• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Help! Revision surgery (GCS) needed again!

Kasumi63

Hello, everyone.

This is an awkward topic to talk about, but I don't know where else to turn. About a year and a half ago, I had bottom surgery (sigmoid colon vaginoplasty) here in Okinawa. The surgery was relatively successful, in that I had decent depth, albeit with dilation being a bit of a struggle; however, I had some colon protruding from the vaginal opening. I had revision surgery several months ago, and the main problem was solved, but now the opening has gotten very narrow, so narrow in fact that I doubt I could have sex. This is very upsetting. Of course, I will talk about this with my surgeon soon, but I'm beginning to think I should turn elsewhere.

At this point, I've stopped worrying about my own pleasure, and just want to get to the point where I can have relatively normal sex. Inside is fine, it seems, with plenty of width and depth; it's just that the opening is very narrow, making sex impossible. For dilation, I have had to switch to a very narrow dilator (shaped like a thick pencil), and I start bleeding when trying to force in a wider dilator, even the ones I used to use before the revision. So very, very frustrating. When dating, knowing that I can't have sex, I can't stop thinking about this, so I'm starting to get upset.

Has anyone dealt with a narrow opening? Has anyone switched to a different surgeon for revisions, especially something like what I'm struggling with? Any recommendations for surgeons who will accept patients who had their initial surgery elsewhere? 

If I go somewhere else, I want to make absolutely sure that I'm with an experienced, highly qualified surgeon.

Advice would be deeply appreciated.

• Admin

The condition is called a Fistula and a Stenosis of the inner "ring".  It is not common, but it does happen in around 5% of GCS.  It does happen in Cis women as well, so a gynecologist might be able to help you by prescribing a different set of dilators, or it might require surgery to loosen the ring up. 

Thanks for the feedback, Vicky. Would be wonderful if dilation alone could do the trick, but it's not looking that way. It's the ring at the entrance that's really narrow. 

It's really depressing because it's completely impossible to have sex now. This makes me feel really self-conscious about dating. The thought that I'll never be able to have sex again--after all this--is really upsetting. I'm focussed on dilation now, but it looks too crowded down there to make much progress. Anyone else have to deal with this? It's looking like surgery is gonna be needed . . .  I feel like I can't move on with my life until this gets taken care of. Ugh. Sorry for venting.

• 2 months later...

I had this same thing happen. It’s called a ‘ring scar contracture’. A fistula would be a protrusion if another organ into another organ (i.e. rectal wall rupture into the vaginal canal and fecal matter coming into the vagina). I had this ring scar occurs twice needing two revision surgeries to correct it. I used the same surgeon each time. After my second revision, research shows that injection of a steroid into the introitus to prevent scarring that leads to a narrowed opening. Since starting this I have no issues dilating! I’ll be happy to go into detail with you if you’d like to PM me. 

• 4 months later...
On 11/14/2022 at 8:28 AM, Kylie said:

I had this same thing happen. It’s called a ‘ring scar contracture’. A fistula would be a protrusion if another organ into another organ (i.e. rectal wall rupture into the vaginal canal and fecal matter coming into the vagina). I had this ring scar occurs twice needing two revision surgeries to correct it. I used the same surgeon each time. After my second revision, research shows that injection of a steroid into the introitus to prevent scarring that leads to a narrowed opening. Since starting this I have no issues dilating! I’ll be happy to go into detail with you if you’d like to PM me. 

Kylie and Kasumie63 I am here too.  
I know the feelings your saying about being with a man at this time Kasumi.   I’m seeing a guy who’s into me and knows about me.  And he’s long. 

Hoping there are further steps that can help us both make it better like Kylie. 

I am sorry you two are experiencing this. If you feel your surgeons are not giving you the help you need, go elsewhere. I was lucky my surgeon would not give up. Unfortunately I think based off stories I’ve seen some have to seek other surgeons to get the help they need.