantastic, every other department I’ve dealt with has been a comedy of errors.

 

The only way I’d be okay having the VA cover my surgery is it it’s fine via community care.

Link to comment

Was it just me, or did anyone else notice that this caps at 4000 veterans? My question, supposing the government manages to get everything in place, is what happens to the rest of us, AND, how will the 4000 be selected?  Call me cynical, but the government in general, and the VA in particular aren't very competent...

Link to comment

He was probably TOLD to make it 4,000 lol. Joe's not actually the one in charge, clearly lol. (He's pretty much told us as much at his sad excuses for press conferences. They're just called that for appearances; one shouldn't actually expect Joe to CONFER with anybody LOL. XD

Link to comment
  • Forum Moderator

@Charlize I will agree with what you have been told. All my care that I have received from the VA since I started going there. I have zero complaints. In regards to my transition it is the same. At the VA I am treated with the respect a lady deserves. I can use what ever bathroom I chose. Again mostly the ladies. I have an assigned GYN who is fantastic. I am referred in the proper female nouns, and Ms, Miss.

 

Next time I visit my GYN I will as her what the VA is actually doing and what they may offer. I know that they will do an Oci . But I would like top surgery before bottom. Maybe FFS. I will report what I find.

 

Kymmie

Link to comment

I'm not gonna hold my breath.  

I admit this could be fantastic if it plays out.  I always assumed this was totally out of reach.

Link to comment
On 8/31/2021 at 9:08 AM, Marcie Jensen said:

…the government in general, and the VA in particular aren't very competent...


 

948DD842-9BA2-4B9B-BF24-86A3B020AC56.jpeg

Link to comment
7 hours ago, KymmieL said:

@Charlize I will agree with what you have been told. All my care that I have received from the VA since I started going there. I have zero complaints. In regards to my transition it is the same. At the VA I am treated with the respect a lady deserves. I can use what ever bathroom I chose. Again mostly the ladies. I have an assigned GYN who is fantastic. I am referred in the proper female nouns, and Ms, Miss.

 

Next time I visit my GYN I will as her what the VA is actually doing and what they may offer. I know that they will do an Oci . But I would like top surgery before bottom. Maybe FFS. I will report what I find.

 

Kymmie


You have a GYN and haven’t had bottom surgery yet?

 

Should I have one? What does your GYN do for you?

 

Sorry to be all nosy. You can ignore me totally or PM me if you want to.

Link to comment
7 hours ago, Jandi said:

I'm not gonna hold my breath.  

I admit this could be fantastic if it plays out.  I always assumed this was totally out of reach.


Fantastic based on how they implement it. I’m not sure I want the VA being in charge of that particular surgery.

 

I’m not looking to be “Hedwig and The Angry Inch” over here.

Link to comment
  • Forum Moderator

@Phoenix no problem. my GYN is prescribing/monitoring my HRT, now. She helped me get HRT. With my history of blood clots, she worked with my endo, phlebotomist, and the anti coagulation team to get me on hormones.

 

  I was actually shocked when I got the call wanting to get me an appointment with the Woman's Clinic. Her and her staff are fantastic. Any question or concerns are answered, straight and honest. No gov BS.

 

You may want to check with your primary medical provider.

 

Kymmie

Link to comment
On 9/5/2021 at 6:11 AM, KymmieL said:

@Phoenix no problem. my GYN is prescribing/monitoring my HRT, now. She helped me get HRT. With my history of blood clots, she worked with my endo, phlebotomist, and the anti coagulation team to get me on hormones.

 

  I was actually shocked when I got the call wanting to get me an appointment with the Woman's Clinic. Her and her staff are fantastic. Any question or concerns are answered, straight and honest. No gov BS.

 

You may want to check with your primary medical provider.

 

Kymmie


That’s interesting, thank you. I just went straight from the LGBT coordinator to the transition counselor and on to endocrinology.

Link to comment

I might be completely wrong but since this is all new territory (the surgeries) for the VA system, I'm guessing they will contract it out kinda like Kaiser does for me. They authorise you to see someone out of network who does stuff they don't do in house.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 4:19 AM, Bri2020 said:

I might be completely wrong but since this is all new territory (the surgeries) for the VA system, I'm guessing they will contract it out kinda like Kaiser does for me. They authorise you to see someone out of network who does stuff they don't do in house.


