• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Technology keeps deadnaming me

Oceans3

Hey everyone, 

I did it! Transitioned legally with a new birth certificate and passport that say gender: X, and court/marriage paperwork that changed my first/middle/last name.

HOWEVER, even though I have updated my profile info with my previous gmail account, my deadname is showing up when people receive my messages. For example, even when I forward something from old email to new email (where I have no contacts set up) -deadname.  My (supportive) uncle says that his phone is malfunctioning similarly-when he is in a text conversation with me it shows my deadname. When he goes to the details of the conversation, and even the pop up notification, it's correct/current.

The help forums for google suggest things I've already tried, that look like changes have been made on my end but don't effect outgoing messages.

Help?

As you have found out, Google policy is to allow you to change your "send as" email info, but not the name associated with the account itself.  

So, one way to test this would be to create a brand new Google account with your new name, set up gmail for it, etc., and do some test emails to make sure all is well (there should be no connection to your deadname, but that's why we're testing it).  Then, and only then, if all is well, **and if you no longer need any data/mail associated with your old Google account**,

delete that old account permanently:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32046?hl=en

Good luck and best wishes,

Astrid

I have created a new name email I'm using as my primary, but I worry that old friends might reach out through deadname or college email so I've been checking them. Which is how I accidentally responded to a message from old email, and found out. Thanks for the tips

ALSO, both experian and equifax are so frustrating. I submitted every document they requested to change my name on my credit report, and it worked! We even bought our house and the underwriter didn't see my deadname in all their financial research - which I thought was amazing. BUT the emails I receive from experian/equifax are still addressed to deadname. And when I called to ask why, they wanted me to submit all the documents AGAIN. 

31 minutes ago, Oceans3 said:

I have created a new name email I'm using as my primary, but I worry that old friends might reach out through deadname or college email so I've been checking them. Which is how I accidentally responded to a message from old email, and found out.

Are emails to your old deadname address being forwarded automatically to your new address?  That's an option, I believe.  That way, you can respond/answer them by starting the email entirely from your new email, rather than doing a reply from the old email.

I'll look into it -my old address was running out of storage space so I was hesitant to connect that much incoming junk to the fresh new one.

Forwarding, once enabled, handles only new incoming messages and sends them on to your new address.

Migrating is the term used for sending all your old messages to a new address. It's often involves 3rd party software and can be problematic. 

I'd recommend forwarding as the preferred approach.

Astrid