• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hello 👋

Glasscloset

I don’t really know where to start. I come from a very traditional Catholic family that had very rigid expectations of gender roles. I never fit that mold, I was the 2nd youngest of a family of 10. I had 7 older brothers and I was always a very feminine kid, I preferred to spend time with my younger sister and female cousins. I was always trying to avoid doing the typically masculine activities. I wasn’t ashamed right away that I was so different because despite the expectations for the most part I was able to avoid doing the things I didn’t want to do. I remember the first time I felt ashamed was I was playing with my sister and she had this beautiful purple princess dress. I put it on once and for a brief moment I was so happy, it felt right but then my sister came into the room, I don’t remember exactly what she said or did but I remember insisting to her that I didn’t really have the dress on I had just put my arms through the sleeves. I just know that after that i would try harder to do more masculine things which I failed at most of the time but a lot of the way I expressed myself through fashion after that was hyper masculine in a very conservative way. This continued until I was about 20. All this gender confusion was also combined with the fact that I very clearly was attracted to both girls and guys. This isn’t something I really struggled with oddly enough partially because I didn’t fully acknowledge it to myself but also because it was just another sin to confess/ that was inevitably gonna get me sent to hell. At the end of high school I had started dating this girl who had also gone to my school and we both left the church when we were about 20 and had a wave of realizations, primarily about religion but a big one was that we both came out to each other as bisexual. I think a year or so later she was taking a gender studies course and it was something we talked about a lot. The class very heavily focused on how gender was a construct and I sort of took on the label of gender nonconforming at that point and I decided I didn’t care what pronouns were used so I didn’t bother asking anyone to change them. I did start to present in a more feminine way at that point, but always in a way that was clear that I was dressed as a feminine man, for instance I would wear women’s pants but never a skirt or a dress. It continued like this for a while. The biggest change came after a couple of me and my girlfriend’s other friends from high school who had also come out as gay or bi to us introduced us to a couple of their trans friends when we were visiting them. This wasn’t something we had really been exposed to or thought about. I without really having thought through it or come to any specific realization said something to her one time about maybe being interested in what it would be like to be a woman. I don’t fully remember what I said but I will never forget what she said. She started to cry and asked me why I would want to destroy my beautiful body. Looking back on that moment is hard for me because if that had gone differently I probably would have started transitioning when I was 21 or 22 but immediately I took it back and apologized. I said that I didn’t really mean it and was just saying things. It was such a short interaction and I almost immediately shut off that part of my brain after that. I didn’t connect it to that conversation at the time but she started to bring up terf like talking points pretty often after that point, or just bring up that she didn’t understand trans people because gender was fake. We continued dating in a pretty on and off rocky way until I was 25. At that point we had become pretty interdependent. In a large part because my family is pretty toxic and I had a lot of fear about coming out to them and I ended up going very limited to no contact with them. I’ve spent the last 5 years sort of rediscovering myself as an individual person. I’m a pretty introverted person in general and that combined with the pandemic (which has made me borderline agoraphobic) has left me very isolated. In the past 2 I’ve just been in this weird sort of limbo. As soon as I found out that you could change your gender marker in my state when you renewed your license I switch it to non-binary and that was something I started to think about more in depth. Despite that I still was struggling with feeling trans enough since nobody who saw me would assume I was anything other than a guy. The more I’ve thought about it the more I’ve realized that I feel closer to being a woman than I do to being a man. Every time someone “mistakes” me for a woman on the phone (happens pretty frequently) I don’t correct them and feel a wave of euphoria. I’ve started dressing more feminine at home and will multiple times a week come to the conclusion that I am a woman but that’s followed almost immediately by feeling like I am not trans enough and that I’m afraid that I waited too late and now that I’m 30 I’ll never pass (which I know isn’t/shouldn’t be necessarily the goal) or be pretty enough. I just don’t feel strong or brave enough to do anything about it especially since I don’t have a support system. After writing this novel of a post, I honestly feel like there is not even a question to ask because I think I know the answer but something I struggle with in general is that I’ll often identify the problem and know what I should do but be too afraid to do anything to resolve it.

Hi, @Glasscloset and welcome!

I think most of us have been in a similar position.  Two things I would point out: there is no such thing as "trans enough", and there is no such thing as "left it too late".  A few years ago, I felt much the same as you do now.  It turned out that I was as trans as they come, and I transitioned at age 62.  I am accepted as a woman everywhere I go.  You could be, too.

One thing I would recommend is to find a gender therapist.  You have a lot to talk about, about your fears, your goals, and how to make your goals come about. 

And in the meantime, hang out here.  Explore the various discussion threads and join in whenever you feel like it.  THis is a very supportive place.

Regards,

Kathy

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome!

I’ve had many of the same thoughts and struggles over the years.  I’m finally out and living 100% female at 62.

Prior to seeing a therapist my wife and I worked our way through You and Your Gender Identity: A guide to discovery by Dara Hoffman-Fox. We found it on Amazon and it helped a lot.

I wish you the best on your journey!