I sure hope so. But I’m also signing up for Medicare in November. I understand Medicare covers all necessary surgeries. So I figure either way, I’ll get what I need.

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

I know I have seen Dr. outside the VA. Dermatologist, Urologist, and Cardiologist. All at no cost to me. With my therapist leaving and moving to TX. I have asked her to do a care in the community consult. 

 

They might just do the same for transition related surgeries. I am wondering what happens if I get on the list for a surgery and the idiot in the white house changes will that make the list null and void?

 

Kymmie

Link to comment
12 hours ago, KymmieL said:

I am wondering what happens if I get on the list for a surgery and the idiot in the white house changes will that make the list null and void?

I'm kinda expecting this actually, considering the target on our backs these days.  So I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Link to comment

Gotta say that I agree with Jandi. I guess this makes me a cynic, but hey, we seem to be electing idiots with greater and greater frequency these days.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)

    • WillbeAlice
    • Maria Viklund
    • Petra Jane
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      76.5k
    • Total Posts
      717.3k
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      9,496
    • Most Online
      8,356

    LauraMarie
    Newest Member
    LauraMarie
    Joined
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Shawnster
      Shawnster
      (52 years old)
  • Posts

    • Carolyn Marie
      Welcome to Trans Pulse, Jen.  Glad you're here, and please let us know what questions you have and how we can help and support you.   HUGS   Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      Welcome to Trans Pulse, LauraMarie.  I'm sure we can learn as much from you as you can from any of us.  You are a pioneer!  Congrats on your long marriage, too.  We welcome your contributions to these forums.   HUGS   Carolyn Marie
    • Zelaire
      I really liked that, Ticket! Now I'm looking up more of her music...
    • Zelaire
      I waver and waffle, but I usually wind up on the right side of the hill by the end. I suppose it's a combination of letting myself feel the feelings, then taking steps to move forward. Sometimes it's journaling about my feelings and tracking them back and forth in words. Sometimes it's having a conversation with a friend or my wife. Sometimes it's a nap. When things are really bad, I think of my wife and kids and how much I love them and how I would march through fire for them.
    • Zelaire
      Welcome, LauraMarie! 😊
    • Delcina B
      Welcome Laura Marie! Glad you're here. I stopped to think what my life was like in 1992. It wasn't transitioning, I was deep in the corner of a dark closet, with a lot of self hate & denial. How did you come to accept you as you? Was there any support?   Hugs! Delcina 
    • CD Rachel
      I am having a difficult time with this hiding. So I think I am going to start pushing my boundaries. This week I came out to a friend at work. He is supportive and told me he is available if I need to talk. I then spoke to my brother and he and his wife now know. They both told me that they still love me and though they do not understand that this is about my happiness and they want me to be happy. I plan on talking to my sister soon. Then the hard part will be talking to my son, he worries me the most but this must be done. Then i will start to look at work. I would like to be full time by the end of this summer.   Done hiding!    ~Rachel 
    • Delcina B
      Welcome Jen! Glad you're here. Hope you find the wonderful support, advice & acceptance here as I have.   Hugs! Delcina
    • KymmieL
      Well had a good feeling today. Our apt is about 50 yrds from the parking lot. It is a PIA. SO today I am walking out to do some work on the wagon. Get her ready for the road trip tomorrow.   I notice that my pony tail is bouncing as I walked. Just like a girls does. I made me feel great.   Kymmie
    • LauraMarie
      Same here! 
    • Artpetal
      Hi it's nice to meet you
    • Artpetal
      I'm naturally a happy person and it's only the bad things that have made me more timid over the years. It's easy to be happy and it's difficult (with a -cult) to be upset...
    • Jandi
      Of course. IMG_0414.HEIC
    • Jani
      Knowing that I am stronger than all the crap thrown at me over my lifetime.  
    • Hannah Renee
      I forgot to mention. Second day on my new job. Yesterday was all paperwork, today was all over the plant. Introduced to everyone as Hannah, and she this, her that. So awesome. Then I found out that my name badge can't have Hannah on it until I legally change my name. Not what I was initially told.😟 It actually didn't hit me all that hard at first, until I was introduced to a couple of folks in the same job who had their name badges hanging on their shirt pockets. Got kinda triggered.😬
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.
×
×
  • Create New...