• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

To Use The Prescription or Not?

awkward-yet-sweet

When I went to the doctor a while ago, among all the other interesting things that happened, I got a prescription for testosterone cream.  Surgery is out of question both due to my personal beliefs and medical complications.  But I've contemplated testosterone as an "easy" way to adjust my anatomy a bit.  I asked the doctor a ton of questions, but I'm still looking for other people's answers to my concerns.

1.  To anyone who has used testosterone, what effect did it have on you?  Side effects?  Masculine enlargement?

2.  My biggest concern is libido.  Did yours increase?  Mine is excruciatingly hard to ignore as it is, so I really don't need that to become an issue. 

3.  Hair effects?  More or less?  Did it increase body hair or reduce head hair? 

Thanks for any input.  💖

1 hour ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

1.  To anyone who has used testosterone, what effect did it have on you?

As a victim of testosterone poisoning, I don't think I'm the one to help you here.   Good luck.

I took topical T back when I was trying desperately to "fix" my (later discovered) asexuality. (Spoiler alert, it didn't work, lol.) The script I was given was whatever dose a "woman" with "low libido" would be given. At the time, I did not yet realize I'm trans either. Therefore, I was not taking it to masculinize - I would guess that would be a higher dose than I was given. I was instructed to apply the T cream behind the knees and back of legs. I did get some increased leg hair while I took it. It had no effect on my lack of sexual attraction or desire. I have researched effects of low dose T for strength building for my disability, and for potentially masculinizing to some degree, but have not pursued either as such. From what I learned, the long and the short of it is that results may vary. Note that when I stopped taking the T, the slight effects reversed. If you're curious, try it. If you're apprehensive, keep a journal and record all your observations and how much you've taken. That will give you more confidence and security. If you don't like what's happening, you can stop with little to no consequences, depending on how long and how much you've taken. I hope this helps you some. 

@Jandi  Well that gives me a whole new aspect to think about.  Had no idea that poisoning was possible 🤔

@Vidanjali  I'm glad that the effects of a trial run can go away.  I suppose that for me, useful journaling would include some measurements? 

@awkward-yet-sweet yes, I should think so, depending on however your intersex-ness manifests. If there are particular changes you expect or desire, then quantitative data recording is useful. I would advise also keeping track of your mood, sleep, energy level, and other aspects of your appearance. 

On 7/7/2022 at 4:43 PM, Vidanjali said:

@awkward-yet-sweet yes, I should think so, depending on however your intersex-ness manifests. If there are particular changes you expect or desire, then quantitative data recording is useful. I would advise also keeping track of your mood, sleep, energy level, and other aspects of your appearance. 

There's just one particular change I'm looking for.  Probably awkward to go about recording data with a caliper, but we will see.  Jandi's thought about poisoning has given me pause....so I'll have to do a bit more looking around before committing. 

Interesting that you were told to apply it to your legs.  I was given different instructions...

11 hours ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

Jandi's thought about poisoning has given me pause....

It's an attempt at humor over having gone  through male puberty.  (and living so long with the "hormonal imbalance")

12 hours ago, Jandi said:

It's an attempt at humor over having gone  through male puberty.  (and living so long with the "hormonal imbalance")

Haha I feel kind of stupid now.  Actually spent time on the internet looking for it.  😂

Having only experienced female puberty, I can't imagine what dealing with testosterone at that time of life could be like. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I started using it about a week ago.  I sort of reached a compromise with my mind - I don't apply the cream myself, I have my husband do it for me.  So far, no real physical changes.  Can't tell if there are any emotional changes yet. 

What happens emotionally anyways?  Would it make me less sensitive and timid?  Because that could be a good thing...

I don't really know what to say.  As a (unknowing) trans girl, it just complicated things for me.

Maybe the trans guys can help you with this.  And good luck.

Was it easier for you to involve your husband, like he's participating and taking the initiative @awkward-yet-sweet ? If female hormones contribute to the sensitivity, then you may experience increased emotional stability. However, since you've been that way for so long, I suspect that those aspects of your personality have become habitual and will likely not change dramatically with T. But, who knows. Tracking your emotional state would be interesting. Observe your thoughts, feelings, and reactions to various situations. Notice if it's any different than what you'd normally expect, even to any small degree. Also consider that as your body changes, you may experience increased confidence, security, and even euphoria. Therefore, your emotional state may change by virtue of that - an implicit side effect, say, of T. 

22 hours ago, Vidanjali said:

Was it easier for you to involve your husband, like he's participating and taking the initiative @awkward-yet-sweet ? If female hormones contribute to the sensitivity, then you may experience increased emotional stability.

Yes, it was a lot easier for me to have my husband help me out.  I hate making decisions, because I'm not very good at it.  So when it is time for the T cream, I sit in his lap and he puts it on while snuggling me. 

I wouldn't mind feeling a bit more assertive and less vulnerable, but we'll see if T has any effect on that.  My disposition may not change at all.  I'm exploring therapy to see if I can come out of my shell a bit, but my initial experience has been more negative than positive.