Richelle

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 61 Guests (See full list)

• stveee
    • MomTGDaughter
    • Betty K
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Miss Robin
    Newest Member
    Miss Robin

1. Manu
      Manu
      (25 years old)
    2. Spensa
      Spensa
      (34 years old)
    • Jani
      This is good news Kathy. 
    • KathyLauren
      A while back, I submitted an application to Veterans Affairs for support for hearing loss.  My audiologist figured I had a good case, having been around jet engines for several years. Today, the benefits package brochure arrived in the mail.   I now have coverage for hearing services and devices.  I will be ordering a pair of hearing aids soon.   It also covers prescription drugs.  I had been claiming my HRT under my wife's civil service pension plan.  It covered about 75% of the generic patches, but only about 30% of the brand name patches that I prefer.  The Veterans Affairs package covers 100%, including for the brand name patches - I already checked!   And there could also be a small pension on the way for the hearing loss.  I hope to hear about that soon.  And there are various other benefits I could become entitled to in future.   The requirements to be considered a veteran are pretty simple.  You have to have completed Basic Training and have an houourable discharge.   I had heard that Veterans Affairs was pretty generous (my wife used to work for them, so she gave me the scoop), and I am happy to find out that it is true.  I need the hearing aids, and the full ride on my HRT is a nice bonus.
    • Marcie Jensen
      Being of southern descent I use the Southern Woman Variant. I just smile sweetly and say, "Bless your heart" int that Steel Magnolia tone. Works like a charm.
    • Red_Lauren.
      I had to get new wipers for my car, so that meant going to one of the big auto parts stores. I only go to them for fluids, car cleaning stuff, and wipers. Even before my transition. Because they don't carry real parts for my car.   So I walk in after work. I'm looking nice, have makeup on, the whole works. I'm sitting there looking at the wipers. I know what size I need. I'm just comparing the hundreds of wipers.   this 20 some thing man. Asked if I needed help. I'm like nope im just looking for what I want. He asked if I knew what I was looking for. I'm like ysa just wipers. He then asked if I knew what size. At this point I'm getting a little testy. im like a 16 or 18in wiper and a 22in wiper. I can't recall the little one size right now.    He then asked me year, make, and model of my car. I'm thinking this dude doesn't get it. I know what I'm looking for. I told him im know the sizes I need. He wouldn't shut up, so I gave him the stupid info. Hes like you are correct ma'am thats the sizes you need. I must have given him that look every man knows. When a woman is annoyed with them. He didn't speak to me after. Even checking me out.   
    • Trans22
      This sort of statement is true about everything related to my transition. 
    • Ivy
      Well, well well… I never knew.  They're still fun to bust - just not as much.
    • KathyLauren
      I normally keep my headphones level set at 16.  At that level, I don't hear the bulbs breaking.  When I cranked the level up to 90, I heard them.
    • StephieGurl
      I had the connection thing with girls/women as far as I recall which is about 5. Lot's of things I didn't notice because of life events. It is all mostly spelled out in three sequential blog posts, you can start here if your interested - https://stephiegurl.home.blog/2021/07/26/trying-to-look-back-through-the-gender-fog-part-1/.   Good luck. 
    • Marcie Jensen
      @awkward-yet-sweet. Yes, you're correct about transmission wires, they are mostly aluminum; particularly residential service mains (ie: from the power pole to the house). The vandalism was directed at the transformers, though. Electricity is transmitted at about 50000 volts A/C if I recall correctly. Residential power is delivered at 220 volts A/C. The transformers' function is to "step down," or reduce the voltage, the service main wires' function is to deliver the stepped down power. The internal wiring of the transformers can be either copper or aluminum. Copper is more common in transformers because it's more efficient as a conductor.
    • Mmindy
      Welcome Miss Robin,   I'm sure you will find that there are a lot of people here who have the same feelings, and experiences as you. I too, AMAB always thought I should have been a girl, and now a woman. I however took the male over compensation route, doing everything I could to prove to myself, and others that I was a Man. Well I'm done with that, and now I'm transitioning to be the woman I know myself to be. There will be others chiming in to welcome you. Look around, jump in on some conversations, you're among like people here at TransPuluseForums. This is a family friendly site.   Best wishes, stay positive, and motivated.   Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • Mmindy
      Good afternoon everyone,    Here’s a video of my breaking of the lights. I found that I only have sound when I’ve clicked on the page first.  IMG_9073.MOV
    • Miss Robin
      Hi im a 27 year old male or at least thats what they decided to brand me as at birth.   But im not sure about that , i have always for as long as i can remember been very different from other boys . When i was little I always wanted to play with the girls , we played with dolls and dressed up as princesses. When i got older i always had a easier time connecting with girls and spending time with them was much better then hanging out with boys my age.    This continues to this day and i have started thinking that i might feel more connected with them because I somewhere inside always wanted to be a girl. When i was younger i always dreamed at night about turning into a girl and i never missed a chance to have makeup or dress up in my moms clothes.    a few years ago i came out as Bi and i have found that I prefer to be the bottom with men that would pass as straight cis men.   I haven’t thought about this for several years but recently I broke up with my ex and since then i have started to explore with wearing womens clothes again. I bought myself a pair of high rise jeans and panties , i even bought myself a bra .  I also had a girlfriend put makeup on me.   And it just feels right , i feel comfortable in the clothes and i feel complete.   I know you people aren’t therapists but i want to see if somebody have the same experience or can relate.
    • Mmindy
      Good afternoon Stella, (only guessing)   I didn't comment on your September posting, and I love all the responses you received. My original coming out to my wife was much like yours, and the folks here were great help. I'm glad you are working through the issues that come with being in a relationship, and transgender. Suzie and I are two years into my coming out and slow transition. We have more open and honest conversations, even inside jokes now that she knows.   Happy Holidays to you and yours,   Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋 
    • Abigail Eleanor
      Wowie! Well...a bunch of the 80 somethings I've known had great hearing (don't even think of getting away with gossip if they were anywhere near 😷)  
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      😂 Here I was wondering if I was the only one who did that... its like I have a compulsion to do it every time the page refreshes.    I'm going to trot off now, chew on the furniture, shriek a bit, and maybe knock something off a shelf.  I don't belong in the house. 
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.