• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What It’s Like to Medically Transition As a Nonbinary Person

Thanks for sharing this, @Davie.  Though it was written in August, 2018, most of the issues it raises are still very relevant.  Non-binary folks (like me) who wish to undertake HRT have many unique issues.

A few counterpoints, having read the article:

• Unlike the general impression imparted in the article, the care I receive at Fenway Health in Boston is very supportive and caring.  When I inquired of my doctor how many of her patients identified as non-binary, she replied that it was probably around 10% to 15%.  My impression is that we're a growing segment of their patients. While adjustments are the doctor's call to make (either after I request them, or the doctor reviews test results), as it should be, whether to continue or not is my decision alone.  My own reaction to estrogen has been interesting.  Like for many, the initial changes to body and mind came on suddenly.  But over time, the clear and most important benefit for me was how the dysphoria pretty much disappeared.  If I were to discontinue estrogen, that dysphoria is very likely to return, and that's become a strong motivator to continue.
  • I've had time, over these now 27 months and counting, to adjust to my body's changes.  That's a really good thing.  I've come to find that being a non-binary person with small breasts and a ponytail does not make me into a walking neon sign that everyone will notice.  It's not nearly as big a deal as I once thought it might be, prior to starting HRT.  And the benefits, for me, are apparent and welcome.  Thus, I plan to continue.
  • The article spent time describing HRT attempts outside medical supervision.  I really cringed reading that.  I understand the author was trying to realistically relate the dilemmas that some non-binary folks face that force them into such a choice.  But the potential dangers of taking that route were not sufficiently described.
  • The points made about the incongruities between trans binary and trans non-binary people was spot on.  We're not trying to pass, even if we could, for example.  Some people don't yet grok that.

So, thanks for sharing the link.  Definitely nice to see a more in-depth article on some of the issues faced by non-binary people.

Best,

Astrid